Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know he went home back in 02, when he didn't want to job to Lesnar on RAW. But is there any other incidents where he no showed TV tapings? Was watching an episode of RAW from September 2001, and they were teasing an Austin appearance all through the show, even showing the car park waiting for his arrival but he never showed up? Just wanting to get the low down and all his naughty leavings and what not.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
From what I remember:

The night after WM18 for RAW and SD TV tapings.
The Draft the week after that
The Austin/Lesnar RAW in June 2002
September-October 2005 PPV when he was supposed to wrestle Coach and job to him believe it or not in his return match

He had something with Vince in December 1998 if I remember correctly because he was supposed to get a two weeks vacation for deer hunting or something like that and at the last minute Vince told him that he wanted him for the RAW tapings, I'm sure a lot will happy about that because that was the last minute decision that created the memorable Austin pop in the Rock/Foley match(Aired in 99, taped in 98 for those who don't know).

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Don't think he no-showed in 01, but according to Wiki he did it in 02 before he officially left:

In the build-up to No Way Out, McMahon had re-signed the New World Order, who started a feud with him after (kayfabe) Austin refused a beer gift. Problems in the backstage creativity were however then seemingly beginning to surface. Austin was reported as being unhappy regarding Hulk Hogan's return to the WWF, and was reported as refusing to lose to Hogan in a proposed match at WrestleMania X8, while Hogan reportedly told McMahon the same regarding losing to Austin. Consequently, the match was re-billed as The Rock defeating Hogan, whilst Austin defeated Scott Hall, climaxing his feud with the nWo.

In a surprise altercation the next night on Raw, Austin refused to show up and took a week-long break without the company's consent, claiming exhaustion. McMahon claimed his actions caused fury among fans who had paid to see him that night. Austin returned on the April 1, 2002 episode of Raw, the first of the new "brand extension" era. The show was centered on which show he would sign with, and he ultimately chose Raw. Austin entered a feud with The Undertaker that resulted in a number-one contender's match for the WWE Undisputed Championship at Backlash 2002, which Austin lost despite having his foot on the rope when he was pinned. He would later be betrayed by Big Show, who went on to rejoin the nWo, and Ric Flair. Austin then defeated Big Show and Flair in a handicap match at Judgment Day.

In an interview on WWE television by telephone in May 2002, Austin stunned the company and fans by launching a verbal attack on the direction the company was heading in and slated the creative team for not using him the way he felt they previously did. The commentators struggled to keep Austin's opinions on a neutral wavelength, leading to the WWE apologising to fans for the outburst and stated it was not part of Austin's current or upcoming storylines. McMahon responded a week later on the same show playing down the outburst, claiming that Austin was merely the type of wrestler who was occasionally difficult to work with.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From what I remember:

The night after WM18 for RAW and SD TV tapings.
The Draft the week after that
The Austin/Lesnar RAW in June 2002
September-October 2005 PPV when he was supposed to wrestle Coach and job to him believe it or not in his return match

He had something with Vince in December 1998 if I remember correctly because he was supposed to get a two weeks vacation for deer hunting or something like that and at the last minute Vince told him that he wanted him for the RAW tapings, I'm sure a lot will happy about that because that was the last minute decision that created the memorable Austin pop in the Rock/Foley match(Aired in 99, taped in 98 for those who don't know).
Christ didn't know about the 05 return

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about the Coach thing. Like with the 02 situation with Lesnar, I DO agree with Austin that he shouldn't have been booked to lose to COACH of all people (with Lesnar he shouldn't have lost to him on TV in an unadvertised match), but he shouldn't have just not shown up. Was cool to see VADER and Batista though, Goldust too :p.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I dont know how many times he walked out but he always came back, which is good. and he never truly bashed the WWE. not to my knowledge anyway. so i think that he is awesome and has rightfully earned the Hall of Fame induction!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I thought Austin walked out before for not wanting to put Eddie Guerrero over. Is that true?
I dont believe that is true, if it is, i would be surprised.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
By 2002, Steve Austin's star was in decline in WWE. The heel turn in 2001 was dreadful, and the sight of him buddying up to Vince McMahon irreparably ruined the 'Stone Cold' character. His mystique was gone. By 2002, the company had Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Triple H, Undertaker, Hulk Hogan, The Rock (and Shawn Michaels was due to return) - all of these guys were in direct competition to Austin over the top spot. Following his midcard match at Wrestlemania 18, Austin must've thought, quite simply, 'fuck this' (wouldn't Austin/Triple H have been a better match for him? Or Austin/Undertaker? Putting him against Scott Hall was a waste, quite frankly).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
his decline must be the biggest in wrestling ever he was headlining wm17 half year latter he would go on loose to the rock jericho taker and wins against hall rick flair. didnt create a much of star was set aside at an alarming rate. what did he do to piss mcmahon off?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Austin was just too banged up in 2002. He didn't handle things well though by just walking out. He was frustrated with how he was being booked but I think he knew at that time that he was pretty much done. I think he came back in 2003 because he felt bad about walking out and wanted to try one more run but that didn't last. Oh well. I'm happy we got an amazing year out of him in 2001. I hope he comes back for a couple more matches.

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
I thought Austin walked out before for not wanting to put Eddie Guerrero over. Is that true?
I always thought this, because it looked like they were about to feud. I remember Eddie breaking a beer bottle over Austin's head at a bar or something, in April or May of 2002. Then Austin was gone shortly after. But if I recall correctly, I think I read that Austin wanted a feud with Eddie Guerrero.

It was just bad timing, the feud about to kick off mixed with the Austin / Lesnar thing.

his decline must be the biggest in wrestling ever he was headlining wm17 half year latter he would go on loose to the rock jericho taker and wins against hall rick flair. didnt create a much of star was set aside at an alarming rate. what did he do to piss mcmahon off?
It really is alarming, how quickly Austin faded out. He was THE GUY from April 1998 to mid 1999. Then again, he ruled most of 2001. After the Invasion angle died out, it seemed like people were just really burnt out or uninterested in Austin, much like the later part of 1999, before his hiatus.

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Okay, I did some research and found out that WWE rehired Eddie to feud with Austin but afterwards, Austin walked out over the situation involving Brock Lesnar.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
Can anyone really blame Stone Cold for any of these walkouts?

I mean the Brock one is the most idiotic. Why would they do that to Steve?

After WM18 I would have walked out too. Fuck Hogan, he is the piece of shit that has created this garbage era. He should have hung his boots up with Rock or HBK. Now look at this mess.

In all honesty Hogan is the key component to the really bad periods in this business. While you can make an argument that he causes the success too, look no further than the matches that occur around him when the business is hot for the real answer.

Wrestlemania 3 Andre vs. Hogan... earlier in the card 5 star match Savage vs. Steamboat
Wrestlemania 6 Warrior vs. Hogan... meanwhile in NWA Flair is putting over the red hot Sting at the Great American Bash
Bash at the Beach 96' Outsiders with Hogan defeat Sting, Luger and Savage.... a month earlier Stone Cold wins King of Ring and at Wrestlemania 12 before this Shawn beats Bret.
Starrcade 97' Sting vs. Hogan... a month after the Montreal Screwjob where Shawn and Vince screw Bret and while the Austin character is taking off after Wrestlemania 13.

All these matches leading to the ultimate culmination where Hogan can actually prove he isn't a worthless piece of shit at Wrestlemania 18 where he should be putting over Austin like he should have done with Bret, HBK and Flair, instead he puts over the Rock. Which is nice but ultimately we find out it was because Hogan was trying to stay the alpha male wrestler at a time when he should have been retiring.

Yeah if I were Steve I would have walked out even more. Look at this garbage now.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,607 Posts
Austin actually requested working with Eddie, but everything else just built and built before he had enough and walked out.

·
Premium Member
15,186 Posts
Can anyone really blame Stone Cold for any of these walkouts?

I mean the Brock one is the most idiotic. Why would they do that to Steve?

After WM18 I would have walked out too. Fuck Hogan, he is the piece of shit that has created this garbage era. He should have hung his boots up with Rock or HBK. Now look at this mess.

In all honesty Hogan is the key component to the really bad periods in this business. While you can make an argument that he causes the success too, look no further than the matches that occur around him when the business is hot for the real answer.

Wrestlemania 3 Andre vs. Hogan... earlier in the card 5 star match Savage vs. Steamboat
Wrestlemania 6 Warrior vs. Hogan... meanwhile in NWA Flair is putting over the red hot Sting at the Great American Bash
Bash at the Beach 96' Outsiders with Hogan defeat Sting, Luger and Savage.... a month earlier Stone Cold wins King of Ring and at Wrestlemania 12 before this Shawn beats Bret.
Starrcade 97' Sting vs. Hogan... a month after the Montreal Screwjob where Shawn and Vince screw Bret and while the Austin character is taking off after Wrestlemania 13.

All these matches leading to the ultimate culmination where Hogan can actually prove he isn't a worthless piece of shit at Wrestlemania 18 where he should be putting over Austin like he should have done with Bret, HBK and Flair, instead he puts over the Rock. Which is nice but ultimately we find out it was because Hogan was trying to stay the alpha male wrestler at a time when he should have been retiring.

Yeah if I were Steve I would have walked out even more. Look at this garbage now.
People can say what they want about Hogan but the guy made wrestling what it is today. And you try to blame Hogan for being the contributing factor to the "bad periods" in wrestling? It was Hogan and the NWO who were kicking WWE's ass in the ratings. Hogan turning heel was the biggest moment in wrestling history and 1996 was a bad year, business wise, for WWE.

Hogan was a big draw in wrestling and proved at WM with Rock that he could still be a big draw.

Now some of the reasons Austin walked out for seem pretty selfish, aside from the situation with Brock, if Austin indeed didn't mind to put Brock over on a heavily promoted PPV. It's clear that Austin was paranoid and felt that he might lose his spot with the company, especially due to the condition with his neck. Seems to me that Austin was pissed because WWE had a heavy main event scene and he was no longer the focal point.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
As much as it was unprofessional to do the things he did and could of handled it in a mature way, Austin atleast try to do something about it. He didn’t keep his mouth close if something wasn’t right (unlike a certain Luigi running around smiling and laughing at everything), I honestly don’t blame him one bit for being frustrated at the things WWE wanted. Having the fucking Coach go over him on Cyber Sunday? What the fuck were they thinking?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts