Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear to this day I loved it. Yes the bingo hall and all but loved it. Before a pipebomb was known as a pipebomb? Some of the great talents we all know and love now came from that little company in the bingo hall.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Re: How many of you was and perhaps still is and old school ECW fan?

I was an ECW fan. Still am. I never liked ECW more than my beloved WWF, but I went to 8 shows at THE Arena, bought a boatload of tapes, and had a few shirts. ECW just might be my 2nd favorite promotion ever.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,551 Posts

The live shows were so much better than a WWF show. Some of the best (and worst) times of my life. I love ECW.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

I was...and since shows ran from Philly they actually came on TV (public access, but still..)

·
Premium Member
15,128 Posts

I still am. I'll watch any bit of ECW I can get my hands on. Except fancams. I've seen a few and it's cool but I prefer Styles at least.

I'm a diehard WCW fan (especially from 1990 till the end) but man, ECW blew that out the water, just because it was something completely different. It'll never be a promotion that could recreate what ECW had.

·
Registered
81 Posts

I've always liked ECW but it didn't stand the test of time for me. I loved it a whole lot back in the day but now that i've become more of a fan of the wrestling aspect, it got stale. Don't get me wrong, I love a good hardcore match but they used the blood and guts style to cover up a lot of flaws there wrestlers had. Tommy Dreamer is still one of my favorites of all time though, oh how I miss watching that man bleed lol...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

I liked it then, but now I can watch it to a point.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts

I'm a fan, but honestly, I was never a fan of the violence. It was too much at times & took away from the stories being told.

I was/am a fan of the wrestling that was allowed to take place.
Rob Van Dam vs. Jerry Lynn at any point in ECW is a better wrestling match, a better story, than ANYTHING that the WWE has put on in the past decade, easily. Ok, maybe CM Punk vs. Undertaker from Wrestlemania is as good.

There were so many great matches. Even matches that didn't really have a storyline were given time to just happen. Wrestlers were allowed to be creative & try to get themselves over. Anyone could become a main event player. The product was taken & treated seriously.

And Paul Heyman actually listened to what the fans wanted!

My wife will watch the occasional TNA match with me, or a CM Punk match if I'm watching Raw or a PPV, but if I pop in an ECW DVD, she'll sit & watch the whole card with me! :ex:

·
Registered
279 Posts

Yep. You could get ECW in Florida and they started touring there late in their original run. I was a huge fan from 1997 until the last TNN episode. It was absolutely over by that point even if they ran Hardcore TV for a few more weeks, if they did. I think they had the belt on Steve Corino. The talent was long gone. It was absolutely amazing during Mike Awesome's run. Sit down running powerbombs on the concrete through a table, were amazing. Taz and Sabu were incredible too. And RVD's amazing matches...I could go on and on. Every minute of it was mesmerizing and this was during the best years of the WWF.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The show use to come to Queens, NY and you bet I had to go to see it live every time and chance possible.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
I think everyone likes ECW to an extent (In terms of fans) but the issue is just how overrated it is. Nobody in this thread had really overrated it which is great but you have the die hard ECW fans who think ECW is the best ever and that Paul Heyman is a creative genius and god.

Then you have the 50 reunion shows they've done which honestly should of stopped after Hardcore Homecoming: November Reign then you have the 5 or 6 DVD's about it and then you have the 2 or 3 rip off companies that came along with it and it really cheapens the ECW product as a whole.

Myself personally I liked it but not how most like it. I see it as a place that innovated a lot of things such as Junior Heavyweights, Hardcore and the more adult based company but I'm not one of those people who is a big enough fan to watch the the reunion shows etc although I did watch all the Documentary DVD's that were released including that new one (Which was pretty good)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
RVD and Jerry Lynn made me love ECW. What a show, although I agree to an extent that the total brutality did take away from the enjoyment for me.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
Yeah, I loved it and only saw it in magazines when it was in it's proper heyday.

There are loads of ECW DVD's on Netflix, including the new ones.

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Still go back and watch it fairly regularly. Love ECW.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I was a fan back in the day, but I probably watched WCW & WWF more frequently. I was a kid and I always remember feeling like I was doing something illegal because of how hardcore and undergroundish it felt. I marked for Sandman, Taz, RVD, Sabu, Rhino, & Dreamer.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I'll be honest, I never really got into the ECW during it's original run. A mate of mine told me about it but it sounded terrible to my 10 year old self, so I ignored it. Then in around '01 I remember a couple of my mates renting out the first ECW PS1 game, playing it and then when they told me it was good, I became intrigued.

Then came July 2002 on my birthday and I remember my brother buying me World Cup 2002 and the 2nd ECW game for PS1. After that I started loving the game, during which time some of the guys started to filter their way on to WWE tv.

Then 2005 happened and the whole ECW revival and I fell for the hype hook-line & sinker, I watched a few shows on tape and really enjoyed them but now with the benefit of hindsight, I've got to be honest and say I've never been a true fan. I'd love to go back and watch their old stuff but it's so hard to get hold of and then find the time to watch it all.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
ECW on TNN wasn't the best reflection of what ECW had to offer. I've honestly wondered if Vince McMahon tried to sabotage ECW when it got a cable deal. With in a month after their debut on TNN Taz and The Dudleys agreed to go to WWF.

I watched any ECW I could when it was around, but I've lost interest over the years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see it as a place that innovated a lot of things such as Junior Heavyweights, Hardcore and the more adult based company but I'm not one of those people who is a big enough fan to watch the the reunion shows etc although I did watch all the Documentary DVD's that were released including that new one (Which was pretty good)

It's funny that you claim that this company and it's influence are overrated but then go around and credit innovations that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

Heyman has always been certainly one of the more overrated creative minds in pro wrestling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts