Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just watching a bunch of clips from their fued. It was pretty exciting. I remember when i was a kid and i completly went crazy when Taker/Kane came out to save lita. Just epic.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Great fued. Tag match at Backlash 2001 was great. I wish Backlash 2001 wasn't so much money. Used on amazon it's like $50. I mean it's a great PPV (Angle & Benoit steal the show and with a classic match IMHO) but I can't bring myself to pay more than $25-30 for ONE dvd.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
When I look back now, it was a nice feud but at that time everyone completely hated it and business was going down in every aspect, crazy fast, Taker wasn't the strong babyface Austin needed. I also think that Austin was much better with Angle than he was with HHH, with HHH he was more ruthless and all that but it was nothing compared to the amazing chemistry he and Kurt had, in and out of the ring. That was the main reason Austin turned heel, he felt he was stale and wanted something fresh, Stone Cold killing people with chairs is nothing new and was pretty bland, but Austin backstage doing awesome segments with Angle and Vince was comedy gold and their work was tremendous in every aspect.

The April 9-May period was probably the least interesting time of 2001, it was still amazing when you look back now because a terrible show in 2001 is the best show of the year now, but for the standards back then? not as good and it should have been with a huge moment like the Austin heel turn with Vince.

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Awesome feud. This thread reminds me about the incredible tag match at Backlash. 2001 or 2000.. I've forgotten.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I thought it was tremendous to see that much gold on the line in one match. Joe vs Angle has since topped the gold-competitor ratio established here.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Decent feud, nothing memorable or special. But to be honest, in the first place Austin & Taker never had that much chemistry to begin with, so it was none of their fault.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
When I look back now, it was a nice feud but at that time everyone completely hated it and business was going down in every aspect, crazy fast, Taker wasn't the strong babyface Austin needed. I also think that Austin was much better with Angle than he was with HHH, with HHH he was more ruthless and all that but it was nothing compared to the amazing chemistry he and Kurt had, in and out of the ring. That was the main reason Austin turned heel, he felt he was stale and wanted something fresh, Stone Cold killing people with chairs is nothing new and was pretty bland, but Austin backstage doing awesome segments with Angle and Vince was comedy gold and their work was tremendous in every aspect.

The April 9-May period was probably the least interesting time of 2001, it was still amazing when you look back now because a terrible show in 2001 is the best show of the year now, but for the standards back then? not as good and it should have been with a huge moment like the Austin heel turn with Vince.
Exactly. Looking back awesome but honestly this feud I am pretty sure people would have prefer the Tori with Kane or X-pac feud. Just as random.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Sure it was fun and produced a few really good matches but I personally felt that they were pushed too far, they had (Austin and HHH) if I am not mistaken all the titles available by the end of the feud before they started with Benoit/Jericho. Made the rest of the roster in hind sight look like a pile of crap and buried them not giving them anything to fight for.

Though as a feud as a whole it was different and pretty good.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I popped when they first came out to save Lita, but it was all down from there. You had the major disappointment of thinking the Hardy Boyz were going to get made, only to be replaced by existing main eventers. Austin and HHH's promos were obnoxious, and HHH as a bad guy was just damned old by then. Kane and the Undertaker tried in the matches, but they were booked as either meat-heads that won or meat-heads that got hit with gimmicks. I remember a terrible video package to Marilyn Manson's "Fight Song" which was almost exclusively Austin and HHH hitting people with chairs. I also recall Kane and HHH having a good Chain Match or something, but definitely felt like redundant television.

When you realize that the business was hurting and HHH had been in the perfect position to turn face during the Rock/Austin cage match after Wrestlemania, it's just sad. You didn't get him as a fresh face to foil Austin, you didn't get the Hardyz as new top stars, you just got the crappy Two Man Power Trip in the same old heel-heavy booking. Everybody came out of if the same as they went in, and would wrestle each other yet again on a future date.

More power to Rock316AE on Angle/Austin being a better duo. Funny Heel Austin wasn't going to change the business, but at least he was entertaining then.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
HHH/Austin was great fued and they should have keep that rivalries beyond 2001.. before AUstin turn heel HHH and Austin have that intense fued they was killing each other but on RAW after WM17 Austin/HHH became buddy to men power trip just doesn't work for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
To be honest, it was a pretty mediocre feud with a lacklustre blow off. By this point we'd seen Austin vs Undertaker so many times, particularly in the late 90's, it was getting stale. While the tag match at Backlash 2001 was a good match, and the Triple H vs Kane chain match was good, Undertaker vs Stone Cold as the focal point of the show was redundant, and their match at Judgement day 2001 was a 30 minute snoozefest which just kept going and going. Pretty overrated in hindsight if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Undertaker vs Austin always have good fued but they never have a good match against each other... let say Taker vs Austin @WM29 and both of them is 100% healthy and no issue with their health also whatever just like in their prime, don't expect their match to be great but if either Taker or Austin against someone else you can expect those 2 to have memorial match.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
It wasn't a good feud at all as for me that was basically the end of Stone Cold Steve Austin because from here on in he became a comedy character who was cowardly and really in effect was at times overshadowed by Triple H who was such a naturally great heel. Having to watch The Undertaker and Kane both make Stone Cold Steve Austin their bitch who could only get the better of them by sneak attacks and with chairs after spending years of going toe to toe with them was horrible to watch.

Once Vince McMahon knew prior to WrestleMania 17 that The Rock was going away for a good few months to film The Scorpion King or The Mummy Returns and he knew he had bought WCW and ECW he should never have allowed the heel turn for Stone Cold Steve Austin because after a year away he had become fresh and had just found his groove again going into The Royal Rumble. If Stone Cold Steve Austin wanted to turn heel as he has said himself he did he should have waited until The Rock was back and the Invasion storyline was over as Stone Cold Steve Austin as a heel in 2002 would have worked brilliantly on the back of a solid face run in 2001 and may have seen him stick around in 2002 as creatively a lot of doors would have opened up for him.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
When you realize that the business was hurting and HHH had been in the perfect position to turn face during the Rock/Austin cage match after Wrestlemania, it's just sad. You didn't get him as a fresh face to foil Austin, you didn't get the Hardyz as new top stars, you just got the crappy Two Man Power Trip in the same old heel-heavy booking. Everybody came out of if the same as they went in, and would wrestle each other yet again on a future date.
This right here. I remember watching that Raw and they teased it so well throughout the show with HHH being angry as fuck with Vince for not telling him the plan with Austin etc. After all their history together I just knew he was going to do something. Then he came out during the Rock/Austin match and instead of hitting Austin he hit Rock!!! I know why they did it. Austin wanted to freshen himself up but they knew rightly that they were going to have a hard time getting him truly over and booed as a heel so they paired him with the biggest heat magnet they had in HHH. But I think they missed a great opportunity there. Despite his heelness, Trips was starting to get some face pops at certain shows. Turning Austin heel and then turning HHH face or even tweener just might have been enough to make the whole thing work. It also would have played in nicely to the HHH/Stephanie marriage where Steph would obviously be forced to choose between her husband and her father. That would have been another platform to launch babyface HHH too. But hey, it's all for nought lol. He got hurt and that was that. It even seemed as if they were teasing a HHH face turn during the Two Man Power Trip as well with all the miscommunications etc taking place towards the end. Had he not got injured I think a face HHH vs. heel Austin for the title at Summerslam 01 would have been a very probable main event. I guess we'll never know unfortunately.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
Yeah I didn't like it, I mean the feud everyone wanted to see was Face Rock chasing heel Austin and if they knew Rock was leaving to film for 6 months they should have realized their wasn't a babyface big enough to face Austin at the time. Triple H V Austin "could" have worked but they had a massive feud just finish and I didn't really want to see that again either.

They probably did the best they could with Taker as filler while they got Kurt ready but we never really got the feud the audience wanted.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
To be honest, it was a pretty mediocre feud with a lacklustre blow off. By this point we'd seen Austin vs Undertaker so many times, particularly in the late 90's, it was getting stale. While the tag match at Backlash 2001 was a good match, and the Triple H vs Kane chain match was good, Undertaker vs Stone Cold as the focal point of the show was redundant, and their match at Judgement day 2001 was a 30 minute snoozefest which just kept going and going. Pretty overrated in hindsight if you ask me.
Undertaker vs Austin always have good fued but they never have a good match against each other... let say Taker vs Austin @WM29 and both of them is 100% healthy and no issue with their health also whatever just like in their prime, don't expect their match to be great but if either Taker or Austin against someone else you can expect those 2 to have memorial match.
I agree, the two just didn't have chemistry. This is why I feel like whenever someone praises their Summerslam 1998 match, I think that someone must have missed the dead crowd, botches, and slow pace in that match.

their Judgment Day 2001 match I agree was no different. Pretty boring, just like any Taker vs Austin in existence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts