Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These guys specifically. Rusev, had a lot of character and presence and a great gimmick with Aiden as a manager. He felt totally old school to me. Its sucks that they decided to fire him even if he wasn't easy to work with. Heath Slater also displayed a lot more character and personality than a bunch of guys on the current roster, though no one took interest in him and he was left to be nothing more than a jobber.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I see Heath Slater as no real loss. He played a very minor midcard role that can easily be filled by someone else.

Rusev on the other hand had a habit of taking everything given to him and making it work. His natural charisma and personality would show through everything he did. I think his Rusev Day line was just a throwaway, one-off line when talking to the New Day, but the way he delivered it made it stand out and it caught on. He got that super over and it's a shame the company never figured him into their overall plans.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I'm more susprised by the fact Heath Slater stayed in the company for a decade. If you had told me back in 2010 that Heath Slater would have stayed around longer than Wade Barrett and Justin Gabriel in the company I'd think you were crazy. I don't care that he's gone.

Rusev is kind of a shame though.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see Heath Slater as no real loss. He played a very minor midcard role that can easily be filled by someone else.

Rusev on the other hand had a habit of taking everything given to him and making it work. His natural charisma and personality would show through everything he did. I think his Rusev Day line was just a throwaway, one-off line when talking to the New Day, but the way he delivered it made it stand out and it caught on. He got that super over and it's a shame the company never figured him into their overall plans.
Dunno if its just me but his personality literally entertained me more than the likes of Kofi and Kevin Owens. Hes a small non threatening dude with a low midcarder ceiling but he could've been something more than cedric,ricochet and crews. Meh.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,173 Posts
Rusev is a huge missed opportunity. Guy had a good look, naturally likable personality and was mega over during the Rusev Day run. Absolutely mind boggling why Vince would not push him especially during an Era completely barren of stars.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,151 Posts
Slater I feel like brought value because you had a guy that you could keep on the lower card and people would care about him. He did entertaining stuff and had personality and there's a lot of value in that.

Rusev had a great personality and they should have been able to do something with that as well. I don't have a high of opinion of him as some of the people on here that I've seen but he was over and he's likable. There's no reason to get rid of him when there are plenty of people on the roster who can't get over.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I wouldn't mind Heath back one day for a 3mb reunion even though we should have gotten that when all 3 men were on the same brand a year ago.

Rusev's character has been ruined when they made him the new Mike Kanellis, it hurt his credibility badly. He should have been the guy sleeping with Maria and pushing Mike around. Instead they gave Maria and Mike's gimmick to Lana and Rusev. I see him going the route of Ryback and doing mukbang videos on Youtube and gaming on Twitch but not doing anything noteworthy in wrestling anymore.

·
Registered
23,959 Posts
Sad in the sense that Slater was a guy that even from an undercard position could stay over and make whatever was given to him work and with Rusev as a guy who had some success but could have had a lot more.

But happy that both will find success elsewhere.

·
Banned
4,848 Posts
Never mattered how talented Rusev was. Once Vince cast him in his mind as the monster heel, he could never see anything else. This mentality has been proven with Vince over and over again.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Why do I get the feeling years down the road they sign Slater back and he completes the 3MB trifecta of WWE Champions after coming back from a release.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Neither guy is a big loss. It's not for lack of talent or willingness to do whatever was asked of them but that WWE had zero intention of using them any better than they did that makes them fairly insignificant losses. You can argue that Rusev had a much higher ceiling than he was able to show in WWE and that may very well be the case but he was never utilized in a truly significant manner. Slater(based on the decision to use him as comedic fodder) was about where he should have been for the duration of his run in WWE and as entertaining as he was it was only truly tolerable in small doses. His act at any given time was something that if they attempted to push it consistently would have run it's course rather quickly.

Both guys could use an opportunity from another company to either reinvent themselves(Slater) or to reinvigorate their career(Rusev). I do hope that both men receive such an opportunity as they both have enough talent to do more than they were given the opportunity to in WWE.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I think both of them could be potential world champions and not joking. Slater just needs to do a body transformation like the other 3mb members. He has the personality to get over and connect with people. He just needs to re invent himself a little. I think he could totally do it.

Rusev also connect with people in a way Santino could as a comedy character but still look legit enough to kick ass. They should have never turned Lana into this trashy character and kept her and Rusev together, not feuding with each other.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Both talented guys, no question, but neither was irreplaceable. I'm not sure anyone is these days. Slater had been up there for ten years. He might even be welcomed back after the virus, provided he doesn't sign his soul away. Rusev wants out, and more power to him. He does have that old school vibe to him, but he needs to stick to that and not get carried away with comedy.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Slater had kids, he needed that job.

Honestly, both had a higher celing than WWE let them have. Neither of them were ever going to be "the guy". But, both could have (and should have ) been mid-card staples.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts