Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I consider Johnny the #2 in ring guy in the company, behind only Bryan. He's a face people get behind and he's resilient. So he will obviously be kicking out of finishers and things because he has that Cena "Never Give Up" attitude thing.

·
Forever Blissful
1,669 Posts
I consider Johnny the #2 in ring guy in the company, behind only Bryan. He's a face people get behind and he's resilient. So he will obviously be kicking out of finishers and things because he has that Cena "Never Give Up" attitude thing.
Well said. That's pretty much Johnny's thing.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,918 Posts
We get what Johnny's gimmick is but it needs to be severely toned down, he's making wrestling look bad. I'm no wrestling purist but that match almost had me throwing a Cornette style fit of rage. We've seen how the superkick has become a completely meaningless move because first guys started kicking out of it, now they don't even sell it at all, we're headed to a point where no move has any meaning because not only is it okay to Kickout of everything, now you don't even have to attempt to sell them.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I'm not saying this in a condescending way, i just don't get it.
- he doesn't have that wow factor to his moveset like a Ricochet, not much in the way of high flying moves, which a good percentage of guys his size or even bigger have mastered nowadays.
- his style isn't as believable as a Daniel Bryan's, moreover he frequently no sells.
- he does these submission holds but he's so small and skinny they hardly look devastating.

I'll give him his due, he has genuine likeability to him, It's not like Sami Zayn's forced likeability a couple years ago, but he's been featured way too prominently and when you look at It, he's been outperformed by guys like Andrade, Black, and Ricochet.
This last bit really brings down your arguments. These particular guys are among their bottom tier. They all suck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'll give him his due, he has genuine likeability to him, It's not like Sami Zayn's forced likeability a couple years ago, but he's been featured way too prominently and when you look at It, he's been outperformed by guys like Andrade, Black, and Ricochet.
Really? Sami is actually naturally likable and feels like a "realistic" wrestler who plays the underdog babyface wrestler to perfection. If anything, Gargano is forced.
I think on his merits, Sami Zayn is a more talented performer than Gargano, he gets the storytelling aspect a lot better. But as far as their on screen presence, i feel like Gargano's real life personality is more conducive to the underdog role than Zayn's, furthermore i think Zayn has found his niche as a heel, while Gargano could never get past tweener stage.

·
Scarring the Night Sky
5,388 Posts
I think on his merits, Sami Zayn is a more talented performer than Gargano, he gets the storytelling aspect a lot better. But as far as their on screen presence, i feel like Gargano's real life personality is more conducive to the underdog role than Zayn's, furthermore i think Zayn has found his niche as a heel, while Gargano could never get past tweener stage.
I guess it's just a matter of taste then. Personally, I have never connected with Gargano. Zayn is very good as a heel and maybe some of that has made people forget how great he was at the underdog face role.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm just wondering when we get to the point where the ante has been upped so much, whatever fans are left have been so desensitized, that they're going to include weapons as part of their regular arsenal. Not even as high spots, but as regular moves like a punch or a kick. Maybe the finish could be a grenade blast. A couple of shotgun blasts as false finishes.

Wrestling has never been real, but it's always been about telling stories, eliciting an emotional reaction, and suspending disbelief. Johnny is 0 for 3, that's what makes him a bad worker.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
His match list going back to 2017 until now is probably the most consistent and best of anyone in the world. The guy just has "it". Tremendous performer. There hasn't been a guy to absorb the level of punishment and simultaneously deliver an almost equal amount in a match since HBK. And he's so damn likeable that he's got you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Andrade barely speaks English and he would therefore be unable to cope on his own. Plus, his finisher sucks.

Ricochet is a spot monkey and can't talk for shit. And he has apparently started dressing as a gay biker.

Aleister Black is a charisma vacuum with zero presence and mediocre promo skills. Moreover, he's a one-trick pony in the ring with only a flashy finisher to cling onto.

·
Forever Blissful
1,669 Posts
Andrade barely speaks English and he would therefore be unable to cope on his own. Plus, his finisher sucks.

Ricochet is a spot monkey and can't talk for shit. And he has apparently started dressing as a gay biker.

Aleister Black is a charisma vacuum with zero presence and mediocre promo skills. Moreover, he's a one-trick pony in the ring with only a flashy finisher to cling onto.
Wrong, everywhere.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts