Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is a tough one for me because I hear different vibes in regards to things here, although do bare in mind charisma isn't just down to mic skills (which I know is sometimes a misconception) ... I absolutely love Paige, though I will be honest in regards to how you do hear that sometimes she's gets little reaction ... or should I say, she doesn't get immense pops, yet at the same time you hear people talking about how great her promo was (pre recorded of course) and reacting on this quite highly and you also hear about how praised she was down at NXT by the crowd and the people behind the scene's there.

Of course, NXT and the main roster are two completely different things, when she came onto the roster they never gave her no introduction and to most of the crowd they had no clue who she was, where as now that's obviously not the case, they are different audiences but I do feel that sometimes Paige is either discredited or maybe a dark horse really in regards to her whole charisma thing we often hear, but as I said in my opening paragraph here, it is fair to say that she hasn't been getting huge pops lately due to her lack of charisma (as some people feel) ... or is this due to a disinterest in the angles recently also considering that neither has AJ and we know she's very capable of it.

Please think about this from a neutral point of view, as opposed to if you're a fan or not of her, just in general really.

I was just thinking about this and thought it would be interesting to get some vibes from you guys :)

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
Re: How charismatic do you think Paige is as opposed to disinterest in the angle late

Her opening pop when he debuted was awesome, I feel that they have opened her up to the weaknesses she holds, obviously her mic skills are top notch and she isn't a charismatic star, but shes definitely got enough to her name to be a star. The fact shes stunning is enough, but her wrestling skills are awesome, she needs those anti-diva vibes to make her awesome.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Re: How charismatic do you think Paige is as opposed to disinterest in the angle late

She actually surprised me on commentary the other day. She's quick-witted and I love her voice.

She definitely has charisma, because there is something about her that's likable.

Obviously, she's no AJ Lee in the mic skills or charisma department, but she'll definitely be a big star in the Divas division.

·
Standing with The Man
6,084 Posts

She has it and anyone who knows her past work knows she has it but for whatever reason it's not translating on the main roster yet, people on here will tell us that her past doesn't matter and it's all about what she does on main roster but I disagree as it proves she has it within herself to do it, is she being held back by creative not writing to her strengths? This is a possibility but once she finds her way or the writers find the gimmick we should see the real Saraya Jade Bevis come out and the Paige character she's been given will start to garner these reactions she's been lacking so far. I also think she is fine on the mic a lot better then people think but her accent is so typical of her home and not this fake British accent american's are so used too that her talking sounds awkward to them.

A couple of videos to show examples of her charisma,

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Her opening pop when he debuted was awesome, I feel that they have opened her up to the weaknesses she holds, obviously her mic skills are top notch and she isn't a charismatic star, but shes definitely got enough to her name to be a star. The fact shes stunning is enough, but her wrestling skills are awesome, she needs those anti-diva vibes to make her awesome.
Yeah, it did get me thinking because to be honest, when you think about it, Paige has come on to the main roster and hasn't proved herself to people who are/were doubting her simply because she's not really been there for a while yet ... but I have already heard various vibes from both sides in regards to her not getting a reaction and people not caring about her etc... which I don't fully buy to be honest ... but it is of course people's opinions which they're completely entitled to ... however although her reactions, admittedly haven't been anything big ... thinking about it, neither has any other diva either at the moment .. including AJ who's been anticipated back a while too ... and that didn't last long either in regards to things, other than the initial pop ... which makes me wonder how much of this is actually reflected on the talents themselves or the fact people are disinterested in the storyline's that have been going down here lately ... because AJ has already proved that she can be quite charismatic ... which Paige, has yet to be proven to many people ... yet it's in the middle of this angle where no one is getting anything, and this is pretty much the only thing Paige has been involved in with the difference of a character change for her ... that's it.

She actually surprised me on commentary the other day. She's quick-witted and I love her voice.

She definitely has charisma, because there is something about her that's likable.

Obviously, she's no AJ Lee in the mic skills or charisma department, but she'll definitely be a big star in the Divas division.
Ah, that's us British for ya haha :D .... but yeah, I agree with ya in regards to things here, I just know she does often get debated on in regards to these side of things from a few people here ... so it did get me thinking.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

She has it and anyone who knows her past work knows she has it but for whatever reason it's not translating on the main roster yet, people on here will tell us that her past doesn't matter and it's all about what she does on main roster but I disagree as it proves she has it within herself to do it, is she being held back by creative not writing to her strengths? This is a possibility but once she finds her way or the writers find the gimmick we should see the real Saraya Jade Bevis come out and the Paige character she's been given will start to garner these reactions she's been lacking so far. I also think she is fine on the mic a lot better then people think but her accent is so typical of her home and not this fake British accent american's are so used too that her talking sounds awkward to them.

A couple of videos to show examples of her charisma,
Yeah, this is why I mentioned about the whole NXT thing ... because you heard about this there (admittedly I didn't really see much of it so can't comment too much) ... but I did hear about it quite a lot, so it's evident that something was there ... but coming onto the main roster, no one really knows this unless they watch NXT ... which not many do really as opposed to the attraction the main roster brings in, so I can understand them all being a little confused seeing this girl they have no idea who she is taking the title ... however that said, she did get a big pop there when she did this, but this could also be down to the fact that such a surprise angle kicked in too ... so it's hard to gauge on that alone.

There is no doubt in my mind that she has this also, I have seen video's since of her on Youtube and allsorts from over here ... and also when she was in Florida with her mum ... there is a little interview on Youtube of them both together which you may have seen (they talk about The Beatles in this) ... but I do feel that Paige, because she is new to so many people, the whole thing about her charisma is reflected from an angle it seems no one seems to be invested in and no one else around this is getting any reactions either, including AJ who is a very popular diva and absolutely has charisma within her as it's already been seen and proven, and AJ was consistent also with this.

However now, things just seem very 'meh' in regards to all this and it's kinda reflecting on Paige I think here with people still wanting to see her impress them along these lines.

·
The Fresh Prince Is Back On His Throne!
11,553 Posts

She certainly has the potential to become a big diva and she showed that in NXT but it just isn't translating to the main roster. Perhaps it's because NXT fans are all marks whereas fans at RAW and smackdown are largely kids.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

Paige getting some great heel heat throughout this entire match last weekend at a boston house show. Why isn't this translating to tv on RaW? Don't know, but maybe she's too micromanaged on Tv and they should just let her do her thing like she does at house shows, and being in longer matches helps.

And a good reason why her heat isn't as strong as it should be is that she hasn't really been booked to get any. Go back and watch all the Paige and AJ segments throughout this entire feud. She's done two things to garner heat and that was the initial heel turn, and pushing AJ off the stage. The "frenemies" bit and the lazy way its feud has been written with the two commentating each other's matches or distracting the other during a match halted any momentum she had as a heel. Other than those two examples, she hasn't really done much to get the crowd to hate her. Main Event on Tuesday was the first time she cheated to win, I think.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Paige getting some great heel heat throughout this entire match last weekend at a boston house show. Why isn't this translating to tv on RaW? Don't know, but maybe she's too micromanaged on Tv and they should just let her do her thing like she does at house shows, and being in longer matches helps.

And a good reason why her heat isn't as strong as it should be is that she hasn't really been booked to get any. Go back and watch all the Paige and AJ segments throughout this entire feud. She's done two things to garner heat and that was the initial heel turn, and pushing AJ off the stage. The "frenemies" bit and the lazy way its feud has been written with the two commentating each other's matches or distracting the other during a match halted any momentum she had as a heel. Other than those two examples, she hasn't really done much to get the crowd to hate her. Main Event on Tuesday was the first time she cheated to win, I think.
Yeah, you bring up some really great points there.

The house shows they talent are given the freedom, that's why so many people say they enjoy house shows than the TV shows ... because the talent have so much freedom there to do these things, I've only been to two house shows so I can't compare the experience however I can say that all the talent at the house shows really excelled and showed so much more charisma than what we see on TV ... the stand out one's were Curtis Axel (who had a ton of charisma and got massive reactions to the point where the boo's were over his music, that was loud in the arena) ... and also Alberto Del Rio ... he was taunting the crowds much more and going into the audience having them rub his back where he'd been 'hurt' in the match ... it made me smile seeing it and I just thought ... why can't he do this on TV ... truth is, they are restricted and they are concentrating so hard on getting things right that it takes them away from doing all this as well as any creative freedom.

That's the problem with the script work in today's WWE ... and also the fact that if a talent, specially a new or mid card talent messes up ... well they aren't going to be on TV for long ... and that pressure is there, making it worse to be honest.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts

If she starts taking acting lesson, it would be great. Acting isn't something you can forget. It's actually one of the most important thing in wrestling. If you can't act like you are angry when you need to, it'll be a big problem

·
Standing with The Man
6,084 Posts

If she starts taking acting lesson, it would be great. Acting isn't something you can forget. It's actually one of the most important thing in wrestling. If you can't act like you are angry when you need to, it'll be a big problem
Acting is irrelevant to this topic, you can't act charismatic you either have it or you don't charisma just makes you a better actor but being a good actor doesn't make you charismatic.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

I find it funny how people like to pick apart Paige's wwe career (probably more than anyone I've seen before), and act like she's performed to "crickets" the entire time and that no one cares about her. For the division as a whole, the WWE crowd typically dont get hot for divas matches because that's the way they've been conditioned in this era and the story lines are rarely interesting. Obviously there are exceptions, but they see two women in the ring before a PPV main event they know that's their cue to take a piss and hit up the merch stand one last time before the main event starts. Summerslam to me was the most important match in her main roster run so far and the crowd sure made noise for it. I'm more concerned about reactions during big matches like that than some meaningless match on RAW where the crowds can barely make much noise for a lot of the men anyway.

Given the circumstances of how she's been booked and how they foolishly debuted her as the top diva (while AJ was away) when probably 15% of the audience knew who she was before hand, I'd say she's not doing too bad. And I usually see many Paige signs in the crowd and would say she's right behind AJ in that department.

She has charisma, WWE just needs to take advantage of this new gimmick and actually give her interesting shit to do and give the crowd a reason to hate her. A prolonged assault on AJ during the next RAW would be a good start, and then go from there. Have her cut more promos, even if its pretaped backstage promos. It's kind of hard to get "over" based on charisma alone, when the first half of your WWE run consisted of meaningless matches where you get your ass kicked for a few minutes before hitting your finisher for the win, while having no storyline, no time to interact with the audience, and no establishing character.

Also I'd say she's probably still learning to work within the confines of WWE's strict scripts, trying to find something she can do within that. Which is something that's still new to her. I assume even NxT is nowhere near as micromanaged as RAW. We're all well aware of how bad the post-Mania WWE has been from a creative standpoint, from the divas story lines, mid-card, to the main event.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts

Acting is irrelevant to this topic, you can't act charismatic you either have it or you don't charisma just makes you a better actor but being a good actor doesn't make you charismatic.
Yes you can. Acting lessons can make you more charismatic. It helps you show off your charisma. Just look at Rocky Maivia and The Rock...

But yeah I'm sorry I shouldn't find flaws to your chav godess please don't punish me

·
Standing with The Man
6,084 Posts

Yes you can. Acting lessons can make you more charismatic. It helps you show off your charisma. Just look at Rocky Maivia and The Rock...

But yeah I'm sorry I shouldn't find flaws to your chav godess please don't punish me
No acting can enhance your natural charisma not make you charismatic, this topic posed the question of Paige having charisma by your reasoning here you admit she has some to enhance with acting lessons? Acting angry/sad/happy had nothing to do with this discussion it's about her being able to connect with people through her natural charisma, you mention The Rock when he is a prime example of a charismatic person who connected with an audience then used that to get into acting you can't take lessons to be like a character like The Rock you just are that character.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

When paige does her in ring promos from now on.
She would benefit greatly from talking in a very hostile/angry tone. And be very confrontational with
the crowd.

Maybe go outside the ring and climb-up on the ring barrier and get in the audiences faces
and just verbally lash out. It would make them feel like shes bringing them into it. That kind of interactivity i feel would generate
a lot of crowd heat.

Both parties i feel would eat it up. Paige would just have a total blast/fun.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Never found her very charismatic or even good in the ring, I think it's just one of those things that gets parroted a lot so everybody just goes along with it, don't see her appeal at all.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

I agree with the assault. Like ive said before. Maybe have her assult aj in the ring side area.
Aj comes back for a little bit. But paige regains control and then they continue into
the backstage area.

And with all that shit laying around back there. It would give paige
a sinister toy box off weaponized goodies at her disposal.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts

charisma- " a charm about someone that causes many t be devoted to that person" By this definition Paige may be the most charismatic diva in the division. Anyone to suggest otherwise is being foolish. Paige wins every poll on wwe.com, wrestling forum and just about every other site In looks and likability. AJ and Paige are the two most charismatic divas in the wwe right now and if given something better to work with can do great things as has been expected. I hope the wwe takes it up a notch with these two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts