Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People were complaining that Rey always wins, however, first with Jack Swageer and now with Ryo, Rey has illistrated that he's the only top face willing to tap out. Everyone remembers the episode where Swagger made Rey his prison bitch when he dragged him backstage with the ankle log applied, and now Rey doesn't even last a second when Ryo applies his armbar (?).

So yeah, you'd never see Cena tapping out.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I don't really see why people had such a huge problem with it. Yeah, it got repetitive at times, but that's the WWE's formula with their top faces.

Going back to Hogan, and possibly even back to Bruno Sammartino, the WWE's booked that way.

The hero gets his ass kicked a majority of the match, then comes back to win.

If people don't like Rey's booking, they really would've had a bitch fit during Shawn Michaels' reign as WWF Champion.

His booking was pretty much the same as Rey, and put on top of it, he was a gigantic asshole!

Most of his matches as Champion revolves around him going up against a much larger opponent. He'd get his ass handed to him a majority of the match. Then all of a sudden, he mounts a comeback. Elbow of the top rope, Tune Up the Band, Sweet Chin Music, That's All Folks!

Bret Hart's booking was the same way. He'd get destroyed the whole match. Then out of nowhere, he'd play possum, and roll a guy up for the pin.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really see why people had such a huge problem with it. Yeah, it got repetitive at times, but that's the WWE's formula with their top faces.

Going back to Hogan, and possibly even back to Bruno Sammartino, the WWE's booked that way.

The hero gets his ass kicked a majority of the match, then comes back to win.

If people don't like Rey's booking, they really would've had a bitch fit during Shawn Michaels' reign as WWF Champion.

His booking was pretty much the same as Rey, and put on top of it, he was a gigantic asshole!

Most of his matches as Champion revolves around him going up against a much larger opponent. He'd get his ass handed to him a majority of the match. Then all of a sudden, he mounts a comeback. Elbow of the top rope, Tune Up the Band, Sweet Chin Music, That's All Folks!

Bret Hart's booking was the same way. He'd get destroyed the whole match. Then out of nowhere, he'd play possum, and roll a guy up for the pin.
Yeah but, how often did Hogan/Cena tap out compared to Rey?

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
As faces? Never, but what Main Event Babyface does tap besides Rey? Yeah, even though he tapped out against Swagger, he still won the match. Which, I don't have a problem with.

I think both times they had Rey tap, it was to tell a story.

With Swagger, they told the story of Swagger working on Rey's leg the entire match. Rey had no choice but to tap at that moment.

With Alberto Del Rio, they were trying to put over a new superstar.

IMO, those were good reasons to have him tap out.

·
#German
3,783 Posts
At the end of the day, Rey comes out victorious and overcoming the odds for the millionth time. This time won't make any difference. That's why he's an "unbeatable" face.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The weird thing is that Rey seems to be booked so much more strongly these days than he used to be, he gets beat down a lot less before he overcomes the odds not to mention that facing much bigger and stronger wrestlers doesn't seem enough as now he has seemingly has to have a major ankle injury for them to even be competitive with him now.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, I think a lot of credit should go to Matt Striker for emphasizing the size of Rey's heart and that the crowd keeps him going (As it said on one of HBK's entrance shirts: "I can do everything through them who give me strength").

The weird thing is that Rey seems to be booked so much more strongly these days than he used to be, he gets beat down a lot less before he overcomes the odds not to mention that facing much bigger and stronger wrestlers doesn't seem enough as now he has seemingly has to have a major ankle injury for them to even be competitive with him now.
Smackdown is incredibly top-heavy in heels and thin overall with faces, and with Undertaker's injury Rey had to be mini-Cena during that time.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
In fact he was unbeatable for nearly a quarter of a year until Money in the Bank. He has jobbed out completely in the past 2 weeks, and that is a good thing to see.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pro wrestling didn\'t start using tap outs until about 97/98 when Ken Shamrock was in the WWF. Before that it was either quitting verbally or being put \"to sleep\" and having your hand drop three times.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Smackdown is incredibly top-heavy in heels and thin overall with faces, and with Undertaker's injury Rey had to be mini-Cena during that time.
Fair enough them needing to have him winning, although the counterpoint would be why don't they elevate somebody such as christian or kofi to share the load, but this more recent stuff where he overcomes the usual odds and the additional odds of his his ankle being practically snapped just seem pointless and do nothing for him while making his much bigger and stronger opponents look far weaker than they need to be.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
As I kept saying, the Rey winning streak was just a phase. People completely ignore the fact he was in the midcard for about four years straight and facing the likes of Kane and Mike Knox. Although the second he starts winning in the main event, people act as if Rey has been some sort of unstoppable force for years when he only just recieved a push to the main event.

Kofi had a phase where he was winning every match but that soon finished, the same applies with Rey. It was just a phase because of the huge push he recieved.

·
Offto Club?
1,275 Posts
As faces? Never, but what Main Event Babyface does tap besides Rey? Yeah, even though he tapped out against Swagger, he still won the match. Which, I don't have a problem with.

I think both times they had Rey tap, it was to tell a story.

With Swagger, they told the story of Swagger working on Rey's leg the entire match. Rey had no choice but to tap at that moment.

With Alberto Del Rio, they were trying to put over a new superstar.

IMO, those were good reasons to have him tap out.
Most main event face tap out. Cena is like the only one that doesn't...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rey's like Jericho,they're nice guys willing to put younger stars over.Rey was just booked that way since he still needs to be the underdog and still put out a win.

·
Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,207 Posts
Undertaker tapped to CM Punk's Anaconda Vice (Please bring that back!) in a very over the top Montreal Screwjob thing. But I don't think he has ever tapped out clean.

If he has, he hasn't done it in years.

I think you need to look to Rey Mysterio eventually "overcoming the odds" and burying the piss out of his opponent. Like the Straight Edge Society thing. Rey lost about 20 percent of his matches,to include one to Gallows but the end result was SES in complete disarray, with Rey Mysterio making Gallows and Punk his bitch on multiple occasions for half a year.

Hopefully, even when (Possibly if?) Mysterio goes over against Del Rio he does so in a way to keep the feud open ended and leaves Del Rio a scrap of dignity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts