Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it disrespectful to the people who pay their bills also no one thinks its real anymore the term mark is outdated imo

·
Banned
7,268 Posts
It's our choice to pay... If they want to call us marks, it's fine with me.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ummm...WE call OURSELVES a *insert wrestler/s* mark/s. Sooooooooo why get mad or feel insulted if a wrestler says it.

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
I usually say fan, mark might be kinda outdated in the "Reality.ish Era" by its core definition, its kind of a grey area.
I usually only label someone a "mark" who is delusional in their attachment to their favorite wrestler, or the "It's still real to me" type.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
The butthurt is strong here. It's an old term that has been used for years. Who cares?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
It's just a euphemism for "wrestling fan". No reason to get upset over it.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
I feel hurt and betrayed. I feel as though my soul has been thrown away and torn asunder. I feel as though my weeping goes unheard by a world that ought to know my pain, for it is a world that sees my pain. Why does the world not care? I ache and no-one listens.

·
Banned
460 Posts
I usually say fan, mark might be kinda outdated in the "Reality.ish Era" by its core definition, its kind of a grey area.
I usually only label someone a "mark" who is delusional in their attachment to their favorite wrestler, or the "It's still real to me" type.
Stop saying "reality era". It's never going to catch on. PG Era has been set in stone for years now

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
Stop saying "reality era". It's never going to catch on. PG Era has been set in stone for years now
You did notice I put it in the "quotes" and added ish. meaning I was just using it for description.
:StephenA

·
Registered
81 Posts
The urban dictionary definition of mark is:
mark
noun. A person identified as an easy target, or "sucker". A mark is always the short end of a joke or scam, and is never let in on whats going on. A mark is usually being cheated out of money. It's origin is from old English traveling carnivals from the late 1800s to early 1900s, where workers would refer to people paying to see thier made up shows and games a "mark". not from urban gangsters like most people think. Mark is also the origin to the term "smark" or "smart mark" which is a person who know's he/she is being scamed.

Which this is the definition I grew up on, I've been a wrestling fan for over 20 years and never considered myself a "mark". Nonetheless, it doesn't bother me that a wrestler would refer a fan as a "mark". Shit, they call themselves mark, it's just wrestler lingo that they use in the locker room. In all technicality, most all wrestling fans fit into the definition. Because no matter how much people bitch about how bad a PPV was, guess what you tuned into the next night? MARKS! lol not a big deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts