Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking how the WWE seems to be able to push so many wrestlers into being stars compared with TNA that seems to buy in people who they hope will be/are already stars instead.

Is it down to the WWE's training camps where they have 'talent spotters' that can tell if someone has 'it' and then they'll get the push on WWE?

I'm not saying the WWE always gets it right because they don't but they just seem to have such a higher calibre of starscompared with TNA. Or is it just a smokescreen and really its the rest of the WWE product that is a lot more polished?

Apart from AJ Styles, MCMG, and Beer Money, I'm struggling to think of anyone else the TNA has nurtured into a star that wasn't one already? Is this what will always hold TNA back? Do they need to get some development camps in place to polish the talent before it comes to the screen (classic case = Rob Terry).

What can TNA do to make more stars or is it a case there are X things that need to be sorted out/ironed out first and then the stars will come from within the TNA?

·
You are being watched
5,683 Posts
TNA tries to make Kevin Nash a bigger star than he is ;)
Thats bad because... 8*D I've got too much love for big Kev!

On to that list, add Pope and Morgan, Samoa Joe, Jay Lethal, Christopher Daniels, Angelina Love who has been impressive as of late, Abyss (rarity of big monsters nowadays) Low-Ki/Senshi/Kaval, Gail Kim and others!

But it's because TNA are so wrapped around one or two storylines they generally forget about pushing people. The future of professional wrestling (in my eyes) , Jay Lethal defeated the best wrestler to ever live via submission in the summer, and seemed to be well on his way to superstardome, but TNA got so in to the one or two storylines they just couldn't be arsed or they didn't have the televised time to continue the undercard plots. Its how Bischoff and Russo and Hogan work, look at WCW 1999-2001. Nearly all about the Horsemen, the World Title and the NWO. A few twists and turns occurd on the undercard but nothing compared to the appeal (or lack of for some people) of the undercard. So people start not caring about the pushes and TNA just give up, because people don't care and they focus even MORE time on the main plot. Vicious cycle.

I may be wrong, but that's the way I personally see it.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Obvious answer: TNA doesn't.

WWE not only built up characters. They advertised them, gave them key storylines, made them look as good as possible and - most of all - let them BE stars rather than let them be "soon will become stars" for multiple years.

Only guy who ever was pushed as a real star in TNA was AJ Styles, with Eric Young coming close on a mid card level and Samoa Joe & others making himself stars, while getting killed off constantly. If you now point out Beer Money & Machine Guns, it's a new direction.

Bischoff may not be the nicest guy. Maybe he's even the expensive one who leads TNA into death. But since he "took over" TNA promoted Jay Lethal and the Machine Guns better than ever before. Beer Money & Kaz coming out better, too. And they also had no chance to become "stars" in TNA under Jarrett, Angle or whoever was in charge before.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
When it comes to making stars TNA is not even in the WWEs league. FAR from it. Without the WWE 90% of all the wrestling greats that got us watching in the first place(Stone Cold, Hulk Hogan, HBK, The Rock, Undertaker, etc.) would have never been here. Period.

That said the real issue is how to make stars in a company like TNA. First of all the whole booking philosophy needs to change. TNA seems to never stay consistent and they usually never let things ride out. Not only that but they never seem to PROTECT the guys they are pushing(Matt Morgan the supposed "enforcer" of Fortune losing to Brian Kendrick, AJ losing his title to RVD in 8 min, etc.). I always think of TNAs booking as like those sleazy door to door salesmans that will always drop everything they have and screw everyone over just because they think this new product they got a hold of is gonna make them a fortune and what not. Its like the minute some ex WWE guy comes in, they crap all over the guy they are pushing and at the same time drop all angles for a supposed new one that will "raise the bar". Only to find themselves failing of course and making nobody in the process.

The problem with TNA is they are not CONSISTENT. Once they actually apply some consistency and some direction to their booking only then can they really make stars and get angles over. So when you sign that new WWE guy(or old) hold em off and figure out a way to use him that will benefit ALL the talent and not just Dixies wallet.

·
Banned
8,557 Posts
There is no comparison:

In the E you have guys who deserve to be in the main event(Cena,Orton, Barrett,Del Rio, Rey), and in TNA just overrated vanilla midgets/indy wrestlers.

Thats why McMahon is a genious.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
In all fairness WWE hasn't really made anything close to a star for a while until Randy Orton came into his own this year (and even he isn't completely there yet). Lets not overate WWE here; I don't say this in defending TNA but in looking at both companies in general.

But as far as increasing the general noterity of their characters, it pretty much comes down to superior booking. WWE for starters has a clear idea on which guys they want you to care about. They make sure that these particular guys are on the show and do what they can to protect them and give them meaningful roles without oversaturating the title picture or going out of their way to put them in stupid storylines that may actually hurt the product and the character in general. Of course, some guys fall by the wayside but they are usually guys WWE has no faith in or guys the audience can't stand; WWE almost never keeps guys they are actively trying to promote in perpetual limbo.

WWE, more importantly recognizes that midcarders and upper-midcarders are not supposed to be as adored as the main eventers, which is something TNA and much of the IWC doesn't seem to recognize. WWE has no problems with putting guys on TV if they beleive they can geniunely add to the show without having to overanalyzing attributes like mic skills, wrestling ability, and personality; they just make sure that these guys aren't promoted at the expense of their more important characters. Main eventers come off naturally better when it is clear that they are the top dogs on the show, but at the same time they know the fans can emotionally invest in guys who aren't in the main feuds and doesn't automatically consider underestablished guys as completely expendable.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
In all fairness WWE hasn't really made anything close to a star for a while until Randy Orton came into his own this year (and even he isn't completely there yet). Lets not overate WWE here; I don't say this in defending TNA but in looking at both companies in general.
Dude I don't think anybody is overrating the WWE. They gave us all the greats all under one guy Vince Mcmahon who is still running the company to this day. Sure they haven't been making that many stars in the past 5 years or so but given their undeniable track record its safe assume that when WWE wants to make a guy, they CAN and WILL make a guy. Looking at TNA they've made but ONE main eventer in the company and even right now hes got the TV title of all titles. Shows how much TNA knows about intelligent booking and protecting your guys...

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
WWE is a promotional juggernaut. They have the resources (money, TV time, name recognition, etc.) that TNA just does not have.

Reactions: -SAW-

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
It to easy for the WWE. All the WWE have to do is take Ezekiel Jackson make Abraham Washington his manager, Have him destroy everyone in 30 sec and american fans will love him. In the Impactzone TNA can not do that..

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
The only thing WWE has over TNA is exposure. You cant be a true star untill everyone knows you. A true household name. I watch TNA becuase i prefer Storm, Roode, Young (untill they fucked him up), MCMGs, Styles, Lethal over anything in the WWE. But without that national exposure TNA will never truely create a star. If the E wants people to know someone you see them alot. They appear on TV alot there on the website alot. You get emails featuring there picture. You turn on the website and there picture is one of the 4 in the sides.

Dude I don't think anybody is overrating the WWE. They gave us all the greats all under one guy Vince Mcmahon who is still running the company to this day. Sure they haven't been making that many stars in the past 5 years or so but given their undeniable track record its safe assume that when WWE wants to make a guy, they CAN and WILL make a guy. Looking at TNA they've made but ONE main eventer in the company and even right now hes got the TV title of all titles. Shows how much TNA knows about intelligent booking and protecting your guys...
Bullshit. How many times has Jericho, Beniot, Big Show etc.. gone from winning the world title to a mid card title. The title you hold means nothing its a prop.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The WWE has only made one star since the Attitude Era, John Cena. UFC made Brock Lesnar into a star. They are trying with Orton but he might not be meant to be a star, he might be meant to be the top rival of the star.

Hate to break it to you nerds but guys like Edge, Rey Jr., AJ Styles, Joe, etc...these guys arent true stars. They are glorified midcarders that are thrust into the main event scene because wrestling lacks stars. Then you have guys like Wade Barrett, Abyss, & Shamus that no matter how hard they are shoved down our throats will never be stars.

But it has been a long time since Wrestling has had a plethora of stars. Back in the boom period you had WCW create stars out of Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, & Goldberg. Yes Diesel and Ramon were main eventers with the WWF, but they werent stars. They became superstars in WCW. You had Austin, Michaels, HHH, & Rock in the WWF, stars that were created. Throw into that guys like SUndertaker, Ric Flair, Macho Man, & Hulk Hogan which were already huge stars and you see why wrestling was so popular back then.

The only ones on todays rosters that would main event then would be John Cena & Randy Orton.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
WWE is a promotional juggernaut. They have the resources (money, TV time, name recognition, etc.) that TNA just does not have.
/thread

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Bullshit. How many times has Jericho, Beniot, Big Show etc.. gone from winning the world title to a mid card title. The title you hold means nothing its a prop.
And? Who are only 3 not as established guys(They arent mega stars obviously but imo have reached their pinnacle) to the DOZENS of guys Vince has made 3 of them being arguably the greatest of all time(Hogan, Austin, Rock)? I never said Vince never fails but more often then not when the WWE decides to make you can trust them and trust that your career will be handled right. When the WWE wants to make you they will put ALL their resousces into you and time has shown that.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
This is one HUGE misconception on here that I don't think people seem to understand. Theres making a household name(which the WWE can do because they are mainstream), and then theres making Main Eventers within your own respective company. ROH couldn't make Joe into a mainstream star but they did make him a credible Main Eventer. ECW couldn't make RVD into a mainstream star but they did make him into a credible Main Eventer, and so on.

Of course TNA can't make mainstream stars and thats obviously because of the lack of resources, but they CAN make Main Eventers within their company yet they've proven time and time again that they can't even do that. Out of all the potential main eventers within their company all they've made is ONE in the whole 8 years of existence. The resources is not the problem its the freakin booking that is. They don't have any established guys because they don't know how to make established guys.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
And? Who are only 3 not as established guys(They arent mega stars obviously but imo have reached their pinnacle) to the DOZENS of guys Vince has made 3 of them being arguably the greatest of all time(Hogan, Austin, Rock)? I never said Vince never fails but more often then not when the WWE decides to make you can trust them and trust that your career will be handled right. When the WWE wants to make you they will put ALL their resousces into you and time has shown that.
Ok how many times has the Rock been world Champion the tag team champion. Your point is false accept it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts