Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use to love the Monday Night Wars and have to admit I did jump ship to WCW the pre Austin era. I found that WWE(F) was dull and very cartoonish and WCW either with Monday Nitro or even on the weekend shows that TBS carried was still decent wrestling. And I still till now think Bischoff is and always will be the creative genius.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Re: And How Many Of you Are and Still Were Legit WCW Fans

I would have loved for WCW to have won the Monday Night wars and remember being disappointed that it didn't.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts

First ever wresting I saw was WCW back in 92. Although it went to complete shit towards the end I think overall it was better than the WWF for most of the time that it existed.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts

I was a casual WCW fan from 1987-1996. I'd watch because it was wrestling, and wrestling was cool, but I was always a WWF guy first. Put it this way...WWF was must see TV. WCW was something I'd watch if I happened to be home and nothing else was going on.

Then 1996 happened and I turned into just about the biggest WCW hater there ever was. I never did come back to the Evil Empire, and I was glad when my beloved WWF won the war.

·
Registered
279 Posts

It's hard to describe myself as being a fan since I was always a WWF fan first and foremost. It was better than not watching wrestling at the time, but I wouldn't have missed Raw to watch WCW at all. I was a fan as long as the WWF wasn't on. I was pretty much only watching WCW to keep up with old WWF guys, like Raven, The Outsiders, ect.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts

I never saw any Nitro episodes until a couple of years ago, but I'm a fan now. I'm watching the old footage of the NWO angle on youtube at the moment.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Started watching wrestling in 98, watched wcw through the end. 2000 absolutely sucked thanks to Russo so I followed WWF more. But looking back I can clearly say wcw was a better product imo. Im still learning about pre 1995 wcw but 1996-1999 was way better than wwf. 2000 was crap, hard to argue that. But you could say 2001 was on the up for wcw.

·
Banned
2,765 Posts

I watched WCW in the early 90s when it was on tv....

I was kind of aware of nWo and Hogan's presence around 96, 97 but I was, in my mindset, too old, and too much into major league sports to watch it. I was 13 and considered it kids stuff.

The attitude era WWF brought me back into wrestling, it was once again cool to Watch wrestling but I don't remember even being aware that there was Another wrestling show on tv. I remember seeing the cover to one of the wcw video games but that was about it. Nobody in my age group cared about wcw. It was just considered childish

but anyway, the best of monday night nitro has made me into a huge fan of bischoff and wcw in 96, 97, 98....probably the best run in any wrestling promotion ever...genius booking

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

My top 5 favorite years a promotion has ever had goes like this

1. 89 WCW
2. 97 WCW
3. 98 WWE
4. 00 WWE
5. 90 WCW

Up until 99 I always liked WCW style better. They had more focus on quality matches and put more of the main event focus on all around talented performers like Flair and Sting while WWE always put more focus on top notch mic workers with loads of charisma and larger than life personas like Hogan and Warrior.

·
Registered
844 Posts

I was always a loyal WWF fan but I admit there were times when WCW was much better than WWF and I really miss the heck out of WCW and the Monday Night Wars. I used to watch Raw live and then switch over to watch the replay of Nitro. There was pretty much always an encore of Nitro on TNT. You could get a whole night of wrestling back then and it was usually pretty good stuff. I really miss those nights.

·
Banned
605 Posts

Mid 1999-Late 2000 WCW was the worst, worst, WORST wrestling show of all time.

1989, 1992, 1995-1997 WCW was better than WWF. 1998 WCW was equal to 1998 WWF, in my opinion.

I really enjoyed it until I was looking for some new main eventers.... 1997-1998 WCW probably has the highest quality roster of all time and had several potential main eventers... Jericho, Benoit, Giant, Raven... (Guerrero wasn't as charismatic back then from what I remember, but still a solid mid carder). Only new star WCW really created was Goldberg, and although a big hit and probably one of the biggest draws of all time, was very one dimensional and after a couple years became somewhat boring... Jericho should have really broken the streak. Imagine the buzz that would have created for him.

Until all those guys (particularly the Radicalz) left, even in early 1999, the quality of in-ring wrestling was typically better in WCW.

It went to shit when those guys had enough from the bureaucratic bullshit and left, leaving absolutely no mid card and the main event was then just saturated with old guys that should have been replenished by that midcard... Nash, Flair, Hogan, Sting, SId Vicious.... while all entertaining, certainly should have passed on the torch. The fact Jeff Jarrett got anywhere near the World Heavyweight Title is a tragedy.

Really late 2000-it's eventual death in spring 2001 was actually a pretty good show. It really just focused on good wrestling matches. Booker T and Scott Steiner had some fantastic matches... Mysterio was a fun midcarder to watch with some spunk... There were some new young entertaining faces... Ah well.

I liked WCW, but I am not oblivious to it's weaknesses and why it lost to WWF. It deserved to die after how shitty they treated a lot of younger, hungrier, and more talented guys.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts

Jericho should have really broken the streak. Imagine the buzz that would have created for him.
To this day I think Jericho's most entertaining character work was when he had Ralphus coming out with him. His work in WWE with Stephanie comes the closest, IMO. I would have never agreed with you back then, but looking back it would have been much better to let Jericho end it as opposed to Nask. Some Ralphus interference that gave Jericho the win on top of how white hot Jericho already was. I like it a lot.

·
Banned
605 Posts

To this day I think Jericho's most entertaining character work was when he had Ralphus coming out with him. His work in WWE with Stephanie comes the closest, IMO. I would have never agreed with you back then, but looking back it would have been much better to let Jericho end it as opposed to Nask. Some Ralphus interference that gave Jericho the win on top of how white hot Jericho already was. I like it a lot.
Even back then when they were teasing the feud with Jericho and Goldberg, while I was only a kid I was a huge, huge, HUGE Jericho fan and really wanted to see him pin Goldberg... or better yet, make him tap to the walls of Jericho. I wasn't a snark by any means and didn't think in terms of "best for WCW" or whatever, but I really wanted to see it done by an underdog Jericho. If I wanted to see that back then, I was probably not the only one.

Jericho was already more popular and got bigger pops than half of WCW's "main-eventers"... I guarantee you if they would have had him end the streak he would have instantly got onto Rock/Triple H territory at the time... perhaps even SCSA for a little while. Definitely would be moment of the year and perhaps one of the greatest moments of wrestling history if Jericho pinned a white hot Goldberg clean.

Instead we got a drunk and pilled up Hall "taze" Goldberg to end it. While Nash wasn't an awful choice (he was actually pretty over at the time), it certainly didn't help WCW's business in the long term. Goldberg's streak could have simultaneously created two new, young refreshing main eventers in Goldberg and whoever pinned him. Instead it created one... just Goldberg.

·
Registered
21,633 Posts

I was a massive WCW fan back in the day. I would always make sure I'd be home ready for Nitro on Friday night's and then in the Thunder days I'd stay up as long as I could so I could watch both. Meanwhile most of my friends were exclusively WWF fans (apart from 1 lad Gaz who was predominantly WWF but would flick back and forth from TNT to Sky Sports 1 to watch bits of both.)

I remember one Saturday morning, having finished watching the shows taped from the previous night inviting a couple of mates round to show them a guy who I was amazed with. The guy had just debuted and was cleaning up all the titles...

That man was Lance Storm and they were nowhere near as impressed with him as I was, I just couldn't understand why they didn't dig him and WCW to the same level that I did :/ In hindsight it's more obvious but for anyone who follows my youtube channel, you'll know I'm currently in process of going back watching all WCW/NWA ppv's, so I'm still a rather big fan.

·
Registered
987 Posts

Liked it back then, like it now.

WCW's strength was always that midcarders, who were often the best wrestlers in the company, always got time to go out there and have great matches. WWE has NEVER done that beyond a few brief flirtations with the tag scene. In WCW even if guys weren't getting pushed to the top they still got a chance to go ply their trade.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

I always made sure we would be home when Nitro was on, I still know the Wolfpac song off by heart & I just bought 2 Wolfpac shirts & a WCW Jericholic shirt

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

In the UK, it was very difficult to watch WCW. I started watching WWE in 1990 and we got Wrestling Challenge, WWE Superstars and Prime Time wrestling all broadcast on satellite television and all the PPVS were shown on the Monday or the Tuesday afterwards(for free). All I can remember with WCW was that we got one of their tv shows on ITV and it was variable when it was broadcast. You can see the difference in TV coverage meant that most UK wrestling fans are going to be into WWF over WCW.

The only TV show we did not get into the mid 90's was Raw, we used to get the recaps on whatever the other programming was. We always got the PPVS free. The only big title change I can remember happening not on PPV was Savage losing to Flair and then Hitman beating Flair in late 92. Everything else was done on PPV all the time.

Sometime in the mid 90's, I remember someone discovered a way of watching Nitro on TNT by having the code to get that on a British satellite system(this was before Raw was regularly on SKY) and watching the beginnings of the NWO angle. That's when I got to watch WCW more regularly but Nitro was still not live and getting that TNT coverage was very haphazard.

In comparison, Raw was on SKY and then later Smackdown and all the PPVS were still free.

I only really found it possible to follow WCW angles once the Internet was going strong and that for me would have been in 1998 and even then watching the TV was difficult and the PPVS more or less impossible. The UK were alot slower in catching on with the widespread use of the net in comparison to the US.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts