Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything about it was better. When I was a kid and they first went on TV I actually got more excited about it than WWE. It wasn't just the 6-sided ring and tunnel entraces...but the match quality and roster was just amazing! We never see an Ultimat X anymore on free TV and the X division is basically dead. Every PPV was top quality and they built some amazing stars. The roster was packed and the sorylines were great. The stuff they delivered on TV each week was much better than anything we see on PPV now. What the hell happened?

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
The only thing about TNA on Fox sportsnet that was better than the current TNA was the X-Division. No question about it, that was amazing wrestling.

·
Banned
7,973 Posts
I ask the same thing about WWE, WCW, and ROH. And honestly, some things where better back then and some things are better now. Overall I would say that that the product is more entertaining for me than the the way it was in the past. Just my opinion though. The six sided ring was always made me feel like the show was a little too gimmicky.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have an answer:

Kids appreciate much more than teenagers or adults. When you give you kids something to play with, they are grateful, but when they are teenagers/adults they always want more and are greedy. When your a kid you don't nitpick as much as when your older. You just enjoy the entertainment. 10 years ago TNA had problems too, maybe more than they do even now. You just didn't see them as your were just appreciating what they were doing.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Ultimate X should never be on free TV.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The match quality was better... But the storylies and attempts at entertainment were weak at best.

Especially the d'amore era. Stupid segments like the Dudley's and the outlaws engaging in a yo momma contest, sting partaking in a game of deal or no deal involving buff bag well and lex Luger, and the Jeff jarrett, Larry zybisco team Canada conspiracy neglect that fucking went no where.

If I were to watcha year in tna,I'd go with the weekly ppv era. You had cutting edge wrestling, decent storylines, ect.

One of the reasons I was better that people don't consider is that they didn't have a network to answer to. Who knows how much spike t. Has and he big an influence they have.

Another fun era was when impact first went to two hours, from October 2007 to feb 2008 was a great balance of in ring, storylines,promos, and entertainment.

I'm hoping tna right now is. Just going threw growing pains and eventually straighten their shit out.

·
A Lord of Cinder
1,411 Posts
MY theory:

They ignored the organic and natural progression of talent. What got me into TNA back in 2004 - 2006 was the fact that they brought in ROH guys. Aries, Joe, Daniels, and even former WCW guys like AJ styles. I thought that it was fitting that Jarrett, sting and a few older guys were the torch bearers. I expect, especially after seeing the amazing matches and fan reactions that Joe, Daniel, and AJ were the future of the company.

I stopped watching TNA in late 2005, early 2006. Why? I became too poor to afford internet and cable. Most of my wrestling stuff came ironically from this forum when I could visit it.

Then I come back to watching wrestling on tv some time later and when I check out TNA...its all former WWE stars. Where are the guys that were the natural next in liners? Still in the exact same place they were years before. THAT is why TNA is where it is now.

Wrestling is VERY organic.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
MY theory:

They ignored the organic and natural progression of talent. What got me into TNA back in 2004 - 2006 was the fact that they brought in ROH guys. Aries, Joe, Daniels, and even former WCW guys like AJ styles. I thought that it was fitting that Jarrett, sting and a few older guys were the torch bearers. I expect, especially after seeing the amazing matches and fan reactions that Joe, Daniel, and AJ were the future of the company.

I stopped watching TNA in late 2005, early 2006. Why? I became too poor to afford internet and cable. Most of my wrestling stuff came ironically from this forum when I could visit it.

Then I come back to watching wrestling on tv some time later and when I check out TNA...its all former WWE stars. Where are the guys that were the natural next in liners? Still in the exact same place they were years before. THAT is why TNA is where it is now.

Wrestling is VERY organic.
How many WWE guys are really on top of TNA?

Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle and Sting (Who was a WCW guy only) you then have Hogan who I will give you as well so that's 5.

Main Eventers who never had legitimate runs in WWE include AJ Styles, Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, Chris Sabin (Kinda), James Storm, Magnus and Samoa Joe. That's 7.

I could understand the "Filled with WWE guys" back in 2010 or whatever but these days there is hardly any WWE guys dominating the main events.

·
Registered
734 Posts
You answered your own question. You were a kid. Everything was exciting to you back then. Now that you are older you notice mistakes. Lets not act they there was no problems back then cause there was. Also a little while ago on the TNA podcast they interviewed little kids about TNA and they sound the same as you sounded when you were younger.

·
Registered
904 Posts
What's with all the "TNA used to be good but not anymore" threads all the sudden?

·
Registered
734 Posts
How many WWE guys are really on top of TNA?

Bully Ray, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle and Sting (Who was a WCW guy only) you then have Hogan who I will give you as well so that's 5.

Main Eventers who never had legitimate runs in WWE include AJ Styles, Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, Chris Sabin (Kinda), James Storm, Magnus and Samoa Joe. That's 7.

I could understand the "Filled with WWE guys" back in 2010 or whatever but these days there is hardly any WWE guys dominating the main events.
Exactly most top guys are now TNA only associated wrestlers. Also most of the show from main event scene to mid card are filled with TNA guys.

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
Exactly most top guys are now TNA only associated wrestlers. Also most of the show from main event scene to mid card are filled with TNA guys.
If you count guys who were in WWE and appeared as more than enhancement talent you only have:

Bully, Chavo, Ethan (And that's REALLY pushing it), Jay Bradley (Again, Pushing it), Hulk Hogan (And he isn't wrestling), Jeff Hardy, Knux and Kurt Angle.

For a company that has about 40 active wrestlers having 8 from WWE is actually probably much too low to be honest. Throw in Sting and that's only 9 guys from WWE/WCW

1 - 20 of 37 Posts