Wrestling Forum banner

How much does the finish of a match matter to you?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins had a fantastic match last night, imo, but some people are claiming it sucked because of the finish (Roman Wins, LOL).

Does the finish of a match matter much to you, or is it the opposite?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
The victor doesn't matter to me as long as the result isn't ridiculous and without merit.

The fashion in which it happens is more important to me personally. I would like for it to make sense if you want to build credibility for a particular competitor though. For instance, if Reigns had beaten Strowman with one arm that would be a bad result. Roman beating Strowman after Strowman fails a diving headbutt makes sense given who Strowman is and who Roman is on the other side, a kayfabe powerhouse. Him beating Strowman in that fashion isn't necessarily bad.

If the storyline is compelling then I am especially far more lenient to the result. The Roman and Rollins match I was indifferent to. If Rollins won I wouldn't have minded. The winner was not that important to me and the match was competitive.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
A finish can ruin the match.

If its too obvious, it takes the drama out of the match you are watching and you wont feel as invested in the actual match. And when the finish comes, instead of it being a climax to the match and a peak of your investment/passion as a viewer, it can make it feel disappointing and even further tarnish the opinion of the match.

So yeah, the finish is a huge part of the overall story and if it sucks, it can damage the match.

·
Going fckin' Over.. while Digging Holes-uhh and Bu
2,610 Posts
Only those who don't win would say that the finish doesn't matter.

It's not just how you play the Game-uhh.

But also how you WIN the Game-uhh.

Must fucking go over.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
The finish last night sucked because Reigns' spear often is SO bad.
He didn't run, he waited for Rollins to run into him, at which point he hugged him, which looked like crap.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Its not always the case, like AJ/KO at Backlash was ended in count out which is a really better finish than one of them actually beating other clean.

But last night's main event was an example of terrible booking.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Well of course the finish matters. A great match can be spoiled by a bad finish, which, in WWE's case happens quite a lot.

I have adhered to the habit of not watching RAW so I can't say much about the Rollins-Reigns match.

·
Registered
24,759 Posts
Like most things its a case by case thing and context matters. In this scenario Rollins and Reigns are both built up beyond a point where a random Raw lost will hurt them, so for me personally I don't give a fuck. This is more "wah Reigns won, see that means he's important". But of course who wins can be very important if not pivotal in certain matches. Like when Miz was facing Lawler for the title it was very important Miz won all of those.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
It really does depend on the match.

Example: Roman Reigns v Dean Ambrose, I cannot for the love of god remember the PPV, but one of which they had a pretty good match, to which I thought was picking up, to thinking we were only half way through. But instead it just ends.

The match itself was okay but the ending kinda made the whole thing forgettable.

I think it depends on the pacing too, if the match is well paced throughout and the ending is very out of know where then maybe it doesn't matter. But when you have a match that builds and builds and then just ends it does feel kind of exhausting and disappointing.

I am not a fan of endings that happen very anticlimactically, if a match is just getting going and then its over, its kind of dull. I see this alot lately, Seth Rollins v Samoa Joe was a recent one for example.

So in a way it can make a match but at the same time it depends on that match that was had before it was over... Hope I made some sense :p

60,001 Posts
Finish is def. important. It needs to be a satisfying conclusion to the story told during the match. The Seth/Roman ending was fine. I just thought it was funny that WWE was so insistent that he get his Wellness wins back from Balor and Seh, and absolutely clean too.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Honestly the finish is pretty much the most important part of the match, and I don't mean just simple disagreement about who wins, just the whole presentation of a finish and how we got to it can change the entire feeling about a match. Say it's a great match up until the finish and then it's just a really stupid convoluted ending that leaves you wondering what the fuck they were thinking, completely takes you out of the experience and makes you sour on the whole thing, at the same time the opposite is true and it's a mediocre match and has an amazing finish, makes the whole match feel like it was better than it was.

Also I don't see why the Rollins/Reigns match even brought up the discussion, like I can get someone disagreeing with Reigns winning (Although with how wins and losses mean absolutely nothing it just feels nitpicky at this point despite how they book him) and they could have been a bit smoother doing it but the finish is fine, a back and forth match ends in Rollins' finisher being dodged and used to set up the Reigns' finisher, all while still having the kayfabe shock of a missed finisher giving it a more out of nowhere feel to Rollins and Reigns picking up the win off of that, if it wasn't Reigns people wouldn't be shitting on that finisher, it was a fine finish, especially for a TV match.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The ending to a match is very important. It's the last thing we see and it's supposed to be the climax of whatever story they're having.

There was nothing wrong with the finish last night, it was well executed. Now if you don't like who won, that's a completely different story.
This. and it's also for this reason why I'm not a big fan of matches ending in DQ.

·
Premium Member
44,386 Posts
It matters a lot. I mean, that's the thing we're waiting for, right? Its the reason we are watching the action, to see who ultimately wins.

-

·
Registered
486 Posts
These super high risk spots that these guys spend so much time perfecting are wasted away because the guy always kicks out.

Like you'll see something crazy.. a spontaneous reversal of a superplex into 360 double armed tornado ddt from the top rope... and the guy kicks out.

No finish is going to top that.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Its not always the case, like AJ/KO at Backlash was ended in count out which is a really better finish than one of them actually beating other clean.

But last night's main event was an example of terrible booking.
and if rollins had beaten reigns youd be calling it great booking, so fucking hypocritical if you ask me

in regard to the question i dont care as long as it makes sense

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,480 Posts
I actually agree with all the options in the poll, strange as it may sound. But yes, mostly it depends on the circumstances. And coming to the Rollins vs Reigns match this past RAW, I'm not complaining about the finish. It was a fantastic match and I'm not at all upset about the finish. Rollins beat Reigns every time they faced each other one on one, so Reigns getting a win over Rollins before they face off in the Fatal 5 Way at Extreme Rules is okay.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Fuckery finishes ruined great matches like Cesaro vs Sheamus at Night of Champions and Cena vs Styles at MITB last year, Cena vs Rollins in 2015

1 - 20 of 25 Posts