Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was kinda wondering this, I'm not saying it's a necessity of course, but I do feel that knowing and watching WWF/E history, as a fan and being active in regards to discussions that knowing some of the history is actually very valuable and quite important, when it comes to a lot of discussions and conversations on here, so I was kinda wondering how many of the forum members are actually quite up on the previous era's of WWE, or is it mainly today's product that you know more about?

Whether it be the Attitude Era with the likes of Stone Cold, Rock, Foley etc... or the Golden Era with talent such as Bret Hart, Mr Perfect, Rick Martel, Warrior, Hogan, Mountie, Boss Man etc.. or even older wrestling going way back to Buddy Rogers and Bruno Sammartino times even?

Me personally, I've gone as far back as say the late 80's/early 90's time ... which I feel (imo) is when WWE/F was at it's strongest, talent wise, storyline wise, the lot ... closely followed by the Attitude Era, so I too could delve into more WWF/E history too if we're honest, but I'm wondering how much you guys know about the previous era's too ... as again, I do feel that it's quite relevant and good to have knowledge, watch into this footage and be educated on the guys who paved the way for what we see today also, it definitely helps you have a much better understanding of Wrestling I think on a whole, and you can also see how today's product compares to previous era's too with a bit more knowledge.

So how far back, in wrestling history have you watched PPV's from, or footage etc... maybe some of you have watched all the Wrestlemania's, Royal Rumbles, Summerslams and Survivor Series .... maybe some have gone even further to WWWF times and the territory days ... I'd be kinda interested to know how many here, also have done this? :)

Thoughts? :)

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gone back from early 70s Memphis and Dallas to the present day. I'm not ashamed to admit that I consider Jerry Lawler to be the greatest of all time.
Nah man, that's fine ... again, I do kinda wonder, just out of pure interest really, how far back the members have gone here and how much they know in regards to WWF/E history :)

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Other than important events like Wrestlemania, I haven't watched much outside of when I started to watch the show as a kid. One of the first thing I watched was the Hulk Hogan vs Ultimatre Warrior fued. So I go that far back.

I've seen all the old PPVs though, but nothing from the 70's and only a little from the early 80's. Mostly mid/late 80's and later, which is when it got really popularized.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Other than important events like Wrestlemania, I haven't watched much outside of when I started to watch the show as a kid. One of the first thing I watched was the Hulk Hogan vs Ultimatre Warrior fued. So I go that far back.

I've seen all the old PPVs though, but nothing from the 70's and only a little from the early 80's. Mostly mid/late 80's and later, which is when it got really popularized.
Yeah, you're pretty much in the same boat as me in that sense, so it would have been around Wrestlemania 6 when you first got into wrestling?

·
You know who I am, but you don't know why I'm here
1,102 Posts
Everything from 85-on I've done quite a bit. I spent a few years going back through 70's/early 80's stuff which gave me a good sense of where everything came from/the foundation leading into the Golden Era I loved so much. It was def. great to get that 'education', and it REALLY helped not just be a WWE mark, and got me into WCW before the MNW's hit.

When it's all said and done, though-- I'm definitely an 80's kid mark who was figuring themselves out in the Attitude Era (and totally invested) and decided to stick with wrestling in the Ruthless Aggression era even though I was 'getting too old for it'.

Now I just really enjoy watching. It's not like it used to be, but I've really come to enjoy some of the characters. In some ways, it feels like I'm always rooting for a potential _______ that never really happens, but there's been enough moments that have been great to keep me going. Guys like Barrett, McIntyre, Sandow, Rhodes, Orton, Ambrose, and Ziggler all kind of take me back to the AE anyway, when heels were starting to become the most entertaining part of the show.

God, I'm a geek for it, but I just love wrestling. lol

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything from 85-on I've done quite a bit. I spent a few years going back through 70's/early 80's stuff which gave me a good sense of where everything came from/the foundation leading into the Golden Era I loved so much. It was def. great to get that 'education', and it REALLY helped not just be a WWE mark, and got me into WCW before the MNW's hit.

When it's all said and done, though-- I'm definitely an 80's kid mark who was figuring themselves out in the Attitude Era (and totally invested) and decided to stick with wrestling in the Ruthless Aggression era even though I was 'getting too old for it'.

Now I just really enjoy watching. It's not like it used to be, but I've really come to enjoy some of the characters. In some ways, it feels like I'm always rooting for a potential _______ that never really happens, but there's been enough moments that have been great to keep me going. Guys like Barrett, McIntyre, Sandow, Rhodes, Orton, Ambrose, and Ziggler all kind of take me back to the AE anyway, when heels were starting to become the most entertaining part of the show.

God, I'm a geek for it, but I just love wrestling. lol
haha, I hear you on this but I'm exactly the same, although I've not really seen all that much WCW stuff, which is probably something I should do, I'm the same with TNA right now, like I've caught the odd things of it, and I thought the talent there is pretty good, but the product to me, looked amateur production wise (understandably) and it really put me off, guys like Austin Aries for example, I think would fair really well in WWE.

I agree with you also with what you said in the last paragraph there, I do think this past year or so WWE has improved, I'm not sure people notice it straight away, as it's a slow and steady process (as it should be), but they've started to give their talent more character now, gimmicks are coming back a lot (which is a GOOD thing, even if you're not a fan of the gimmick) ... belts are being revived, feuds are starting to get a little bit better and have a bit more meaning (I just wish they'd be built up a bit more) ... and it is slowly improving, with like you say the whole Ambrose, Orton etc.. all kinda reminding you of AE times too, it's good and it's getting there :)

I'm not expecting loads of people to respond to this topic really, as I don't really know how many here have looked back on other era's of WWE, but as I mentioned in the original post, I think it's quite important to do so and a good thing, it's also good to watch it too because you eventually get to see how superior it was back than as opposed to now, I don't think WWE is all that bad now, as people often make out ... but comparing it to other era's and times, it does have a lot to catch up on and people who don't know that, are missing out on that :)

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
I started watching in January 1987, but I've watched a bit to around the end of Bob Backlund's title reign. I have watched some older matches from the 1970's though.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Started watching a few weeks before Wrestlemania 13 and was hooked after that, ended up watching back a lot of events from about the time of Wrestlemania I through and caught up on a lot of what I missed. Stopped watching around Wrestlemania XX and then came back just after WrestleMania XXVII, and there's still a few things I haven't seen from the time period I missed, even though I have caught up on a lot of it.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I'd say I'm well known about the early stuff( not much but I've seen many matches, and like to know who invented that move I like today..ect)
There was a WWE show that would air here ( WWE Vintage) and I used to watch it..
Also I have to thanks many of the past great users of the WS in yahoo answers, some guys there really know what they're talking about and I really loved hearing their opinion and reading their answers. ( for example when someone says who's the best heel ever, i remember one user who I highly respexted answering with Freddie Blassie, but I wouldn't go as far as imitate his answer and I'd give my opinion on who i think is the best of the last 15-18 years)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
699 Posts
my first memory was the undertaker vs hogan when taker tombstoned hulk hogan on the steel chair having said that i do remember takers debut. but i have every mania on vhs lol back in the day when taker left for some time when he faced yokozuna and they all bundled taker into the casket. they then done the investigation on taker sightings lol. he was seen in bloody bakers and all sorts.

the wwe was awsome back then i like the undertaker vs undertaker too

·
Banned
859 Posts
Attitude era but i know pretty good about 80's and 90's.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There has been some great responses here so far, it's good that people actually take time out to see about the talent and the legends that opened the doors for the product and talent today, they're all highly influenced by previous talent, whether you have CM Punk with Randy Savage, Dolph Ziggler and Mr Perfect or Daniel Bryan and Shawn Michaels .... without the talent previously, we wouldn't have the talent that we have today.

Sure, the product was a lot better in previous era's, but the talent is still there, the difference is how they're booked and packaged, as opposed to how they used to be, which of course was much better.

Great responses so far, looking forward to reading some more. :)

·
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
6,866 Posts
I didnt watch between golden era and ruthless agression era 2004+. I didnt watch that much 2004+ because of stupid Monday Night Raw was set on friday evenings here in Sweden. I started to go to wwe.com at times thou and held me ajour about it until I started to watch it weekly in 2008 with the start of the royal rumble.

After that from time to time I´ve watched matches, whole episodes, ppvs from golden era and forward. I haven´t really gone back further than first Wrestlemania.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it seems like a lot of people have gone back to the first Wrestlemania (not a bad thing, in fact that's pretty good!), the time when WWF/E crossed over from territories into mainstream times, when it really made that leap.

It's crazy to think if Wrestlemania hadn't have been such a success, that we might not have even been aware of the product today, or do we know if WWE would have still existed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I will watch anything if its good doesn't matter what era. As a matter of fact I just watched Thesz vs Gagne from 1952. Very entertaining for the time. If anyone says old wrestling is slow is kidding themselves.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will watch anything if its good doesn't matter what era. As a matter of fact I just watched Thesz vs Gagne from 1952. Very entertaining for the time. If anyone says old wrestling is slow is kidding themselves.
Aah yeah, well the Thesz press is often referred to in today's wrestling world too to this day, Orton uses it quite a lot also :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts