Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Banned
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the several heart diseases meat brings, this isn't really surprising to me.

Here are the news lads & lasses...

A research division of the World Health Organization announced Monday that bacon, sausage and other processed meats cause cancer and that red meat probably does, too.

The report by the influential group stakes out one of the most aggressive stances against meat taken by a major health organization, and it is expected to face stiff criticism in the United States.

The WHO findings were drafted by a panel of 22 international experts who reviewed decades of research on the link between red meat, processed meats and cancer. The panel reviewed animal experiments, studies of human diet and health, and cell processes that could explain how red meat might cause cancer.

But the panel’s decision was not unanimous, and by raising lethal concerns about a food that anchors countless American meals, it will be controversial.

The $95 billion U.S. beef industry has been preparing for months to mount a response, and some scientists, including some unaffiliated with the meat industry, have questioned whether the evidence is substantial enough to draw the strong conclusions that the WHO panel did.

In reaching its conclusion, the panel sought to quantify the risks, and compared to carcinogens such as cigarettes, the magnitude of the danger appears small, experts said. The WHO panel cited studies suggesting that an additional 3.5 ounces of red meat everyday raises the risk of colorectal cancer by 17 percent; eating an additional 1.8 ounces of processed meat daily raises the risk by 18 percent, according to the research cited.

“For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed,” says Kurt Straif, an official with the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer, which produced the report. “In view of the large number of people who consume processed meat, the global impact on cancer incidence is of public health importance.”

About 34,000 cancer deaths a year worldwide are attributable to diets high in processed meats, according to figures cited by the panel.
Full article click here. (highly recommend reading all of it)

So I guess the muslims & jews had it right all along, eh? For all the people who enjoy eating carcasses on here, think again before you criticize those who smoke. ;)

· Registered
3,751 Posts
The fact that certain meats cause corruption to the body has been known in most ancient religions throughout history.

It is only today when people have been stupid enough to reject much of the knowledge that has been passed on from one generation to another, that they are actively causing themselves self-harm, mentally and physically.

Science will eventually make most of the findings that ancient religions already have, and prove much of what is written in those books as having been correct all along. Then one day, the people will treat our current scientific progress as we treat our ancient religions and eventually forget all about it.

· Banned
3,123 Posts
These scientists should be working on curing these diseases instead of wasting time trying to find out what causes them. Who are people going to listen to? Their tastebuds telling them that meat is delicious or some crusty old fossil in a suit at the UN? Exactly.

The fact that certain meats cause corruption to the body has been known in most ancient religions throughout history.

It is only today when people have been stupid enough to reject much of the knowledge that has been passed on from one generation to another, that they are actively causing themselves self-harm, mentally and physically.

Science will eventually make most of the findings that ancient religions already have, and prove much of what is written in those books as having been correct all along. Then one day, the people will treat our current scientific progress as we treat our ancient religions and eventually forget all about it.
Lol, what the fuck? If these ancient religions are so fucking clever why are they all different? Why does Hinduism forbid eating cow but Judaism and its offshoots - Islam and Christianity - don't? How can you rely on it for knowledge when so much of what's said in ancient religions is contradictory or proven BS? How do you know what's true and what isn't?

· Banned
945 Posts
Okay, so red meat increases risk of bowel cancer? Cool, I'll keep eating red meat and just drink more coffee as that apparently reduces risk of bowel cancer. The key is you can eat red meat, you just need to shit it out quickly, and that's where the coffee comes in.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
Lol, what the fuck? If these ancient religions are so fucking clever why are they all different? Why does Hinduism forbid eating cow but Judaism and its offshoots - Islam and Christianity - don't? How can you rely on it for knowledge when so much of what's said in ancient religions is contradictory or proven BS? How do you know what's true and what isn't?
They are not all different. Obviously people from around the world have come to different conclusions about certain subjects, as they have in current science. We have many theories that over-write each other and are currently beign contested, this doesn't mean that science as a whole is fundamentally wrong.

I don't really regard Islam and Christianity as "ancient" anyway, they have been influenced by ancient religions but have also been influenced by institutions which prefer to control people instead of liberating them, thus corrupting the original knowledge to suit their own purposes. There's not much to be learned from the Qu'ran or the Bible, expect the base rudimentary methods on how to conduct one's self without causing harm.

How you will know what is true and what isn't, is by applying the methods to reality and seeing out the results.

· Registered
4,771 Posts
well I won't lie and say they way muslims and jews slaughter their animals the outcome is

A - The meat is much tastier

B - its free from any sort of Cancer or any other lethal risks unless the animal itself was sick with some disease.

I have read, tasted and asked a lot about this and I have gotten the same answer. Even the Bellas now only eat that kind of meat I think. I heard Brie telling about it on TD

· Locker Room Leader
15,219 Posts
Not a problem for me. In my country, the meat we buy isn't processed anyway. Not that I'd stop even if it was processed.

· Banned
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, so red meat increases risk of bowel cancer? Cool, I'll keep eating red meat and just drink more coffee as that apparently reduces risk of bowel cancer. The key is you can eat red meat, you just need to shit it out quickly, and that's where the coffee comes in.
Yeah, keep smoking alot & eating lots of vegetables too.

Durrr sooo healthy!!11111oneoneoneone

· Banned
3,123 Posts
How you will know what is true and what isn't, is by applying the methods to reality and seeing out the results.
I agree - so why the fuck listen to ancient religions when you've no idea how they came to their conclusions?

· Premium Member
39,721 Posts
:hmm: I think I'll stick to the Bacon anyway. A shorter life of doing the things you enjoy is better than a longer life of being miserable.
Yep. No one lives forever. Might as well enjoy the time you have.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
I agree - so why the fuck listen to ancient religions when you've no idea how they came to their conclusions?
They came to their conclusions in the same way that people have always come to conclusions, by observing reality and making rational judgments based on what they can see and feel.

Some of the judgments are probably wrong, the same goes for current science. Hell, entire concepts of science may be wrong, now that we have become more familiar and knowledgeable about quantum physics. We ditch old theories faster than average citizens can adapt, which is why most people still believe in things as "scientific" even though they are without any merit. It's almost becoming a second religion for people who are left behind in the process, with people parroting theories that have already been proven untrue.

I listen to ancient religions because there's plenty to be learned still. There's a lot to be learned from the writings of Vedas, ancient Babylon, ancient Greece, ancient Egypt. They are the architects that came up with much of the concepts that we have built science upon, mathematics and such, so it makes sense to study them as any kind of a scientific man. They didn't build the great Pyramid of Gaza by believing in complete bullshit. We had a Dark age under Christianity that leads people to believe we were always dumb as fuck in the past, the same as how Islamic people are now living in a Dark age compared to their Golden ages.

· Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,709 Posts
Yep. No one lives forever. Might as well enjoy the time you have.
No one should really want to live forever, either. You work for 50 years and very people have pensions that last longer than 20 years. Meaning your quality of life will expotentially fall off by the time most people are between 80 and 90. And after that, you are a burden on your family and the state.

· Banned
945 Posts
Yeah, keep smoking alot & eating lots of vegetables too.

Durrr sooo healthy!!11111oneoneoneone
I kicked the cigs a while ago but I'll keep eating my greens and smoking my green. If you want to live your life according to 'expert' standards of what health is, be my guest. I'm going to live my life however I want to live my life and if that means eating like shit and making goofy jokes on the internet that go over people's heads, well that's just how it's going to be.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.