Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I know everyone's seen this promo. And while it is pretty funny, I look at the comments and say, how did it "end" his career? It wasn't anything special in my opinion, Rocky owned people harder than that. To be honest I never watched that promo when it first aired until, well, years later on YouTube. So was it really all that embarrassing that he couldn't possibly recover from it?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Who said it "ended" his career?

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
It didn't. It might have been the reason he never went to WWE Championship status though. The knock on Billy Gunn back then was that he would get gassed really quickly into his matches and that his mic work wasn't very strong out side of saying 'If you're not down with that, we got 2 words for ya....'

·
Registered
591 Posts
People say that and mean it led to people never being able to take Mr. Ass seriously anymore.
Kinda hard to take anyone with the name "Mr Ass" seriously tbh. I know Billy Gunn is bitter about the WWE not giving him the push he "deserved", but at the time when the crowd are super into 5 other guys, it's hard to break through, and he just wasn't able to break through.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Not only that, Gunn was not that over to feud with The Rock and The Rock was on fire at that time, at that time period he surpassed even Austin, another one:
The Rock says this, if the Rock hits you he'll kill you. If he misses, the wind behind the punch will give you pneumonia and you'll die anyway, so the choice is yours jabroni.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Not only that, Gunn was not that over to feud with The Rock and The Rock was on fire at that time, at that time period he surpassed even Austin, another one:
*looks at Rock's quote*

Hehe that's our Rock for you. Always owns pretty much anyone who dares stand in his way.

I really like this promo. It's one of my favorites. Problem is I can't find the better version than this on youtube.

The crows sounds like someone is flushing the toilet. Someone really needs to put up a better quality one.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Basically no one ever took Billy Gunn even remotely serious after Summerslam 99...

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
that promo didn't end his career. Billy's lack of not convincing the crowd to give a fuck ended his career.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
It did end his career, in terms of being a prominent talent.

Afterwards:

-"The One" Billy Gunn
-Billy and Chuck (which was great but still)
-TNA/The James Gang/Voodoo Kin Mafia
-TNA/Beautiful People/Kute Kip

Yeah, pretty much did end his career.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,733 Posts
That promo really didn't "end" Billy's career. Him becoming Mr. Ass and then being a part of Billy & Chuck helped to further ruin his career. I think the real reason why NAO succeeded so much was the fact that Gunn and James played off each other so well. Gunn had the looks and the wrestling while James had the charisma and mic skills. Gunn never had that connection with the crowd as a singles star. If being in a feud with The Rock can't get you over as a heel, than you know something's wrong. Gunn's career was ended on bad gimmicks and a lack of crowd connection outside of DX and NAO.

·
Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
4,745 Posts
Best theme song ever, and those see through trunks = best ring attire since Goldust

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Stuff like Mr.Ass,Billy&Chuck is what ended his career Nobody
wants to see a Bi-wreslers lovestory played out again NOBODY
example check TNA and the Bi story with Orlando Whats his name.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Billy Gunn ended Billy Gunn's career.

Rock's promos were harsh, but Triple H, Chris Jericho, John Cena, Undertaker, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, the Miz, Edge, Christian and Chris Benoit survived them.

Hell, the only two guys that were really "destroyed" by the Rock were Gunn and Goldberg, and guess what? What popularity they did have was a combination of luck and booking.

The Rock didn't end careers, he exposed them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts