Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing as how the WWE signed Tyler Black and Bryan Danielson and gave them new names(Bryan Danielson sort of), why didn't they bother changing Punks? I know they change names with the idea that they want to "own" the name but does that now mean that if Punk wants to leave the E he still has rights to it? Or maybe they allowed him to use it just as long as he gives over full rights to the name?

You know it sorta bugs me that the WWE feels the need to have to change everyone no matter who comes in or how established you are. I get that its a business but at times that can really ruin the wrestlers persona they already had going for them in the indies. I mean imagine if Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli wanted to sign would the WWE make them change their name too? It would completely ruin them(well not so much Claudio but definitely Chris Hero).

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
One of the few genuises in wrestling is the reason: Paul Heyman.

He was booking OVW when Punk came in and let him keep his name and I think even his entrance theme from the indys.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Probably because Punk was massive in the indie scene. If they repackaged him under a new name, then he left / was fired and went to TNA (glorified indie), he'd probably be better off using the name CM Punk anyway.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering this, nice thread. Punk actually appeared in the E as early as late '05 on Heat against Val Venis. I think that was his tryout.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably because Punk was massive in the indie scene. If they repackaged him under a new name, then he left / was fired and went to TNA (glorified indie), he'd probably be better off using the name CM Punk anyway.
Im sure thats why some guys want to stay in the indies. They probably want to establish themselves as much as they can outside of the WWE so when the time comes to crossover the WWE would almost have to be idiots to change their persona and everything thats made them them for the last however many years. I wonder if someone like Mistico were to join would they change his name too?

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Im sure thats why some guys want to stay in the indies. They probably want to establish themselves as much as they can outside of the WWE so when the time comes to crossover the WWE would almost have to be idiots to change their persona and everything thats made them them for the last however many years. I wonder if someone like Mistico were to join would they change his name too?
That's an interesting question, his name's a big draw but then, surely Dos Caras Jr would have been too. They did completely change the gimmick, though.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's an interesting question, his name's a big draw but then, surely Dos Caras Jr would have been too. They did completely change the gimmick, though.
Maybe they just didn't wanna go the Luchador route? Or maybe they just wanted to take one huge risk and try something new to get him over? If Alberto Del Rio fails they can always bring him back as Dos Caras seeing as he'd have to wear a mask. The audience probably wouldn't even notice its the same guy.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Maybe they just didn't wanna go the Luchador route? Or maybe they just wanted to take one huge risk and try something new to get him over? If Alberto Del Rio fails they can always bring him back as Dos Caras seeing as he'd have to wear a mask. The audience probably wouldn't even notice its the same guy.
I'm assuming his look was just too good for them to pass up. It makes you wonder though, would they debut Mistico, to use that example, without a mask? It seems crazy to think about, but then, I felt the same with Dos Caras. I guess you just expect what you know.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm assuming his look was just too good for them to pass up. It makes you wonder though, would they debut Mistico, to use that example, without a mask? It seems crazy to think about, but then, I felt the same with Dos Caras. I guess you just expect what you know.
Well if they did bring Mistico in it would be a huge test to see just how big Vinces ego is. You know I really don't know if they would actually change him. I've never seen Mistico without his mask or heard his mic skills in english so i can't really say. Mistico is only 5'7 though so taking his whole superhero luchador look away would be pretty much a career killer seeing as guys his size without some larger than life look/persona usually never get far. And I mean the name MISTICO already sounds like a spectacle that could easily draw money.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
reason: Paul Heyman.

He was booking OVW when Punk came in and let him keep his name and I think even his entrance theme from the indys.
This.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Well if they did bring Mistico in it would be a huge test to see just how big Vinces ego is. You know I really don't know if they would actually change him. I've never seen Mistico without his mask or heard his mic skills in english so i can't really say. Mistico is only 5'7 though so taking his whole superhero luchador look away would be pretty much a career killer seeing as guys his size without some larger than life look/persona usually never get far. And I mean the name MISTICO already sounds like a spectacle that could easily draw money.
Yeah, and it would be foolish to say Dos Caras was at the same career position as Mistico now. I'd imagine he wouldn't be brought in, and certainly not as a masked luchador, while Mysterio remains on the roster full time. Even a mentoring angle as Rey steps could be interesting, though.

·
Banned
3,555 Posts
As long as Rey Mysterio is in the WWE, no man is coming in with a mask. No way in hell a 5'7 mexican with a superhero luchador gimmick. Vince McMahon has it set up so Mysterio stand out. Punk was given a mask in an ironic twist to the feud and we knew CM Punk and what he was all about. Other than that Mysterio will be the only guy with a mask.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As long as Rey Mysterio is in the WWE, no man is coming in with a mask. No way in hell a 5'7 mexican with a superhero luchador gimmick. Vince McMahon has it set up so Mysterio stand out. Punk was given a mask in an ironic twist to the feud and we knew CM Punk and what he was all about. Other than that Mysterio will be the only guy with a mask.
I never said they SHOULD bring in Mistico I was just using him as an example since hes probably the biggest draw outside of mainstream wrestling who's never stepped foot in a WWE ring.

And cmon if Vince wanted another Luchador gimmick that would bring in the Mexican demographic he'd do it. From what I heard the WWE had already actually tried to bring him in but his stuff with CMLL made it too complicated.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
rumour has it that its because of Michael Hayes and Heyman backing him up that CM has gotten anywhere past Shawn and Trips

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Assumming Mistico arrived while Mysterio is still around,I expect he would wear a Jushin Liger type mask/costume combination.
You know they probably wouldn't even change his look. I think the fact that Mysterio and Mistico look somewhat alike would make their feud even more interesting. Hell even their name sounds similar MIS-tic-O, MYS-teri-O.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts