Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hotter take, Becky should challenge Kay Lee Ray for the NXT UK Women's Title.

Why not start to transition some people like Candice, Tegan Nox, Dakota Kai, Belair, and Storm to the main roster as well.

·
The EST of NXT
28,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Honestly as much of a Rhea fan that I am, I can't say this is wrong. If this were Rhea vs. Sasha, who's shown to have tremendous chemistry with Rhea, I'd be all for it. But Charlotte? 2 taller woman who would have to sell for each other, with one of them still young in their career?

Eh, it might be a risky move. But then again, it's literally the only interesting option Charlotte has.
No one can tell me anything after Rhea gave Shayna her best match ever. I have faith in The Queen to carry her to something even greater.

Hotter take, Becky should challenge Kay Lee Ray for the NXT UK Women's Title.

Why not start to transition some people like Candice, Tegan Nox, Dakota Kai, Belair, and Storm to the main roster as well.
This hot take is ice cold, like KLR's title reign. She isn't half as present in everyone's minds as Rhea, who to this day is still riding off Survivor Series hype with main roster fans.

·
Registered
22,591 Posts
No one can tell me anything after Rhea gave Shayna her best match ever. I have faith in The Queen to carry her to something even greater.
All about circumstances. Rhea had been built like a monster and Shayna had been champion for over a year. Fans were desperate to see Shayna lose and they had a rabid Full Sail crowd behind them. And because they were the main attraction of that show, they had a very story driven match that mixed wrestling, shenanigans, and drama.

Charlotte vs. Rhea for all we know now would be more of an exhibition match. Even if Charlotte is better in the ring than Shanya, I don't know if that really matters here. How they build the match is.

·
The EST of NXT
28,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
All about circumstances. Rhea had been built like a monster and Shayna had been champion for over a year. Fans were desperate to see Shayna lose and they had a rabid Full Sail crowd behind them. And because they were the main attraction of that show, they had a very story driven match that mixed wrestling, shenanigans, and drama.

Charlotte vs. Rhea for all we know now would be more of an exhibition match. Even if Charlotte is better in the ring than Shanya, I don't know if that really matters here. How they build the match is.
This match is braindead easy to build.

* Charlotte owes Rhea a receipt for the sneaky roll-up on the SmackDown before Survivor Series

*Charlotte can want to take bragging rights from NXT after winning Survivor Series

*Charlotte can put over NXT as the overall strongest brand for women, and use that to justify her decision

*Charlotte can be as bored as we are with seeing her fight Becky and Bayley

There are so many reasons for her to do this, and all Rhea has to do is stand her ground and defend the top brand for women.

·
Registered
22,591 Posts
This match is braindead easy to build.

* Charlotte owes Rhea a receipt for the sneaky roll-up on the SmackDown before Survivor Series

*Charlotte can want to take bragging rights from NXT after winning Survivor Series

*Charlotte can put over NXT as the overall strongest brand for women, and use that to justify her decision

*Charlotte can be as bored as we are with seeing her fight Becky and Bayley

There are so many reasons for her to do this, and all Rhea has to do is stand her ground and defend the top brand for women.
WWE has been known to have an easy to tell story before and still manage to turn left instead of right and bungle it up. Also, there's the advantage of Full Sail and having a champion people want to see lose.

I'm not saying it can't work, I'm just saying I'm apprehensive.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I didn't think Charlotte would go for the NXT title but it makes sense that Charlotte would get Rhea and Becky gets Shayna. Shayna is already damaged. She's the bully who already got punched in the face, she's cooled off massively since Takeover Toronto (when her title match was the lesser women's match) and she's the "B" opponent. Rhea is the hot girl on the block.

Charlotte always gets the "A" opponent. Always.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,391 Posts
I said this on Twitter last night during Raw. Why not, right? Charlotte's only other options are Becky and Bayley, two women she's faced a thousand times.

Charlotte/Rhea is a fresh match between two women similar in size, and if Charlotte put her over, it'd be a huge star-making moment for Ripley. When it's Mania, I say you go with what's new and what's never been done.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Charlotte vs Rhea would be a great Wrestlemania match but it defeats the purpose of Charlotte winning the Rumble.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Well, it looks like they are actually doing this. Fucking aye. I'm down with this. It's a big boost for Rhea and NXT. I think this is probably the program Triple H will produce.

Honestly, I hope Rhea challenges Charlotte. "You've won every belt, but you've never beaten me." Bam. There's the seed planted in Charlotte's mind. Easy story to tell. Help them with promos, but don't overly script them. Make it about Rhea's need to prove herself and Charlotte's desire to be untouchable by anyone. Don't get over-complicated.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
WWE being really smart with their promotion of things lately. I made that prediction in the Unpopular Opinion thread, but it still kind of surprises me. You never really know until it happens, lol. And that's not to say WWE won't fuck it up.

But with the XFL launching, Vince is going to have to let go of stuff. If not, he would be the busiest he's ever been in his entire life. He's not going to do that to himself. He'll need to be available for Oliver Luck and for whoever else is involved in the XFL. This Heyman/Bischoff/Prichard stuff has been about getting people that know how to run a promotion (or in Prichard's case, a guy who knows Vince really well), and get them into position to run things with less Vince involvement in a way that Vince would approve of.

It's still going to be WWE, for better or worse, but it is going to leave room for a slightly different decision-making process. We're starting to see that on Raw with Heyman clearly trying to build babyfaces that aren't humiliated all the time.

And the XFL is going to bring with it a spotlight. Regardless of if it succeeds or fails, people are going to be writing about Vince McMahon and how the WWE is doing. They don't want the story to be "they depend on their TV rights deals." Lowering attendance, losing money on house shows, Network subscriptions and TV ratings are going to be more important to them going into the XFL season.

That's why they're actually fucking trying. And they afford to with the giant contracts in both monetary value and duration. And you can see they are busting their ass to set up stuff people are actually going to want to see at Mania.

Drew's been handled perfectly so far. And yeah, we're like two shows in, lol, but that's fucking rare for this company. And if Charlotte goes against Rhea and Shayna goes against Becky, then you've got two singles matches for two Women's Titles instead of a clusterfuck with multiple people where no one really gets to go over or look amazing.

It won't turn things around instantly, but with consistency and patience, we could see a really good year, in terms of both business and quality, for WWE, which feels weird to say.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
So, people are really getting behind Charlotte V Rhea Ripley at Wrestlemania?! I really don't understand that.

The last thing I want to see is Rhea losing her championship at Mania, and after last year, I really do believe that Charlotte will be absolutely stamping her feet for a Mania victory. This might be a good thing to elevate Rhea and bring the NXT title to the biggest show ... but if she then loses to a main roster wrestler on her first attempt, that just buries the entire NXT division.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
So, people are really getting behind Charlotte V Rhea Ripley at Wrestlemania?! I really don't understand that.

The last thing I want to see is Rhea losing her championship at Mania, and after last year, I really do believe that Charlotte will be absolutely stamping her feet for a Mania victory. This might be a good thing to elevate Rhea and bring the NXT title to the biggest show ... but if she then loses to a main roster wrestler on her first attempt, that just buries the entire NXT division.
Lol, just because Vince and WWE are obsessed with giving her title victories doesn't mean Charlotte herself is a belt mark. She does what she's told. They want to build around her, but she's a worthy choice to build around. She looks like a star, carries herself like a star and can work in and out of the ring.

I doubt Charlotte is going to sabotage the WWE product because she wants to be the NXT Women's Champion for some reason. Nor is she probably particularly preoccupied with working Wednesdays away from her future hubby.

If this match happens, it's because WWE see real star potential in Rhea Ripley, like just about everyone from Bryan Alvarez to Jim Cornette have also seen. It will be built up like the undeniable top women's star in wrestling, and the unquenchable and perennial champion going against NXT's hottest prospect. Rhea will likely win in an "upset" and Charlotte will go back to being Charlotte.

If this match happens, Triple H will likely be producing it, given it involves two of his baby girls, and he's not going to bury his own brand at WrestleMania. You'll probably see his referee calling the match and everything in his power done to make Rhea look like a hero to little girls, and the villainous Charlotte being put in her place.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Lol, just because Vince and WWE are obsessed with giving her title victories doesn't mean Charlotte herself is a belt mark. She does what she's told. They want to build around her, but she's a worthy choice to build around. She looks like a star, carries herself like a star and can work in and out of the ring.

I doubt Charlotte is going to sabotage the WWE product because she wants to be the NXT Women's Champion for some reason. Nor is she probably particularly preoccupied with working Wednesdays away from her future hubby.

If this match happens, it's because WWE see real star potential in Rhea Ripley, like just about everyone from Bryan Alvarez to Jim Cornette have also seen. It will be built up like the undeniable top women's star in wrestling, and the unquenchable and perennial champion going against NXT's hottest prospect. Rhea will likely win in an "upset" and Charlotte will go back to being Charlotte.

If this match happens, Triple H will likely be producing it, given it involves two of his baby girls, and he's not going to bury his own brand at WrestleMania. You'll probably see his referee calling the match and everything in his power done to make Rhea look like a hero to little girls, and the villainous Charlotte being put in her place.
Hope you're right. Your booking of the match would be fine with me ...

[edit]

What I will say is that, while it's true that Charlotte has lost just as many matches as she's won, she has gone on record pretty recently, talking about how she loses all the time, and how it's a shame for her cos the people see her name as a stigma, and how the fans turn onher because she's always there, in the championship picture.

And weirdly, she makes these comments right around the time where her win/loss record starts looking QUITE different.

She hasn't lost a televised RAW match since december 2nd, has been squashing people like Chelsea Green and Sarah Logan, and just got her Royal Rumble win ... the night after which, she defeated Asuka.

I'm not saying there's definitely politics at play there, but ... that's quite the turn-around, right at the time she's talking about her loss record in interviews. :)

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Hope you're right. Your booking of the match would be fine with me ...

[edit]

What I will say is that, while it's true that Charlotte has lost just as many matches as she's won, she has gone on record pretty recently, talking about how she loses all the time, and how it's a shame for her cos the people see her name as a stigma, and how the fans turn onher because she's always there, in the championship picture.

And weirdly, she makes these comments right around the time where her win/loss record starts looking QUITE different.

She hasn't lost a televised RAW match since december 2nd, has been squashing people like Chelsea Green and Sarah Logan, and just got her Royal Rumble win ... the night after which, she defeated Asuka.

I'm not saying there's definitely politics at play there, but ... that's quite the turn-around, right at the time she's talking about her loss record in interviews. :)
I see what you're saying, but look at the flip-side:

A top star should be protected. If she were losing all the time when they are planning this huge angle with her, then it would just be bad booking. She should be beating Chelsea Green and Sarah Logan at this point. And if she feels she loses too much, then she's obviously not using whatever power she would have in this situation to change that booking, right? Because otherwise then she wouldn't lose too much, lol.

I think the biggest takeaway from that interview was that she doesn't feel natural playing the smiley babyface, and she'd rather be that dominant super-athlete gimmick, good or bad. And there's genuine merit in that point. I'm not sure what her contract looks like, but I doubt she's in a position where she's winning Royal Rumbles and she can walk out in the next couple of months, forcing the company to cater to her whims and fancies. I don't think WWE would need to bend over backwards to give Charlotte Hulk Hogan-like creative control.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts