Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I caught last night's episode right now. It's sad when I look at episodes in the past, and just see how much this company has fallen on hard times, including the lighting, sound/audio, and overall energy in the show.

The odd part is, Impact isn't too bad per say, it features solid action. It's just inherently lifeless and boring. Literally Impact reminds me of WCW Saturday Night. Lengthy matches, canned episodes with canned audio, dim lighting, etc. Not a whole lot changes, you can easily miss episodes and not skip a beat.

Are there plans from Callis and D'Amore to improve the overall visuals of TNA/Impact? Will Impact start getting the top notch production they once had? Otherwise, are we all just wasting our times by continuing to watch these episodes? I barely keep up with it, just caught last night's out of curiosity.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
sadly some people in here will defend every last thing about them. I have watched this company since 2002 and i have the right to say the product is bland as fuck right now. Its still the same old shit and anthem has been in charge for at least a year now.

I understand the new guys have only been in for a little bit but it seems they are not driving any creativity.

I get it they have like zero budget and yes they have brought in some great talnet.But if you dont create a brand of your own and steer its direction, Your product comes off flat.

Nwa is an example of a brand with nothing but a belt and 3 wrestlers. It has already passed impact by miles right now with having its own direction.

i will not stick around forever with the product like this. It is boring as fuck seeing a weekly show just be filled with matches and no story telling between them.

I still have high hopes for april but sadly its in the impact zone again which also is something that kills the product. i still think Don is very good and scott can set up good matches, But why the fuck would u give aries a cheap pop 3 minutes after he debuts.

So im excited to see what they do and next tapings they have absolutely no excuse to have not created a direction

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I understand some people need shiny things to be entertained. For me however it starts with the actual product as in the in ring action and story lines. Now they do need to work some on that but it for most part is really good. Yes better production will be nice but that will come once Impact can start making money. They are rebuilding and that will take time. I would rather have good product and poor production than poor product and good production which we saw at the end of WCW.

Reactions: MrFlash

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I understand some people need shiny things to be entertained. For me however it starts with the actual product as in the in ring action and story lines. Now they do need to work some on that but it for most part is really good. Yes better production will be nice but that will come once Impact can start making money. They are rebuilding and that will take time. I would rather have good product and poor production than poor product and good production which we saw at the end of WCW.
i sure did not mention anything shinny and i for one am saying the product is bland right now. Im sure sure how long everyone here has watched this company for but if anyone thinks this is better than its been, well you clearly have convinced yourself of that. If the product was good right now people would be talking about it.

its a generic wrestling show at the moment, They will not grow in that state. I do feel they will change that direction starting in april.

We will have to see.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Impact right now is literally WCW Saturday Night or WCW Worldwide. No growth will occur from this. First off, with this production and presentation, who in their sane mind would literally spend 45 dollars on a PPV? Why not just offer it on GWN? Second, who will even put up their money to attend a show when the current promotion looks like what it does? Not even TNA in 2005 was like this.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
i sure did not mention anything shinny and i for one am saying the product is bland right now. Im sure sure how long everyone here has watched this company for but if anyone thinks this is better than its been, well you clearly have convinced yourself of that. If the product was good right now people would be talking about it.

its a generic wrestling show at the moment, They will not grow in that state. I do feel they will change that direction starting in april.

We will have to see.
Never said you did. I was referring to people who complain about the presentation.

I think you are looking at the past with rose glasses. Do you forget all the bad stuff that happened even before Hogan got there. PPV's that main evented with former WWE and WCW talent. Jarrett putting himself over and over and over. People talking about a product is not always the best gauge. Lots of people talk about WWE and there are some great indie companies that people are not talking a lot about.

In example of people painting the past in a different color these days would be AJ Styles. He was always great in the ring but often in the past people complained that he was boring outside of it and no character. Now they act like he was always great in all aspects.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I dont think you understand me. I have also mentioned many times they have brought in a bunch of good talent. Its not about whos main eventing.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never said you did. I was referring to people who complain about the presentation.

I think you are looking at the past with rose glasses. Do you forget all the bad stuff that happened even before Hogan got there. PPV's that main evented with former WWE and WCW talent. Jarrett putting himself over and over and over. People talking about a product is not always the best gauge. Lots of people talk about WWE and there are some great indie companies that people are not talking a lot about.

In example of people painting the past in a different color these days would be AJ Styles. He was always great in the ring but often in the past people complained that he was boring outside of it and no character. Now they act like he was always great in all aspects.
Actually AJ Styles was considered a special and amazing talent even then. People always said WWE should try and lure him. He was the alternative to John Cena winning over and over again in WWE back in the day.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Change will come, we're just seeing the early shows of the new teams first week of takings.

It's a marathon not a sprint. Let's see where we are by Bound For Glory.

Paul Heyman took over booking ECW in Sept 1993 but it didn't really start getting a buzz until What? 1995?

Russo took over creative in WWE in April 1997 but Attitude didn't take a strong effect until Spring/summer 1998.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
They are hurt more than anything by lack of resources now. It doesn't matter who's running things if they don't have the money to improve production, bring in new talent/retain talent, and run more live events and big shows.

Even if you say the product is solid, there's just nothing exciting going on and it's been that way for some time now.

They desperately need something to jump start the product. I've been a fan for many years and my interest has been declining and now is almost non-existent. They don't have the great matches and athletes that NJPW has and they don't have the top notch production and presentation that WWE has.

They just aren't offering anything that makes them relevant.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Nwa is an example of a brand with nothing but a belt and 3 wrestlers. It has already passed impact by miles right now with having its own direction.
I think the documentary style that NWA does is interesting but Billy doesn't have the cash or backing to pull it off. They're not even running their own shows & are piggy backing off of Indy Feds.

As far the situation with Impact goes, it's been 1 set of tapings so far....I don't know what people were expecting to be honest. In my opinion, I could care less about production values. ECW never had top notch production & I enjoyed the product. ECW had three things in their favor though; creativity, good booking & the other was CROWD ENERGY. The current era of wrestling is uncreative across the board, bookers don't know how to get over the talent, and the crowds are dead.

As far as the 'Impact Zone' goes, they should move out... I have trouble understanding why don't. The people that go, don't pay so the company doesn't receive any revenue. The rent must be cheap.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Impact is constantly changing over time. Anthem bought it, brought JJ in and made a bunch of changes. Then they realized Double J is a cancer to the company, and a lot of guys he brought in left. They have Eli Drake, El Patron, Johnny Impact, and Austin Aries right now. EC3 and Lashley are still there for now as far as the canned shows, and both have been major players for the last few years. Guys like Matt Sydal are rising up.

They don't have the money to afford great equipment. Maybe if more fans started investing in the product instead of just complaining, it would be better. Taped shows suck in comparison, but it is what it is. A lot of the changes Anthem made were really JJ's fault, and now we are seeing a fresh start in a way. Less of the bad, more of the good. Still beats Raw and Smackdown, and won't kill your love for wrestling like WWE.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I'd support Impact to be like WCW Saturday Night atm, but it def isn't. b/c that show was actually you know, well done, got my interest & had well built angles for a number of years. Wasn't just a C-show for low card talents like it was in its last year and a half.

Don't notice the production for Impact as an oversight, nor is it anything that necessarily matters much for me outside of the ghastly, clearly noticeable canned commentary. The rest of the product being life draining is far more of a concern. Any more One Night Only type 20% effort matches that go 10 minutes per week to kill time b/c they got nothing else currently is one aspect that's hard to stomach atm.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I expect some of the seasoned posters on here to know better... but thats just me being naive. IW have said multiple times you'll see small changes at each set of tapings. No one is interested in a hard reboot again.

I still fucking hate the indie taped matches (which are slowly going) and the dubbed commentary (since JB left they were in a tough spot) but these will change over time.

I do laugh at the post that said the NWA has more buzz. Putting out a 5 min video on youtube every week doesn't mean shit. Since the owner is now going on a reunion tour don't expect much to change.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Intoner
6,590 Posts
I liked this weeks episode.

Good matches. They were both solid in ring action and fun.
Storylines are okay too. Cant call them great, but character building (Allie for example) and storyline development (Johnny's #1 contedership) seems smart and simple.]

Music themes got better and editing is bearable.

I agree about the lights. It's a bit better than it used to be but still not quite good.

Lack of energy is debetable as LAX, oVe, Rosemardy, Cage and Aries seem interesting to me and I want to follow what's next for them.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Its been 2 tapings and they spand over months each time sadly. You can tell their really not creating much of a 2 hour formst for filming during these tapings. Its dramatically effecting how the show feels. You have separate back stage stuff filmed and a bunch of old matches being shown during the show now. Plus those horrible indy matches. Its entirely killing the 2 hour format.

People can go on all they want about how the impact zone is free. But if they dont act like every other small promotion and at least do a bunch of tapings in a fe1 different venues a year. They wont servive

You have to earn one fan at a time and we all know how that is done. Ottawa clearly is not a hot bed like Toronto or other American cities.

I do understsnd they want to establish the change first but what needs change now is simply who are we wjo is impact and why do we stand out. And the story telling character development. Thay doesn't take a year to figure out.

Because as i said before right nkw it feels like a flat feeling general promotion. When in fact msny imdy promotions are standing out compared.

Im here becuase tna was my and our baby since 2002. Just simply saying what has gone down hill and needs to change to grow. People want a reason to get behind something.

I dont care about the stage but they should be getting away from anything from the past generarion and use something that is simple yet is a idenity.

All i know is clearly people are not getting onboard for this product right now. So shit has to change for them

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd support Impact to be like WCW Saturday Night atm, but it def isn't. b/c that show was actually you know, well done, got my interest & had well built angles for a number of years. Wasn't just a C-show for low card talents like it was in its last year and a half.

Don't notice the production for Impact as an oversight, nor is it anything that necessarily matters much for me outside of the ghastly, clearly noticeable canned commentary. The rest of the product being life draining is far more of a concern. Any more One Night Only type 20% effort matches that go 10 minutes per week to kill time b/c they got nothing else currently is one aspect that's hard to stomach atm.
That's what I'm comparing Impact to now, the tail end of WCW Saturday Night which was a C show for low card talents, no storylines, canned production, canned commentary, etc.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Actually AJ Styles was considered a special and amazing talent even then. People always said WWE should try and lure him. He was the alternative to John Cena winning over and over again in WWE back in the day.
Not sure what sites you were on back when AJ was in TNA, especially last couple years, but quite a few fans said he was vanilla. Paring him with Ric Flair helped some as people liked him better as a heel but as a face he was not a big hit.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
AJ Styles was the "face of TNA" basically from its inception. So this is...odd.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts