Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like Shayna. I think she's a breath of fresh air on the main roster, and she seems like a suprisingly kind hearted and cool individual when not in character.

But I was suprised to find out she turns 40 this summer. She's a lot older than the other mma horsewoman.

Around 40 years old seem to be an age where most pro wrestlers performances beging to detriorate, and where a lot of them start to consider retirment.

Of course, Shayna hasn't been a wrestler for many years, so her body probably isn't as banged up, and her style isn't too hard on the body either.

Still. I can see her retire in three years time. From what I've read, shes engaged in a lot of other sports. I'm thinking she will do something else, once shes made a lot of money in the wwe and achived a main title run or two.

What do you guys think?

·
The Babyface of WF
10,970 Posts
The age is concerning especially if she's not a personal fave by the powers that be, She's definitely going to have a Women's Title run on the MR whether she wins it at WM or not, Don't know about sticking around for years though.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
Baszler has barely any miles on the road, taken few bumps and no injuries.

It won't be her age but her body holding up that will determine how long she goes.

She is still new enough to pro wrestling
Shayna doesn't wrestle a flipply style or do many high risk moves and that will probably help keep her from getting injured and add time to her career. I'm gonna say 5 years tops.
Not really way business works. Neither did HHH or Kevin Nash and look at the bad injuries they have endured.

Hulk Hogan destroyed his back, hips and knees doing a legdrop

·
Southern Pride
2,966 Posts
Well, considering WWE uses other wrestlers that are well in to their 40s i'm sure that Shayna will be around for many years in the future as long as her body is healthy enough.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The reason Baszler was signed in the first place was because she was a package deal with Rousey, Duke, & Shafir. None of them figured they'd be doing this more than 3 years at the most. It is just taking longer because reasons. Once Ronda is finally done with her program she'll be calling it quits & the others will leave or retire also.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
They're currently using Becky to get over their wrestlemania match. They tells you all you need to know about how much they value her

·
Registered
11,409 Posts
The reason Baszler was signed in the first place was because she was a package deal with Rousey, Duke, & Shafir. None of them figured they'd be doing this more than 3 years at the most. It is just taking longer because reasons. Once Ronda is finally done with her program she'll be calling it quits & the others will leave or retire also.
Baszler entered MYC before Rousey even started training with WWE.

Duke and Shafir it looks like both were only signed to appease Rousey alright

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
The mindset of WWE has definitely changed when it comes to women, in the old days I'm not sure Shayna would have gotten a chance. Back when they were 95% about eye candy, it was rare to see a woman above the age of 30 on WWF/E TV- obvious exception being the comedy character old ladies Mae Young and Moolah. Now that they're all about equality and representation- I had to resist the urge to put quotation marks in there- someone like Baszler gets more of a shot.

Her style is definitely conducive to a longer career if she wants it. Also, in doing the briefest bit of research just now, she doesn't appear to have a partner or kids, which sometimes plays a factor for female wrestlers longevity.

Although, if it's true that Vince wasn't that impressed with her first Raw outing, none of the other factors matter so much. We might see Becky run right through her at Mania and she'll be quietly shipped back to NXT.

·
\m/
23,692 Posts
We might see Becky run right through her at Mania and she'll be quietly shipped back to NXT.
I have a feeling that may be what they'll end up doing. I found it odd last night that they are still making it seems like she is from NXT when they presented her name during the interview with NXT graphics. Like she is not a proper call up to the main roster (yet).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MMA training camps and high-level sparring banged up her body a fuck load more than wrestling ever could.
I'm not much of an MMA fan, but I was under the impression that it was less taxing on the body than wrestling? Especially since they are not on the road 24/7 and have far fewer matches a year, allowing the body more time to rest and heal up.

·
Banned
3,909 Posts
I'm not much of an MMA fan, but I was under the impression that it was less taxing on the body than wrestling? Especially since they are not on the road 24/7 and have far fewer matches a year, allowing the body more time to rest and heal up.
I mean it depends on the fighter, how they prep, it can be hard to say. But a rough sparring session is a hell of a lot harder than a night full of bumps.

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
In her case, age is really just a number. I think she has PLENTY of viable years left in the ring and will likely retire on her own time and terms. I wouldn't be surprised if she got out sooner than later though to do other things and preserve her body but I could also see her sticking around for a backstage role perhaps as a trainer. With a skill set and drive like hers, it would seem she can really do whatever she wants and make it work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thats hard to say. Age aint nothing but a number like Aaliyah put it. Plus we age alot slower today and the 40 of today is like the 50 of the 80s. Shayna doesnt have serious damage or mileage on her body. She,s a new name. She,s very atlethic. She could probably go for another 5-10 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts