Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, lets really think about this one for a minute. I know the cruiserweight division did not draw much for the WWE nor did the WWE make many storylines based off of it, but I honestly think WWE has what it takes to put on an incredibly strong cruiserweight division. We will never see anything like the old WCW cruiserweight division, a division that brought in all the talent they could possibly find from around the world, but just look at these names that the WWE has right now that they could put into it.

Sin Cara
Sami Zayn
Evan Bourne (where ever the fuck he is. Seriously what the hell happened to this guy??)
Tyson Kidd (who apparently is still employed)
Justin Gabriel
Primo Colon
Epico
Fandango
Heath Slater (the guy is actually a very talented high flyer, although I'm not so sure he fits the weight description)
Yoshi Tatsu (he's still employed right?)

There. You've got yourself an incredible talented cruiserweight division with just this talent alone. I'm not sure all of them fit the weight requirements, but for the most part, just the matches that we could see from these guys would be incredibly fun to watch. I'd love to see it on Smackdown again, to me that would give some meaning back to Smackdown, a way to make it stand out.

Oh and I guess Rey Mysterio could be thrown into the mix as well.

·
Banned
3,871 Posts
Fandango wut? You forgot the very best highflyer in the world today Adrian Neville. Just the thought of Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd in a triple threat for the cw title makes me hard :mark:

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
I would love to see this division come back as long as it was booked like it was during the mid to beginning of late 1990s wcw era. We had some fantastic matches and fueds; I.e, Mysterio vs Malenko, Jericho and Malenko, Ultimo Dragon in his MFin prime against everyone! Just as long as it isn't booked to crap like it was at the end when Lil Bastard was champ.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
they'll demote Bryan and throw him in there probably. He'll win it though..but its still embarassing...they tried to ruin the guy's career plenty of times already.
Why stop there? Throw in Punk, Kofi, Jericho, Cody Rhodes, and other smaller guys in there. Let these dwarfs slug it out while keeping them away from main titles so they stop ruining out buy rates! :vince3

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fandango wut? You forgot the very best highflyer in the world today Adrian Neville. Just the thought of Sami Zayn vs Adrian Neville vs Tyson Kidd in a triple threat for the cw title makes me hard :mark:
Holy shit how did I forget about him of all people...feel free to de rep me for that one because I pretty much deserve it at this point.

Man, now I just want the division back even more just from thinking about the possibilities.

·
Banned
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WWE already doesn't have TV time for most of those guys

Also WWE can't even book the IC and US titles right you think they can handle a new belt?
What do you think "booking the titles right" means?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
im just asking but why do people associate fandango with cruiserweight when hes like 244lb
i mean technically wouldn't that make him a heavyweight and kinda over sized in the cruiserweight division

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
:lmao some of the guys you put in your cruiserweight division are legit heavyweights. In what world is Fandango a cruiserweight?

And then there's the tiny problem of, if you put Sami Zayn sized people in the cruiserweight division it automatically bumps like 80% of the main roster in there too. At which point it no longer becomes a division, but the entire company.

·
Banned
460 Posts
You just have to look at the X Division, or how crappy the CW division was back 5-7 years ago to realise that wrestling has moved on since the 90's. While it made sense to have a CW division then, back when guys like Jericho and Malenko couldn't move up the card due to the amount of stars WCW had, now is a time where guys like Punk, Bryan, Austin Aries, AJ Styles etc. have all held world titles. So why would it make sense to have a separate weight division, when someone like CM Punk is fighting for the WWE title?

·
Banned
46 Posts
You just have to look at the X Division, or how crappy the CW division was back 5-7 years ago to realise that wrestling has moved on since the 90's. While it made sense to have a CW division then, back when guys like Jericho and Malenko couldn't move up the card due to the amount of stars WCW had, now is a time where guys like Punk, Bryan, Austin Aries, AJ Styles etc. have all held world titles. So why would it make sense to have a separate weight division, when someone like CM Punk is fighting for the WWE title?
This pretty much bodybaged the thread.

HOWEVER, i'm all for the idea of a new title and a US/IC unification. Make it a real undercard title, that can be on the line every RAW & Smackdown. This way the unified IC/US will be more accepted but also the new title will get over since it's often defended and young guys can really show us what they've got fighting for it.

·
Locker Room Leader
12,168 Posts
I see a surprising lack of Seth Rollins in your list OP. And Fandango is like 240 lbs.

But yeah, not sure it would work, since most of the roster would be eligible for that and we have main eventers who are technically cruiserweights now. The HW division would be clogged with Cena and Orton for another 5 years.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
It could be great but like others have said "smaller" guys get pushed more often now and having a Cruiserweight division and labeling them as lightweights could hurt them. I do think it could produce some amazing matches with the likes of Hunico, Gabriel, Kidd, Sin Cara, Mysterio, Tatsu, Pac, Samuray Del Sol etc.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
The WWE doesn't really know how to do cruiserweights based on what I've seen. The show IMO really doesn't allow enough time for these guys to really show their talents, and it's all about dorky gimmicks that get over with the kids anyways, and with cruiserweights, their main appeal is their wrestling. Counter productive.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
I mean, lets really think about this one for a minute. I know the cruiserweight division did not draw much for the WWE nor did the WWE make many storylines based off of it, but I honestly think WWE has what it takes to put on an incredibly strong cruiserweight division. We will never see anything like the old WCW cruiserweight division, a division that brought in all the talent they could possibly find from around the world, but just look at these names that the WWE has right now that they could put into it.

Sin Cara
Sami Zayn
Evan Bourne (where ever the fuck he is. Seriously what the hell happened to this guy??)
Tyson Kidd (who apparently is still employed)
Justin Gabriel
Primo Colon
Epico
Fandango
Heath Slater (the guy is actually a very talented high flyer, although I'm not so sure he fits the weight description)
Yoshi Tatsu (he's still employed right?)

There. You've got yourself an incredible talented cruiserweight division with just this talent alone. I'm not sure all of them fit the weight requirements, but for the most part, just the matches that we could see from these guys would be incredibly fun to watch. I'd love to see it on Smackdown again, to me that would give some meaning back to Smackdown, a way to make it stand out.

Oh and I guess Rey Mysterio could be thrown into the mix as well.
The weight limit used to be 220lbs so pretty sure Heath would qualify, as would Punk, Bryan, Kofi, Christian (who's held the Light-Heavyweight title), Curt Hawkins (he's still employed right?) and maybe Jericho as well.

they'll demote Bryan and throw him in there probably. He'll win it though..but its still embarassing...they tried to ruin the guy's career plenty of times already.
Doesn't need to be a demotion, I've often said that I believe the CW title should return as a replacement for the World title. It would be the title any Royal Rumble winner under 220lbs would challenge for. Think about the championship matches he could have with Mysterio, Christian or Jericho in the near future before facing guys NXT like Sami Zayn, Adrien Neville, Cory Graves and Tyler Breeze in a couple of years. Would you prefer to see him face Big Show again? How about Mark Henry? Those 2 have there place in wrestling, I'd just prefer it wasn't across the ring from Bryan.

·
FOTC
11,395 Posts
The CW division from WCW was just unbelievable. Guys like Malenko, Rey, Eddie could work circles around the top guys in today's WWE. There is no one of the current roster that is comparable to any of those three guys I mentioned. As good as guys like Bryan and Punk are they aren't on the same level as those WCW guys.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
The CW division from WCW was just unbelievable. Guys like Malenko, Rey, Eddie could work circles around the top guys in today's WWE. There is no one of the current roster that is comparable to any of those three guys I mentioned. As good as guys like Bryan and Punk are they aren't on the same level as those WCW guys.
Bryan is certainly on that level. Maybe not better than Eddie or Rey in their peak, but he is definitely on their level and certainly better than Malenko (who I am a big fan of). However, the beauty of that division was that it was the best talent all across the world. WWE never signed that kind of talent like WCW did.

·
Registered
243 Posts
After they humiliated the division by giving the title to Hornswoggle, I rather not. Also, the scare of guys like Bryan and Punk might get demoted to the division if it happens.

Although I do want a match full of high flyers, I don't want it to be named cruiserweight or be an actual division. I rather see it as an attraction, some little storyline and a title. Maybe bring back an old title, the Hardcore belt. Now that wouldn't sound like a demotion from being a main eventer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts