Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, The Rock won the WWF Championship at the 1998 Survivor Series. Prior to the "controversial" ending, The Rock was a face and the second most popular man on the roster after Steve Austin. I am asking this question because I am currently watching some old Attitude Era episodes of RAW IS WAR on Justin.tv and the crowd really popped for The Rock during his face run in 1998. How would The Rock's career alter had he stayed face at Survivor Series 1998 instead of turning heel and becoming the Corporate Champion.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
he was pretty much over in his two month face run in 1998 , got HUGE pops

but no , his corporation heel turn did a lot wonders for him .. he was a good face but still wasn't quite there

corporate rock was very , very useful to his career

·
Registered
601 Posts
His heel turn at Survivor Series was only done because there was no great heel for Austin to face at Mania, and it was far too early in Austin's run for them to stage a Face vs. Face showdown.

Turning him heel at Survivor Series only prolonged the inevitable, but understand it was done for Austin's sake and not Rock's. Had Rock remained face, he would have been too over and too hot NOT to get Austin's way. Keeping him and Austin apart would have only worked for so long.

If Rock doesn't turn that night, he turns another night. There was no way they were going to keep him face AND the world champion. Not as long as Austin was there. Not yet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
after reading the additional posts on this thread, i think a better question would be what if they kep rock face, would he have been bigger then stone cold?

·
Banned
5,374 Posts
The only time I can recall where a wrestler turns heel and the fans are the bad guys. I mean, we turned on him first, so every insult he threw at us we deserved. Very ironic it worked out that way but also really cool. Now hes one of the most beloved superstars of all time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts