Wrestling Forum banner

How big of a star is Cena?

2088 Views 26 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  exile123
I've always known that Cena is almost the only household name of today's generation, but after this whole "5 million fans on Facebook" thing, it made me put it into perspective.

I mean people like Dwayne Wade and Shaq don't even compare. Even the Nike brand. He's up there with Lebron and Kobe, but then again that's FB.

Do you think Cena is in the top 5 of the most recognizable superstars of all time? I mean, we're talking Austin, Rock, and Hogan status here.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
8,175 Posts
Yes, he's definitely one of the most popular superstars in WWE history. I don't even think anyone in this era comes close.

There was some talk a few months ago that maybe Orton as popular as he is, or maybe even surpassed him. That's laughable, IMO.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
Let me put it this way.

Biggest wrestling star outside of wrestling; The Rock.
Wrestler who has done the most for the pro-fessional wrestling busniess; Hulk Hogan.
Most over wrestler ever; Stone Cold Steve Austin.

What's John Cena? The biggest star of the current era? Sure, he's a big deal, but he hasn't accomplished anything close to what Austin/Rock/Hulk have.

· Banned
311 Posts
John Cena is simply this. He's the top superstar of the current era. If you want to go into specifics, and I know I may sound a bit rigid, but the fact is that Cena is the least popular and "over with the fans" face of WWE. Compared to The Rock, Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan, he really is nothing.

· Registered
45 Posts
Big, but not big enough to be compared to Hogan or Austin.. Like the Rock said last Raw, John took the ball and he run with it but he didn't run that far.. He never took wrestling to a whole new place the way Hogan and Austin did.. Plus the 5 million fans in FB shouldn't be a scale to see how popular a celebrity is..

· Registered
1,810 Posts
He has sold a ton of merchandise, but I don't think he is as mainstream as The Rock, Hulk Hogan, or Austin. My own mother knows who Hogan and Rock are and she never watched wrestling.
You did (why would you be in WF if not) and have The Rock as your avy. So yeah,maybe she knows them because of you.

---

On topic: In here,those names (The Rock,Stone Cold,LeBron,Kobe,Jordan (yeah,Jordan) are praticly unknown). So fuck yeah,Cena is like the n#1 person people think about when the subject of wrestling comes up,even though most stopped watching in 08 when we lost Raw (Afterburn) and only had Experience.

· Registered
604 Posts
He's not that big. Understand the likes of Kobe etc in the sports business aren't known for twittering / facebooking. WWE has been pushing this nonsense to its viewers. And marketing on FACEBOOOK so people think they can really talk to the wrestlers.

· STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,101 Posts
I don't think he is just as big as Hogan/Rocky/Austin just yet. In a few years? Very possible but not quite yet.

· Registered
20,764 Posts
The Name & Face Of The WWE, He's the main guy who represents the company...

Pretty much this.

Even people I know who hate wrestling and have never watched it and constantly demean it as fake or homosexuals can recognize who John Cena is when they see him on a Gillette commercial. He isn't as recognizable to society as Hogan in the 80s or The Rock in the 90s but he's one of the top 5 most recognizable names in WWE history to mainstream American society because he is constantly on talk shows or hanging out with celebrities or doing interviews.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.