Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2020, many new laptops don't include optical drives anymore, and people stream more media on the Internet than they watch on optical discs.

I read that Apple's been been phasing out optical drives in its Macs all the way back in 2008 (when they introduced the MacBook Air). Blockbuster Video shut down due to Netflix.

How much longer do you think consoles will include optical drives? I'm sure most game makers would love to see optical media go away. It would save them from having to make discs, shipping, and the other costs associated with physical media. Companies could simply produce a game and sell it as a digital download on their website, like how Steam works.

·
it's a tarp!
5,236 Posts
If you want to sell them as a media system they have to play Blu-Ray and DVD, as many people still own vast movie collections.

Besides how much could the cost of a blu-ray player really add to a console.

·
Premium Member
17,151 Posts
Maybe completely gone on one system's launch come next gen. I know PS5 has 2 versions; one wit, one witout. I don't know about Xbox, but I hope they do the same.

How much longer do you think consoles will include optical drives? I'm sure most game makers would love to see optical media go away. It would save them from having to make discs, shipping, and the other costs associated with physical media. Companies could simply produce a game and sell it as a digital download on their website, like how Steam works.
I agree there's incentive to digital to avoid costs. While I like box art and game manuals, developers have already cut back on the quality there. That's gone except for the special edition releases.

I would like to know the streaming and online services going forward before removing them. The only perk to a drive is for a physical disc of a game. I've never inserted a DVD or Blu Ray into a console to watch; I only download videos now. For the video market, I'd say disc drives are obsolete. the streaming and online services need to make it easy for me to play a PS2 game on the PS5. If I can play PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games, of course PS5, easily on the PS5, I won't need a disc drive. Fix the PS Now app and get rid of drives.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If it happen,better buy physical media from now,who know it would become collector edition or rare collection in future.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,155 Posts
When you get rid of physical media you don't own the games anymore, imagine deleting a game you paid $60 for to make room on your hd for other games, then you want to play it again but it's gone from the server-- this is an inevitability as hd space is limited and server space is limited. If you like a game that's not super popular companies are going to delete it to save money or make room for more popular games, the laws of capitalism demand it.

You don't like the latest WWE 2K, you'd rather play 2K 18 and create your own roster, too bad, they had to make room for yet another battle royal shooter.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
With cloud storage that shouldnt be a issue in the future. microsoft seems to be working on that.

My main issue right now is slow internet speeds and games download sizes doubling every few years. redownloading a game is a nightmare thats over 100 gigs. or big patches. ISPs throttling at 300gs a month when one game is that size is going to suck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts