Wrestling Forum banner

How long do you see CM Punk coasting in the midcard?

5K views 51 replies 43 participants last post by  Alo0oy 
#1 ·
I think it's about time Punk returns to the main event, now I'm not calling for him to take anybody's spot so don't jump on me for that, he can be included in a triple threat match with Bryan & Orton, not right away but maybe at TLC or even Wrestlemania, the main event scene needs his mic work.

Knowing WWE, Cena would probably be the one to be inserted into the feud when he returns.

#3 ·
Did I say have him win? I said the main event needs his mic, & a triple threat between Bryan/Punk/Orton would be pretty awesome, Bryan should win that, but there's no harm in having Punk there, & it doesn't have to be right away, that triple threat match needs to happen before or at Wrestlemania.

#24 ·
He'll be back in the main event soon enough. The guy was pushed solidly for over 2 years with top level matches and a 434 day title reign. I hate to break it to you but there's only one way to go from there and it isn't up. Punk has exhausted his top level programs because he's already had them all. He'll be back in the main event because he's one of the few main eventers they have but this is the height of it for Punk. He's plateauing now. He's already worked all the big names and secured his spot. They're now putting the effort in to get somebody else up there, namely Daniel Bryan right now. In order for that to happen, Punk has to move down the card to make room. Seriously, it's not rocket science.

#25 ·
He'll be back in the main event soon enough. The guy was pushed solidly for over 2 years with top level matches and a 434 day title reign. I hate to break it to you but there's only one way to go from there and it isn't up. Punk has exhausted his top level programs because he's already had them all. He'll be back in the main event because he's one of the few main eventers they have but this is the height of it for Punk. He's plateauing now. He's already worked all the big names and secured his spot. They're now putting the effort in to get somebody else up there, namely Daniel Bryan right now. In order for that to happen, Punk has to move down the card to make room. Seriously, it's not rocket science.

#26 · (Edited)
Believe it or not, there are other ways to capitalize on someone's popularity, besides throwing a title on them. Punk's position on the card isn't all that bad. He's still top-tier, majorly popular babyface, he just isn't given the title. They have to establish Daniel Bryan first.

While they spend the time building Bryan, they can keep Punk busy with the stuff with Heyman. By the time the Royal Rumble roll around, I think people will clamor at the thought of Punk getting his run with the belt. It will feel overdue. And that's the point. That way, his eventual title victory is gonna be so god damn satisfying to the fans because it's delayed. There's money to be made in the hold-off, as well.

Yes, Punk is popular. But, they could still derail his path with a few things along the way. If they hold off, instead of hotshotting him to the title, I bet the response will be amazing.

Putting Punk back in the main event without actually putting the title on him does give the main event scene a boost. But this would be a half-ass attempt at best. It's just not the best scenario, in my opinion.

I understand the Raw roster doesn't have as much depth as some would like, but Punk could really serve to elevate Ryback during this time. If Ryback is going to be made to look like a beast, then he needs a substantial heat magnet like Heyman to latch onto, and majorly popular babyface like Punk to oppose.

Besides, if they just toss another WWE Title his way too soon, it'll lack that monumental feel. Punk has spent the better part of last year in the title mix.

At this point, while his act as a babyface is still fairly fresh, he could really lend a hand in elevating other talent like Ryback. The belt isn't needed on him just yet.

#5 ·
Let him feud with Del Rio for the World Title. Maybe it will get people to start to actually care about the World Heavyweight Championship.

ALSO: You could have Punk win it and eventually have Sandow cash in on Punk and win the title and we'd get a Punk/Sandow feud. Imagine how awesome the promos could be.

#7 ·
I would love to see their promo battles, but the WHC means shit right now, & it would be a demotion to CM Punk at this point, I wouldn't mind a non-title feud though.

Punk is a midcarder talent, he was over a year ago just because of the promo, now hes back to reality. And this is comming from a huge punk mark.
How so? he's the best mic worker on the roster (except maybe Heyman, but Heyman is not a wrestler), he's AT WORST the third best in-ring worker, & he's also pretty fucking over.

I say that combination = main eventer.

#14 ·
He isn't in the ''mid card'' he's been in the second biggest match of the night at every PPV since Payback.

Punk marks are ridiculous.

#28 ·
It'll come pretty soon I think, if not Mania time next year.

The Heyman feud, has either ended or will definitely end at HIAC and from there he will gradually ascend back into the title picture, it's just inevitable.

But for him to get his hands on the title, that's a fair while away regardless, he held it for 434 days, they will make him winning the title again that much more sweeter by making it seem like it has taken so long and been such a hard journey to earn it back.

#30 ·
Punk is doing just fine in the mid-card right now, he can be inserted into the main-event whenever they want. After his feud with Heyman, i see him taking some more time off anyways. Apparently he's dealing with a lot of nagging injuries.

#32 · (Edited)
A lot of people here where I live (myself include) pretty much take it for granted now that once a person has had a lengthy title reign, they enter a separate league entirely where they are no longer card dependent.

They're an automatic draw and can work other top level guys who've also gone beyond the WWE title.

PS. However, I hope that his flat/dead match against Ryback isn't a sign of things to come in the future. If so, then he should hang up his boots sooner rather than later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.