Wrestling Forum banner

So, thoughts of Taker 11-0 at WM 19 ten years ago?

• Great match! Two thumbs up!

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Watchable. Not horrible, but not special either.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Atrocious! A-Train on The Streak? Really?

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question speaks for itself, really, but I'll explain anyway:

Do you like the match?
Did A-Train really deserve to be added to The Streak over Benoit/Eddie/RVD?
Was it detrimental to WM 19's cause of trying to become the greatest WM of all time?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
You have 2.000 posts and post in "The Streak" thread frequently and don't know the answer to this?

It was atrocious.
It affected WM19 because Taker could have had sooo many better opponents to make it an even better card. It didn't necessarily have a bad impact on the show, but it was just a missed opportunity to make that mania have 6 main events and be even more GOAT.

unfortunately all the people you listed would not have worked because WWE was still of the mindset that big men can't take on little guys at big PPVs but a wolverine vs ABA feud would have been sooo psychical and such an intense match. I think they should have gone with Rhino vs ABA. Just someone really intense and somewhat of a big man would have been the best route to go.

And yes, it being a triple threat was nauseating. For what it's worth, I would have taken a 1v1 with either of them over it. I guess it was kind of cool to see Taker preserve the streak by taking on two men though and I guess I'm glad we have a Streak triple threat match to add to the 21 of them. Don't get me wrong, it was still a horrible feud, idea, and match though. I'm just stating what minuscule good came out of it.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I can see why some people think they wasted Undertaker by putting him in this match, but I thought it was a decent big guy match and the show still ended up being one of the best in the history of the company, so I'd rather not to complain too much. I still would've preferred Benoit vs. Undertaker though.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
You have 2.000 posts and post in "The Streak" thread frequently and don't know the answer to this?

It was atrocious.
It affected WM19 because Taker could have had sooo many better opponents to make it an even better card. It didn't necessarily have a bad impact on the show, but it was just a missed opportunity to make that mania have 6 main events and be even more GOAT.

unfortunately all the people you listed would not have worked because WWE was still of the mindset that big men can't take on little guys at big PPVs but a wolverine vs ABA feud would have been sooo psychical and such an intense match. I think they should have gone with Rhino vs ABA. Just someone really intense and somewhat of a big man would have been the best route to go.

And yes, it being a triple threat was nauseating. For what it's worth, I would have taken a 1v1 with either of them over it. I guess it was kind of cool to see Taker preserve the streak by taking on two men though and I guess I'm glad we have a Streak triple threat match to add to the 21 of them. Don't get me wrong, it was still a horrible feud, idea, and match though. I'm just stating what minuscule good came out of it.
There's one problem here, it wasn't a triple threat match, it was a handicap match, there's a big difference.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Benoit vs Undertaker would have been a better match.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
Watchable.

but definitely the main blip for me at that WrestleMania, the Streak has become such a significant part of that event now that needed to a bigger stage.

Big Show/Taker should have been the plan with Show heading in looking unstoppable.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Were they even acknowledging the streak then? I didn't think they really did until just before Orton challenged him.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
From what I remember, Nathan Jones was originally set up to team with the Undertaker, but they pulled the plug on it just because his in ring skills were *that* bad, and that reason alone, they made it a handicap match. The match itself made no sense, and was one of the many things that made the Big Show look extremely uncredible, despite being the biggest guy on the roster. In my opinion, definitely one of the worst Undertaker wrestlemania matches, or at least up there with the Big Boss Man vs Taker hell in a cell match lol.

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Were they even acknowledging the streak then? I didn't think they really did until just before Orton challenged him.
That's a good question, I think there was *some* mention, it's been so long ago since I watched it though, but it was no where near how they mention it now. But I do believe it was brought up.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The streak wasn't some ultra prestigious thing until years later, and it certainly didn't have it's "legendary" status until Shawn Michaels got involved. There's a lot of shitty matches in the streak because for a long time it was simply just a trivia fact.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Nothing TOO bad, but his match with Big Show the month before was much better.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It was atrocious.

My reason for asking this is because this, alongside Taker/Sid and Taker/Henry, is 3 The Streak matches that you either love or hate. I hate it, but I want to know how others feel about it. From the poll result so far, looks like I'm right to ask this question.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts