Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only one I can remember is the Rumble where Luger and Hart tied to win it and then there was a mini tournament at WM. Hart won and went on to fight Yokozuna in the main event but lost and then Hogan came out and won the title. Though I think I read that it wasn't originally scripted that way.

But how many Rumble winners in the past didn't win the title at Wrestlemania? Was it more or less than the wrestlers who did win the title at Wrestlemania?

· Registered
8,543 Posts
There have been a few. Off the top of my head, The Rock in 2000 (lost to Triple H), Orton in 2009 (Triple H again), and Nakamura in 2018 (lost to AJ Styles).

Also Austin in 97 and McMahon in 99 didn't challenge for the title at Mania.

· Registered
799 Posts
It wasn't until 1993 that the Royal Rumble winner was guaranteed a world title match at WrestleMania

Here they all are

1993 Yokozuna won
1994 lex luger and breat heart (lex lost. Bret won)
1995 Hbk lost
1996 hbk won
1997 Austin didn't have a titile match at wm due to hbk lost smile
1998 Austin won
1999 Vince won but didn't main event WM. Either a loss (cause he lost his match to soneone) or no contest
2000 the rock lost a fatal four way match at wm
2001 stone cold won
2002. Hhh won
2003 Brock lesner won
2004 benoit won
2005 Batista won
2006 rey mysterio won a triple threat match
2007 taker won
2008 Cena lost a triple threat match
2009 Randy's orton lost
2010 edge lost
2011 Alberto del Rio lost (wow 4 in a row)
2012 shemus won but it wasn't the main event
2013 John cena won
2014 Batista lost a triple threat match
2015 roman reigns lost after seth cashed in money in a bank to make it a three way
2016 hhh won the rumble but it was for the titile and NOT a wm main event (even though roman and him still faced off at wm)
2017 randy ortorn won the wwe title but it wasn't the main event
2018 Shinsuke Nakamura lost
2019 seth rolins win
2020 Drew McIntyre won
2021 edge lost a triple threat
2022 Brock lesner lost

15 rumble winners won the titile at wm. Quite a few triple threats and not main events however

Vince, hhh the only two who didnt get a match at wm for it. Although hhh did end up wrestling the previous champion.
5 of the muti man matches had the winner of the rumble lose

In fact the only time the rumble winner WON at wm in a muti man was Rey Mysterio.

12 lost ( and had a match at wm)
2 didn't have a match at wm due to rumble
Vince is the only person to not be on the card of wm after wining the rumble

(Austin in 97 had a match just not the for the titile)

· Registered
15,516 Posts
Charlotte Flair, Becky Lynch & Bianca Belair have all won their WrestleMania matches. Asuka & Ronda Rousey both lost at WrestleMania.

When it comes the men's winners, they have basically have a 60% chance of going on to win their respective WrestleMania match. I definitely think this percentage should be much higher.

Reactions: DeeGirl

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It wasn't until 1993 that the Royal Rumble winner was guaranteed a world title match at WrestleMania

Here they all are

1993 Yokozuna won
1994 lex luger and breat heart (lex lost. Bret won)
1995 Hbk lost
1996 hbk won
1997 Austin didn't have a titile match at wm due to hbk lost smile
1998 Austin won
1999 Vince won but didn't main event WM. Either a loss (cause he lost his match to soneone) or no contest
2000 the rock lost a fatal four way match at wm
2001 stone cold won
2002. Hhh won
2003 Brock lesner won
2004 benoit won
2005 Batista won
2006 rey mysterio won a triple threat match
2007 taker won
2008 Cena lost a triple threat match
2009 Randy's orton lost
2010 edge lost
2011 Alberto del Rio lost (wow 4 in a row)
2012 shemus won but it wasn't the main event
2013 John cena won
2014 Batista lost a triple threat match
2015 roman reigns lost after seth cashed in money in a bank to make it a three way
2016 hhh won the rumble but it was for the titile and NOT a wm main event (even though roman and him still faced off at wm)
2017 randy ortorn won the wwe title but it wasn't the main event
2018 Shinsuke Nakamura lost
2019 seth rolins win
2020 Drew McIntyre won
2021 edge lost a triple threat
2022 Brock lesner lost

15 rumble winners won the titile at wm. Quite a few triple threats and not main events however

Vince, hhh the only two who didnt get a match at wm for it. Although hhh did end up wrestling the previous champion.
5 of the muti man matches had the winner of the rumble lose

In fact the only time the rumble winner WON at wm in a muti man was Rey Mysterio.

12 lost ( and had a match at wm)
2 didn't have a match at wm due to rumble
Vince is the only person to not be on the card of wm after wining the rumble

(Austin in 97 had a match just not the for the titile)
Very interesting. Thanks. In 1994, I think Bret only won the match with Luger to see who would face Yokozuna. That wasn't technically a title match. Personally, I've always felt Lex actually won the Rumble that year. It looked to me that Bret's feet touched first because when they rolled out over the top rope, Bret was on the inside closer to the ring and his feet touched like a split second before Lex's.

· Registered
Muscles Loyalty Respect
679 Posts
Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Big John Studd won the rumbles in 1988 and 1989 respectively and neither of them wrestled in the main event of wrestlemania for the title. There's been others but they've been covered in this thread.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Big John Studd won the rumbles in 1988 and 1989 respectively and neither of them wrestled in the main event of wrestlemania for the title. There's been others but they've been covered in this thread.
I think that was before they started having the Rumble winner get a title shot at WM.

· Registered
799 Posts
Very interesting. Thanks. In 1994, I think Bret only won the match with Luger to see who would face Yokozuna. That wasn't technically a title match. Personally, I've always felt Lex actually won the Rumble that year. It looked to me that Bret's feet touched first because when they rolled out over the top rope, Bret was on the inside closer to the ring and his feet touched like a split second before Lex's.
No. They both faced him at wm

Yokozuna beat lex by dq early on in the night
Bret faced Owen and lost in a regular match
Then beat Yokozuna in the main event.

· Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Premium Member
3,025 Posts
There have been a few. Off the top of my head, The Rock in 2000 (lost to Triple H), Orton in 2009 (Triple H again), and Nakamura in 2018 (lost to AJ Styles).

Also Austin in 97 and McMahon in 99 didn't challenge for the title at Mania.
Just think that Jinder Mahal held the championship for half a year and Vince couldn’t pull the trigger on a Japanese man when Japan has a rich wrestling history. I’m not a big fan of Shinsuke Nakamura and less so of workrate but that fella oozes charisma. That was a fuck up.

Could’ve utilised someone like Enzo Amore to his full potential by forcing his in-ring retirement and making him Shinsuke’s hype man or something. MVP and Heyman are obviously more reliable but not for Nakamura.

· Registered
11,189 Posts
Tbh it was better when Bayley was defending her title at the Royal Rumble ppv than winning it and she should be defending her RAW women's championship instead of WWE disgracing the title pushing jobbers.

Maybe Becky Lynch should win it because she totally should be the next one to not win the title at WrestleMania so Bayley main events and retains as still MY RAW women's champion! 😍

Screw the jobbers that are #notmychampion! Because only Bayley is my champion! 😍

1 - 20 of 20 Posts