Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Punk announcing that he is leaving after becoming No.1 contender to the end of Summerslam 2011. How highly do you rate the angle itself, and what place (if any) will the angle be held in the future in your opinion?

·
Registered
385 Posts
A 8 or 9 out of 10, if you had said to NOC I would have rated it lower because that's when they blew the angle to be honest.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
From Capitol Punishment (I think that's when he announced his honesty and that he's leaving) up until Summerslam, it was great. I loved every bit of it. The promos were awesome, the story was awesome. Then Nash came in, that wasn't the bad part, but once the mystery of "Who texted Nash?" came in or whatever, it got pretty damn stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I'll put it at 9. It was a fucking good summer, and had me hooked like I haven't been for a long time. CM Punk has been my favourite wrestler for years, so that's the only reason why I rank it higher than the summer of Nexus.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
9 up until MiTB and the following weeks leading up to Summerslam. 7 afterwards. Definitely the most entertaining Summer in years, mostly down to Punk's promos. I had a great time watching it all transpire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Solid 9 of 10, Punk was on fire during that span and it seemed people couldn't get enough. I think it was more him then the writing to, he took what they gave him and brought it to heights thought to be impossible to be reached in todays WWE. Of course somewhere shortly their after the push crashed into a wall and he started to become a little bland imo. Oh well, nothing last forever i suppose...

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
I'd give it a 10 right up until the night after Money in the Bank. From then, the whole angle just fell apart. Cena became champion again and Punk's whole victory just didn't feel important. Why would Vince be so scared of Punk running off with the title if he could just create a new one? And Cena outright stealing the title off Mysterio pissed me off. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that way.

I look back at the angle and think what started off as a ploy to potentially turn CM Punk into the hottest superstar in pro wrestling was just another ploy to boost Triple H's ego. From the night after MITB to now, this angle has been nothing but Triple H trying to get WWE back on track and convince the superstars that he's worthy of taking over Vince's role. Punk is literally back to square one after his loss to him and Cena's champion AGAIN (surprise surprise).

WWE wasted a title run on Alberto Del Rio. He has no place in this storyline and neither does Triple H, who should have never been involved in the first place. The whole appeal about Punk's shoot promo was the fact that it seemed REAL. When Triple H said "I love you pop", the whole thing turned into just another storyline. And I know most people knew it was fake from the beginning but there was always that little bit of doubt that Punk meant what he was actually saying. Kevin Nash's involvement was random as fuck.

Speaking of random, I'd love for somebody to tell me where R-Truth and Miz fit into all this. Their little conspriracy thing should been a sub-plot for Triple H, and now it's the main attraction. Absolute bullshit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd give it a 7 out of 10. The opening months were exciting as hell, but the recent Nash-Triple H thing got really old really fast, which kind of hurt the angle a little bit. That said, Punk is still the best thing WWE has to offer right now, and the fact that super Cena has the title again... hell, the fact that Punk lost the title to Del Rio to begin with, is shitty as hell!

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
I lost pretty much all interest in it after MITB. So not that high. Probably a 6

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
They had the potential to turn this thing from awesome to amazing after Summerslam.............but they didn't. I have wanted to see HHH and Punk mix it up in a proper feud for as long as I can remember now and while I enjoyed their promos together and their match at NOC, I can't help but feel utterly disappointed at what it all turned into. Everything was so promising, then Punk turned into a little whiner, Trips didn't respond, then when he did respond Punk kind of got exposed, their promos turned into a game of one up-manship instead of actually having a solid story behind them and the whole thing got bumrushed to hell. I'm as big of a HHH fan you're going to get but maybe it wasn't wise to involve him in this thing since over half the fans took his side. Then again, that isn't really his fault is it? They were going with the whole reality theme and it almost backfired on Punk tbh. Almost.

Anyways, I'd honestly give it a 10 heading into MITB because the last time I was that excited about Raw and WWE in general was during the HHH/Orton feud in 09. After that it dropped to about an 8 and then steadily went downhill. The best laid plans of mice and men, eh?

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Up to MITB - 10. Include Summerslam - 8. NoC - just a big "what the fuck?!". There is still a possibility it rolls into a bigger and more consistant angle but they have dropped the ball on the original story when he left at MitB.

·
Banned
2,176 Posts
I'd give it a 10 right up until the night after Money in the Bank. From then, the whole angle just fell apart. Cena became champion again and Punk's whole victory just didn't feel important. Why would Vince be so scared of Punk running off with the title if he could just create a new one? And Cena outright stealing the title off Mysterio pissed me off. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that way.

I look back at the angle and think what started off as a ploy to potentially turn CM Punk into the hottest superstar in pro wrestling was just another ploy to boost Triple H's ego. From the night after MITB to now, this angle has been nothing but Triple H trying to get WWE back on track and convince the superstars that he's worthy of taking over Vince's role. Punk is literally back to square one after his loss to him and Cena's champion AGAIN (surprise surprise).

WWE wasted a title run on Alberto Del Rio. He has no place in this storyline and neither does Triple H, who should have never been involved in the first place. The whole appeal about Punk's shoot promo was the fact that it seemed REAL. When Triple H said "I love you pop", the whole thing turned into just another storyline. And I know most people knew it was fake from the beginning but there was always that little bit of doubt that Punk meant what he was actually saying. Kevin Nash's involvement was random as fuck.

Speaking of random, I'd love for somebody to tell me where R-Truth and Miz fit into all this. Their little conspriracy thing should been a sub-plot for Triple H, and now it's the main attraction. Absolute bullshit.

Without Triple h , Punk would be feuding with Miz or R truth which is a mid card feud and Del rio vs cena automatically becomes Main event.

You clearly dont know what the fuck you are talking about.

WWE cant have cena losing every fucking PPV just so punk can look good and even if that happened , punk would appear to be a heel rather than a top face.

WWE is doing their best to make him the top guy , so quit bitching.

I would give a 7/10 for the angle , too many Insider references.

·
Registered
457 Posts
the mcmahon/Punk contract negotiation was one of my all time favorite segments. the match at mitb had me actually cheering(something i hadnt done since i was in the 6th grade. it was also the very rare angles where i continually asked myself is this real or is it a brilliant work?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts