Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Great One?..
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
83 fucking weeks WCW ruled the ratings, what happened on that 84th week of Raw/Nitro that made people turn back to Raw and ditch Nitro after 83 fucking weeks?

I'm guessing Austin returned on that night and Goldberg/NWO did not show up on Nitro?

·
Banned
407 Posts
Re: What happend on the RAW, WWE finally beat WCW?

I think it was the RAW after WM14 when Austin won the title. The people were tired of the nWo angle and WWE announced a Austin vs. McMahon confrontation in the main event.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Austin vs Vince match, drew a record 6.0 for the segment at that time. From there, it was back and forth until Rock got the belt and Nitro never won another week.

·
Great One?..
10,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Austin vs Vince match, drew a record 6.0 for the segment at that time. From there, it was back and forth until Rock got the belt and Nitro never won another week.
Really? So people that didn't even tune in for their feud/promos (when WCW was on top) decided to tune in just for the match that one night? seems messed tbh.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
Rated R™;11553547 said:
Really? So people that didn't even tune in for their feud/promos (when WCW was on top) decided to tune in just for the match that one night? seems messed tbh.
Since the Tyson angle, the WWF fanbase grew. So people watched their segments, the fanbase was just not as big as the nWo/WCW with all the huge star power they had. Austin/Vince match on TV was a big enough attraction to win the night and they were smart enough to not give it away for free, they just did it to draw a huge rating and start the Foley/Austin program.

·
Banned
990 Posts
I was wondering how you were going to work the Rock into that post.

You did not disappointed, only you can find a way to credit Rock for something he had no control over.

·
You spent too much time looking at my avatar and s
7,825 Posts
It was progressive. It wasn't like one night raw got a 2 and the next it got a 6.. It was just chipping away and chipping away at WCW until the tide permanently switched.

I remember myself the thing that got my attention was the famous Tony Schivone announcement Bischoff told him to say: "Fans, if you're even thinking about changing the channel to our competition, do not. We understand that Mick Foley, who wrestled here at one time as Cactus Jack, is gonna win their World title. Ha! That's gonna put some butts in the seats"

I switched, was hooked and never looked back to WCW.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
It was progressive. It wasn't like one night raw got a 2 and the next it got a 6.. It was just chipping away and chipping away at WCW until the tide permanently switched.

I remember myself the thing that got my attention was the famous Tony Schivone announcement Bischoff told him to say: "Fans, if you're even thinking about changing the channel to our competition, do not. We understand that Mick Foley, who wrestled here at one time as Cactus Jack, is gonna win their World title. Ha! That's gonna put some butts in the seats"

The funny thing about this is WWE made it seem like the only reason RAW won that night is because of Schiavone, when in fact, it was a regular thing for both shows to get a significant amount of viewers from the other show when they had an attractive main event that people wanted to see. And above all else, Nitro actually won the overrun that night for the Nash/Hogan match and the Goldberg/nWo beatdown. So that's another typical rewriting history BS from WWE.

·
Registered
306 Posts

You got it all wrong. What the OP's talking about happened in April 1998. What you're talking about happened in January 1999. So...

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
Austin/McMahon. The match booked hot on the heels of Austin's coronation at Wrestlemania XIV is what started to decisively turn the tide, that very night.

·
Registered
102 Posts
WCW had always sucked before those 80 weeks. The WWF was more cartoony and entertaining. Turner Broadcasting System, owned by Ted Turned, bought WCW, trying to copy Vince, but failed miserably.

So, Bischoff bought it from Turner. Then Bischoff begs Ted Turner to give WCW a Monday night prime time spot on TBS. Bischoff then, using Ted's money, proceeds to buy off WWF wrestlers and have them wrestle at WCW. (Everything Bischoff did was done out of Turner's pocket)

WWF then dropped their "cartoony, funny" gimmick and began to focus more on the wrestling aspect, debuting wrestlers such as Michaels and HHH. Meanwhile, WCW took the cartoony role and, with former WWF stars, people began tuning in for the entertainment aspect.

They finally beat WWF in ratings when Hulk Hogan went to WCW and formed the NWO. The NWO was a bunch of former WWF wrestlers who came to "invade" WCW and take over.

How did WCW die? Several reasons.

-They weren't run by wrestlers. WWF was.
-They had no idea where they were going with their product. WWF had just entered a new era with people like Michaels, HHH, Austin, Rock, and has a clear future.
-They were pushing old guys like Hogan, and wouldn't focus on young talent. WWF had fresh talent.
-They were trying to compete with Vince by ignoring fans and doing their own thing
-NWO got old.
-WWF went into the Attitude Era. The fans were loving it, and lots of younger talent went to WWF, which was pushing younger talent.
-When WWF started drawing more ratings, instead of switching to a new style of wrestling, Bischoff tried to copy WWF...again. That failed.

Most importantly, TBS was bought by Time Warner in 1996. They quit giving WCW airtime and funds. No one else wanted to buy it. So, Vince kind of just picked up the scraps.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts

When people say that Austin/McMahon were the definition of that Era, this is why. This episode of Raw is probably one of my favorite of all time.

also...dat blue WWF Attitude Era Championship Belt.
Damm WWF was hot back then, everything about it was just right on cue. That clip sums the attitude era up, the crowd, the performance, everything.

And some people still have the gaul to slag off Russo? Its thanks to him and McMahan that we got that whole period and moments like in that video.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Good Ol JR;11553699[B said:
]WCW had always sucked before those 80 weeks.[/B] The WWF was more cartoony and entertaining. Turner Broadcasting System, owned by Ted Turned, bought WCW, trying to copy Vince, but failed miserably.

So, Bischoff bought it from Turner. Then Bischoff begs Ted Turner to give WCW a Monday night prime time spot on TBS. Bischoff then, using Ted's money, proceeds to buy off WWF wrestlers and have them wrestle at WCW. (Everything Bischoff did was done out of Turner's pocket)

WWF then dropped their "cartoony, funny" gimmick and began to focus more on the wrestling aspect, debuting wrestlers such as Michaels and HHH. Meanwhile, WCW took the cartoony role and, with former WWF stars, people began tuning in for the entertainment aspect.

They finally beat WWF in ratings when Hulk Hogan went to WCW and formed the NWO. The NWO was a bunch of former WWF wrestlers who came to "invade" WCW and take over.

How did WCW die? Several reasons.

-They weren't run by wrestlers. WWF was.
-They had no idea where they were going with their product. WWF had just entered a new era with people like Michaels, HHH, Austin, Rock, and has a clear future.
-They were pushing old guys like Hogan, and wouldn't focus on young talent. WWF had fresh talent.
-They were trying to compete with Vince by ignoring fans and doing their own thing
-NWO got old.
-WWF went into the Attitude Era. The fans were loving it, and lots of younger talent went to WWF, which was pushing younger talent.
-When WWF started drawing more ratings, instead of switching to a new style of wrestling, Bischoff tried to copy WWF...again. That failed.

Most importantly, TBS was bought by Time Warner in 1996. They quit giving WCW airtime and funds. No one else wanted to buy it. So, Vince kind of just picked up the scraps.
Could your post make you sound anymore of a WWE/F mark/fanboy if you tried?

Complete nonsense, WCW was far better than Raw for long periods of that time, the NWO angle and the freshness of the Nitro product was kicking Raws ass for good reason.

It was only in the months leading up to WWF starting to beat nitro in the ratings that Raw became the better show, thanks to Austin and McMahan.

I'm afraid you WWF/W fanboyism is clouding your judgement/memory.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Jesus, what happened in September 99?

8/23/1999 - 5.9 (Day after SummerSlam / Triple H wins WWF Title)
8/30/1999 - 4.2
9/06/1999 - 4.4
9/13/1999 - 6.0

Can't recall what happened during those two shows.

Funny you should ask, this happened,

That happened on SmackDown, which aired on 9/16.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts