Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You're telling me CM Punk and Ryback couldn't draw a decent PPV buy?

Advertise the match months in advance. Have the two of them shoot on each other every few weeks, spice it up on Twitter, talk about that 'other company', etc.

I think that show could do business.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Then Ryback gorilla press slams him & misses the table & Punk cries about receiving a z-pack

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You're telling me CM Punk and Ryback couldn't draw a decent PPV buy?

Advertise the match months in advance. Have the two of them shoot on each other every few weeks, spice it up on Twitter, talk about that 'other company', etc.

I think that show could do business.
It didn't at HIAC 2012 when Punk was champ and Ryback was at his peak.

It wouldn't now.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It couldn't be that hard. I mean, we have Jinder Mahal main eventing ppvs now. Everyone is basically equal.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didn't at HIAC 2012 when Punk was champ and Ryback was at his peak.

It wouldn't now.
What are you talking about? HIAC was their 4th highest buyrate that year beating out Survivor Series.

This would be much bigger than that, especially if they have free reign to promote the match as they please.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
in a funny way I do kinda agree with OP. In my mind, I've always considered the thought "it sounds so easy". If Daniel Bryan was ever let go of his contract...and i threw a TON of money at him and CM Punk and built up this humongous card. To me..it sounds like money. But, it's one of those things where, many people have tried and have clearly failed. So it seems like it's harder than we think.

And it's true. It's not just about putting a great card together and that's it....you'd have to do storyline stuff as well. BUT with today's MANY outlets for content, that sounds easy. CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan..... CM cuts promo's about how he's a UFC fighter and that Daniel needs to be careful with his injury.... Daniel says CM was a failure at UFC and the WWE brass knew he could wrestle but didn't want to push him. Hell, the feud can be built around them both hating the WWE (or whatever).. Put the videos on instagram...youtube..facebook...

but again haha...it sounds so easy and yet NO one has able to do it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What are you talking about? HIAC was their 4th highest buyrate that year beating out Survivor Series.

This would be much bigger than that, especially if they have free reign to promote the match as they please.
No it wasn't.

You'd be able to argue your point better if you didn't fabricate things.

It drew less than Survivor series, which isn't a surprise. HIAC also drew less in 2012 than it did in 2009,2010 and 2013 so it wasn't even a particularly successful show by its own standards.

Nothing will ever be bigger than the WWE In the wrestling industry, smarks may love Punk and maybe some love Ryback but the WWE brand is a bigger draw than both.

A random 1 off match between the 2 won't be anywhere near as big as their previous.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nothing will ever be bigger than the WWE In the wrestling industry, smarks may love Punk and maybe some love Ryback but the WWE brand is a bigger draw than both.
The WWE built it's brand on stars. The fans will go where the stars go.

When Hogan arrived in WCW, they started beating WWF. If not for Austin and Rock, they would have lost the war handily regardless of their established brand.

CM Punk is still one of the biggest wrestling superstars on the planet. He's bigger then anyone on the current roster not named John Cena or Brock Lesnar. If he announced he were coming back to Raw this Monday it would be the highest rated show of the entire year hands down.

Between him being gone all this time, the controversy of him leaving and the added wild card of it being a non-WWE event where he's free to promote himself the way he pleases... no reason why it couldn't draw a decent amount of buys.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,477 Posts
The WWE built it's brand on stars. The fans will go where the stars go.

When Hogan arrived in WCW, they started beating WWF. If not for Austin and Rock, they would have lost the war handily regardless of their established brand.
Didn't it take them over a year for their flagship program to beat the WWF's and a couple years for WCW to have any sort of dominance?

The NWO with heel Hogan was a huge draw but Hogan's dwindling star power as a face did't do much for them. You need more than name recognition to draw in people.

That being said, if someone could do the impossible and get CM Punk in a wrestling ring it would draw a great deal of attention and media coverage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts