Wrestling Forum banner

Hot take: WWE stans should want AEW to succeed

2290 Views 42 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  Schwartzxz
So something that's been going on in the usual trash-talking of these companies if a lot of big-time WWE stans saying shit like, "AEW won't even get 1.0 in ratings." or 'They'll never compete with WWE." or whatever bollocks both constructive and non-constructive critique it's all whatever.

However looking at it from a wrestling fan's perspective here, I could argue that AEW succeeding would be what's best for business for WWE.

Now, I'm not saying it's guaranteed Vince is going to do another Attitude era style shake-up or anything of that sort. In fact, I highly doubt he would ever even consider such a thing with the amount of reliance he has on advertisers and now the Saudis who are hyper conservative individuals. So expecting something like, "WWE is going to go TV-14" yeah...no, sorry, that ain't happening anytime soon.

In fact, the likely outcome out here is that we could see both WWE and AEW co-exist with each other for a very long time, bot thriving in their own way. And this is great news for wrestling fans.

What was truly the best thing about the Monday Night Wars?

People are going to say, "Stone Cold, the Rock, Goldberg, Hogan, etc." but in reality the greatest thing from that era is being able to turn the channel to another network and see an entirely different take on the wrestling business that was just as dope as the other one. When one promotion was down, the other was doing something worth watching so fuck yeah let's see what's on Nitro tonight!

We haven't had something like this for about 20 years now. Not necessarily two programs airing side-by-side that are worth flipping back and forth from, but the fact that there's going to be two programs on national television on two channels that EVERYONE with cable has...that's a huge oh shit moment. Impact already had their chance at this and they fucking blew it with their shitty programming.

So if AEW let's say gets a 3.0, do you guys honestly believe fans won't tune into RAW the next Monday or Smackdown on Friday to find out if WWE has a response? If anything WWE's ratings will be higher, and their shitty booking practices builds sympathy for the entire WWE roster and putting more eyes on the performers and their future than ever before. The concept of a WWE guy showing up to AEw will be a hot topic EVERY TIME it happens, but if it's vice versa...yeah that guy is fucked.

TL;DR: Worst case scenario - Vince is forced to make changes after getting beat by his own game. Best case scenario - AEW will drum up enough interest in wrestling as a medium to make people want to watch WWE again to see what Jon Moxley meant when he said WWE creative sucks on AEW TV. Both are good results for WWE stans.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
4,468 Posts
Not really a hot take, everybody knows WWE would only try if it had some competition, so yeah we all want AEW to be successful.

Also, I doubt there are really many "WWE stants" out there, the people who watches it only do it because it's still the biggest wrestling company out there, I am pretty certain their whole fanbase would easily jump to another company if this had a bigger brand value.

WWE fans are loyal to their position, no to their product.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
I don't think AEW succeeding will make Vince change the WWE. This ain't the 90's and it ain't the same circumstances. The most I see WWE is what they've been doing...adding shit, offering people more money to stay etc. There's not gonna be another Attitude Era like change. WWE is what it is and we all just need to accept that and leave.

· Registered
37,549 Posts
Stans of both companies need to relax. You got WWE stans that swear it can't do well and only has wrestling Midge flipping. Then you have AEW stans that swear it's clearly the best place for talents, will put WWE out of business, and will set a new age of wrestling and yada yada.

Hopefully AEW does well because more easily accessible wrestling is great for us fans and the wrestlers. Regardless I don't think AEW having success will affect WWE. They'll just continue to be in their bubble they've created.

· Registered
1,968 Posts
Here’s my feeling on AEW. When their show goes on TV, I plan on watching and hopefully I will get into it and like it. However while anything is possible, I just can’t see myself going back to paying $50 for a PPV. So unless they have a streaming service that is close to WWE’s price, I won’t be getting any of their big shows.

· Premium Member
5,030 Posts
I want both to do well. While I don't mind competition, I've always thought collaboration would be a lot better for the fans.

· Asuka
^Take this off
123,116 Posts
So if AEW let's say gets a 3.0, do you guys honestly believe fans won't tune into RAW the next Monday or Smackdown on Friday to find out if WWE has a response? If anything WWE's ratings will be higher, and their shitty booking practices builds sympathy for the entire WWE roster and putting more eyes on the performers and their future than ever before. The concept of a WWE guy showing up to AEw will be a hot topic EVERY TIME it happens, but if it's vice versa...yeah that guy is fucked.
No, I don't think the ratings would go up to see what WWE said about it. People can find that out without watching a second of their shitshow. Besides, Double or Nothing did $100,000 buys and the ratings on Raw the next Monday still sucked. The whole reason AEW even exists is counter programming to WWE. If WWE was amazing, AEW would've never happened. Hell, the entire Indy boom of late is because people are looking for ways to get their wrestling that AREN'T from WWE, because they aren't getting it there. AEWs prime audience are going to be the fans who don't watch WWE anymore because Vince drove them off.

TL;DR: Worst case scenario - Vince is forced to make changes after getting beat by his own game. Best case scenario - AEW will drum up enough interest in wrestling as a medium to make people want to watch WWE again to see what Jon Moxley meant when he said WWE creative sucks on AEW TV. Both are good results for WWE stans.
Vince wouldn't even know HOW to make changes now. He's so far out of the loop that if another wrestling war actually happens, and AEW legitimately threatens WWE in the way WCW did, he's done. He doesn't have it in him anymore. I don't think AEW is going to threaten them, but on the off chance they do, Vince doesn't have a hope in hell. Whatever was left of the old Vince decades ago is gone.

· Registered
1,289 Posts
The biggest problem is that people look at everything as a zero sum game (when one can only succeed at the expense of the other), when if anything it's actually the opposite.
People who root for WWE to do poorly fail to realize that the successes and failures trickle down to the entire business. The better WWE does from a business perspective, the better the industry as a whole thrives.
On the flipside, too many people either seem to supporting AEW or rooting against AEW based solely on their hatred/ loyalty to WWE. But at the end of the day, AEW's success isn't going to have any real negative effect on the WWE.
WCW was an anomaly, because Ted Turner had a personal vendetta against Vince and wanted to drive him out of business, and was willing to throw shitloads of money down the drain to do so. Meanwhile, Tony Khan seems to be focusing purely on his company/ product, and doesn't seem to be worrying about WWE. Yes, guys like Cody and Jericho will take potshots just because they know shit like that gets over with their base, and you'll have guys like Moxley have their own personal grievances, but AEW will probably focus more on doing their own thing rather than trying to topple WWE.

· Premium Member
5,030 Posts
I actually that would work in theory better as it would be FRESH and not done before. However, Vince couldn't even collaborate with his OWN WCW and ECW working alongside HIS WWE.

Not happening.
And that's the sad thing. :(

Reactions: DesoloutionRow

· Ω Champion
4,256 Posts
I don't think AEW succeeding will make Vince change the WWE. This ain't the 90's and it ain't the same circumstances. The most I see WWE is what they've been doing...adding shit, offering people more money to stay etc. There's not gonna be another Attitude Era like change. WWE is what it is and we all just need to accept that and leave.
This. Just look at the RAW that he put out after Double or Nothing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.