Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that the world titles are props now. Although with that said how much does winning a world title mean to the actual person? I am not talking about kayfabe. I mean does Cena even care anymore if he wins or is it just another day at the office?

·
Ho!
18,022 Posts
I'm sure if you were a big fan of WWE and you finally won the big one, there is a lot of value for the person in that first win and I'm sure it means a lot of them (i.e. Cena and Miz). And hell, for anyone getting the big one means something to them. I'm sure after a couple of title wins it's just another day at the office.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I'm sure for established guys like Cena and Orton it doesn't really mean much. It's another day at work for them.

But for first timers well I can guaran-damn-tee that if being a pro wrestler was their aspiration, tears will be flowing immediately after winning. But by the 3rd, 4th, 5th title reign it's just another day at work.

·
Rated PG
3,485 Posts
Im pretty sure they care.
So many try and fail/get realised, so if your one of the few who win any title in the biggest wrestling company in the world then it would mean a fuckin' lot!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The World Title Basically Means You Made it to the top of the wrestling world. You'll Likely get paid more because you would have to promote more for the company. So it mean alot for the wrestlers that bust there asses for years.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
We all know that the world titles are props now. Although with that said how much does winning a world title mean to the actual person? I am not talking about kayfabe. I mean does Cena even care anymore if he wins or is it just another day at the office?
When John Cena held the WWE title for just over a year in between 2006 and 2007 the WWE title was portrayed as the most important thing in the world simply because of who was holding the title but when someone who is nowhere near as established or as big of a star is champion the title pales in significance because Vince McMahon will still push the biggest stars in the biggest storylines over the title holder because the big stars are the one's that draw ratings and buyrates.

I'm not saying that i'm a fan of this because in my opinion the WWE title feud should always take priority over anything else because regardless of whether you are the biggest star or not being WWE champion means your the best in kayfabe but Vince McMahon really worries these days about ratings and buyrates which is why Cena/Nexus last year was the biggest storyline in the company. After seeing WWE stocks and shares the other day in a thread on these forums it is no surprise why Vince McMahon is worried because WWE is struggling in comparison to previous years and ratings and buyrates are way down which is why he continues to push John Cena in the main storyline over Orton/Miz.

Some people will say that John Cena is doing nothing for the ratings or buyrates if they are so far down and isn't the draw he is made out to be but without him things would be even worse which is why despite his main injury and also rumours of many other nagging injuries Vince McMahon continues to use John Cena every week. It is fresh to see The Miz as WWE champion and for people like Dolph Ziggler to be a World title match at one of the bog four PPV's but the honest reality is neither of them will draw ratings or buyrates anytime soon because they are not as big a star or as established as John Cena is.

The point i'm making means that unless someone like John Cena, The Undertaker or Triple H are WWE/World champion we will probably not see the WWE/World title feud's being pushed as the main storylines or the title's being seen as important as it once was. Had Triple H returned prior to The Royal Rumble then Orton/Miz and the WWE title would be third in line as top feud on Raw behind Cena/Punk/Nexus and Triple H/Sheamus whilst having The Undertaker around would mean that he would be the main focus of SmackDown ahead of Edge/Ziggler.

It is actually Vince McMahon's own fault for the way things are because he only has around seven or eight truly established wrestler's on the roster now in John Cena, Triple H, The Undertaker, Randy Orton, Edge, Kane, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio and The Big Show and off all of those only one in Edge is a champion whilst everyone else is part of the new youth movement but they should have pushed through with this a couple of years ago. Back in 2008 there were people like Shawn Michaels, Chris Jericho, Batista, JBL and Ric Flair alongside Triple H, The Undertaker, John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge, Kane, CM Punk, Rey Mysterio and The Big Show who were all former or current WWE/World champions and who could have put over younger wrestler's so that they would be established by now and which would mean Vince McMahon having more faith in them as WWE/World champion and making the title feuds the top feuds in the company.

Even in 2009 the majority of those aforementioned names were all around in WWE still and the younger wrestler's in WWE now were either already on the roster but barely getting tv time or were down in OVW or FCW then and the emphasis was on having all of the older or established wrestler's working with each other in 2008 and 2009 and now WWE is paying the price for it. It could realistically take two or three years before the WWE and World title feuds are pushed as the top feuds in the company and the title's take on more significance when John Cena, Triple H or The Undertaker are not holding them because it could realistically take that long before the youth movement is completed, just look at 1993 in WWE as an example because it wasn't until late 1996/early 1997 that we saw results.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,284 Posts
They would care, for there first time but there happiness of winning the title would go down after a few title wins

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
i think the wwe title still means also as much as people hate him cena made it important with that year long run it made the belt very prestigious

now the world title is a different story lol

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
When John Cena held the WWE title for just over a year in between 2006 and 2007 the WWE title was portrayed as the most important thing in the world simply because of who was holding the title but when someone who is nowhere near as established or as big of a star is champion the title pales in significance because Vince McMahon will still push the biggest stars in the biggest storylines over the title holder because the big stars are the one's that draw ratings and buyrates.
This is actually the correct answer in my opinion, it really all depends who is actually carrying the World Championship or WWE Championship. A great athlete who has that true “It” factor will bring prestige, importance, credibility and meaning (you can add booking to the category as well) to the WWE World Heavyweight Championship which will make the titles a real big deal. Just watch the Piper promo on the old school RAW and he will explain it perfectly and to quote one of his lines from that night “In the end of the day, you may have the WWE Championship, but you won’t be no champion, you will just be a joke.” and that goes for guys like The Miz, Sheamus and Jack Swagger who make World titles look like Mid-card titles (though WWE crazy booking ruined Swagger in every shape or form as Champion, Swagger magnificent wrestling ability couldn’t even save him.)

Guys like Triple H, Kurt Angle and JBL played the cocky, cowardly Heel as well but still brought prestige, credibility into the championship, when you stepped into the ring with the likes of Kurt Angle and Triple H, it was still game time. I mean that was one of the reasons why Benoit celebration of winning the World title at Mania was so memorable and special cause he defeated Triple H in the main event on the grandest stage of them all. I mean would it really be that big if Benoit defeated some trash like Miz? for the World title or a big star like Triple H? you take your pick.

Look at Edge’s win over John Cena thus winning the WWE Championship for the first time in his career. Despite Cena was badly hurt, still look how huge that was for Edge? look who he went over who brought alot of prestige to the title at the time to make it more memorable and accomplishment for Edge?

The wrestler defines the championship, simple as that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts