Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
People actually started liking him after his match against undertaker. He didnt won but he beat the crap out of taker and ppl started noticing. Later he was getting massive cheers as heel. Vince had actually hand picked batista to fill the void left by lesnar

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
No such thing as midcard for life.

Underlying talent and how over you are matters way more. Daniel Bryan was hugging it out with Kane, a year later he headlined WM. Then there's Cena, as op said.

The purpose of a gimmick is to get you over, build a connection with the audience. Once you're over, it can be toned down or adapted to fit the main event scene.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Had Cena stayed with that gimmick he would have stayed in the midcard. Wrestlers are like Pokemon, the need to evolve or else they will stay stagnant. This is why you always hear wrestlers talk about having to "reinvent themselves" over the course of their careers.

Some gimmicks have a ceiling or a certain amount shelf life, that's not to say the performer behind the gimmick can't break away from that and become successful, Cena obviously did. Some performers have more upside than the gimmicks they're given(Dolph was a male cheerleader and a Caddy, Austin as the freakin' ringmaster), sometimes the gimmick is the only thing keeping the performer's career alive (cases like Santino and Zack Ryder). It could be a 50/50 case of helping/hindering the perfomer.

I never once heard anyone say Ambrose has a midcard gimmick, and I would absolutely have to disagree with that statement. Dean has a very believable gimmick, and will be even more believable when he turns heel and gets Bryan Pillman-esqe types of crazy. I've always believed that the most believable gimmicks are the ones that are the closest to the actual performers real life personality, and some of the all time greats in wrestling subscribe to this sentiment. Austin says you should be yourself with the dial turned up to 10.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
The Ringmaster and Rocky Maivia were shitty gimmicks as well. People have to make their own breaks in WWE(like the pipe bomb or coming up with the YES chant), and even then there's no guarantee Vince will push the people getting over.

60,001 Posts
The Ringmaster and Rocky Maivia were shitty gimmicks as well. People have to make their own breaks in WWE(like the pipe bomb or coming up with the YES chant), and even then there's no guarantee Vince will push the people getting over.
:clap You hit the nail on the head here. The man makes the gimmick and can, sometimes, transcend it.

·
Banned
1,831 Posts
Had Cena stayed with that gimmick he would have stayed in the midcard. Wrestlers are like Pokemon, the need to evolve or else they will stay stagnant. This is why you always hear wrestlers talk about having to "reinvent themselves" over the course of their careers.

Some gimmicks have a ceiling or a certain amount shelf life, that's not to say the performer behind the gimmick can't break away from that and become successful, Cena obviously did. Some performers have more upside than the gimmicks they're given(Dolph was a male cheerleader and a Caddy, Austin as the freakin' ringmaster), sometimes the gimmick is the only thing keeping the performer's career alive (cases like Santino and Zack Ryder). It could be a 50/50 case of helping/hindering the perfomer.

I never once heard anyone say Ambrose has a midcard gimmick, and I would absolutely have to disagree with that statement. Dean has a very believable gimmick, and will be even more believable when he turns heel and gets Bryan Pillman-esqe types of crazy. I've always believed that the most believable gimmicks are the ones that are the closest to the actual performers real life personality, and some of the all time greats in wrestling subscribe to this sentiment. Austin says you should be yourself with the dial turned up to 10.
Santino was a fantastic wrestler who enjoyed playing a comedy gimmick, he could have been more successful had he wanted to.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts