Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much are you bothered by continuity errors in tv shows you watch? Personally I hate them. You get caught up in the fictional world of the show with all the characters and their backgrounds, and when certain things conflict with the series' past, it hurts the enjoyment.

A lot of times a show will just be different in the beginning of the series than what is generally accepted to have become canon for the rest of show. I can live with that. But if something is a part of the show for at least half the first season and the writers want to drop it or change it, an explanation should be written into the show.

I'm a big fan of The King Of Queens. One thing I dislike is how when the series progressed, the writers started acting like a lot of stuff from the early seasons never happened. How long Doug and Carrie were married before the series started changes, saying they never had a dog when they had a dog for the first two seasons, how old Carrie was when her mother died changed, Doug's good friend Richie disappears from the show with no explanation, and Doug's sister disappears with no explanation, and isn't even talked about by Doug's parents at gettogethers. Most of that is stuff that could have been solved if the writers had paid more attention to detail, or didn't just assume the viewers would forget.

Friends is one show that, as far as I know, hardly has any continuity errors. As the show progressed the writers paid close attention to a lot of details from the show's past and made a lot of accurate references to them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Friends is one big continuity error! It is infuriating! They get all the characters ages wrong and birthdays wrong throughout series....Ross claims he is scared of ice cream then is eating ice cream in same series...Loads and loads more

I hate continuity errors, it is lazy writing...

I can't think of any shows that don't have continuity errors

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
It depends on the show. If a show is serious about continuity, as in keeping all their threads straights is important to the plot, then yeah, I care a lot. Take The Venture Bros, for example. They were exploring things in season 7 that they had been hinting about since way back in season 1. Continuity matters a lot here.

For a show like Married with Children, however, I couldn't give 2 fucks about continuity. There are many episodes in later seasons referencing how long Al has had his old Dodge, going back to when Kelly was conceived. Yet, there was an episode in one of the early seasons when Al had to get a different car. In the early seasons, Kelly was not the complete moron she ended up being for most of the show. In a flashback though, they showed her as a little girl go from being smart to being an imbecile after she bumped her head because Al slammed on the brakes. Continuity is irrelevant in a show like MWC because there is no real over arching plot outside of each individual episode. In one episode, Al was so blind he couldn't drive and had to get glasses. This was never mentioned again the rest of the series. But who gives a shit? MWC was all about being hilarious.

Long story short, if it is a show that has over arching plots that play out in the long run, yes, continuity is important. If it's just a silly sitcom, they more or less just hit the reset button at the start of every episode. This is something Futurama made fun of The Simpsons for. Futurama had continuity. The Simpsons does not. The characters in Futurama evolved over time. The Simpsons are the same family they were 30 years ago.

I will end on this note. If it does happen to be a show, especially one of the ones on the more serious side that do have long, complicated over arching plots where continuity is very important, yes, it pisses me off to no end when they fuck up their continuity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts