Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always see people hating on the ring skills of people like Hulk Hogan, Scott Steiner, Kevin Nash, Goldberg, and John Cena. That being said, I do not believe that any of these people are as horrible as people paint them to be.

Exhibit A: Hulk Hogan -

I will include WCW clips as well, as there will inevitably be people who say that overseas wrestling doesn't count. This match however, showcases a bit of technical wrestling on Hogan's part, and shows some tricks he had up his sleeve including an enziguri.

Another technical match from Japan - This features some really nice suplexes and scoop slams. One thing to keep notice of in watching all of these matches: Hulk Hogan's drop toehold, he performs it beautifully and he used it quite often even in the states.

The first of the American clips that I'll be showing, so the styles will be quite different. This is more of a brawling oriented match, but check out some of those punches and beautiful clotheslines. Check out the arm wrench trade/drop toehold sequence starting at 6:35. There is also plenty of mat wrestling in this match, and Hogan takes a lot of nice bumps, which says alot given his well-known back problems.

At this point, Hogan is 44 years old and suffering from back problems. I think that he probably should have already been retired by now. Still, he brings out some nice jumping knees and is moving incredibly fast during mat sequences given his age and condition, and this is probably one of his better matches in WCW.

In closing, I'm not trying to paint Hogan as some technical wrestling god, which he most assuredly was NOT. What I am saying is that while not being some sort of god in the ring, he is far from the OMG WORST WRESTLER that a lot of people act like he is.

Who are some wrestlers that you feel have an unfair reputation as being horrible in the ring?

Reactions: Chi Town Punk

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
Rock, Hogan, Warrior, Batista. All those guys have been in some of the best matches of all time.

Right now? Jinder Mahal comes to mind. I'd put him as one of the best in-ring workers in WWE today. Most people are too ignorant to even watch Superstars to see what he can do before passing judgement.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't watch Superstars, but from what I've seen on Smackdown, Jinder Mahal certainly isn't one of the worst on the roster. Any matches in particular that I should check out?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Batista was a big one. By 2007 his ring work still wasn't "great" but he was one of the most consistent guys on the roster and had some really great matches

·
Congratulations, you played yourself
9,528 Posts
I don't watch Superstars, but from what I've seen on Smackdown, Jinder Mahal certainly isn't one of the worst on the roster. Any matches in particular that I should check out?
Mahal vs DiBiase on Superstars
Mahal vs Barreta on Superstars

And I liked his matches with Sheamus too.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steiner was a GREAT wrestler in WCW before gettin on the juice
(Y) The Steiner Brothers are IMO the greatest tag team of all time, Scott's standing frankensteiners were really something of a spectacle to behold. I'll profile him a bit later, planning on doing Goldberg next.

Checking out those Mahal matches in a minute.

Edit: Just watched the Mahal vs. Baretta match from 11/24/11, and I really enjoyed it. The turnbuckle push to the barrier was great, and Jinder's holds look really ace. I might have to start watching Superstars.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Mr. Anderson/Mr. Kennedy

·
Banned
561 Posts
Rock, Hogan, Warrior, Batista. All those guys have been in some of the best matches of all time.

Right now? Jinder Mahal comes to mind. I'd put him as one of the best in-ring workers in WWE today. Most people are too ignorant to even watch Superstars to see what he can do before passing judgement.
(Y)this

·
Registered
987 Posts
Cena's the number one for me, because he gets a rep for being terrible when he's not just not terrible he's really really good. The talking points against him are retarded. Saying he no sells when he spends the whole match selling, for example.

Goldberg's another big one. Guy's matches were fine even when longer. I can't think of many flat out bad goldberg matches.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Batista. I rag on him a lot but he was actually pretty good and showed some surprising flexibility in the ring despite his size and age.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Cena is not as bad as people make him out to be..
Are there people who seriously think Cena is a bad wrestler?

As to the thread. Most wrestlers who are considered horrible actually are horrible. Honestly people tend to overrate more than underrate on this forum, so I can't really think of anyone. I guess Jeff Hardy, even though he's sloppy and only has one role, he can play that role very well and he seems very open to being carried, leading to some very good matches in his career. He gets a bad rep cause of his over reliance on spots (which is annoying) and his lack of technical wrestling, which I think people harp on about way too much.

As for Hogan, he isn't awful, he was a very competent wrestler, as in he did what he was supposed to do very well, it's just that what he did wasn't very interesting. He could get the crowds involved based on the strength of his character, but I really doubt Hogan could carry a match just on his ring skill.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pick #2 for me is Goldberg. The only negative I can really think of is the fact that he could be dangerous in the ring at times. People always say that he was limited in the ring, but his gimmick was an unstoppable monster. He had the look and intensity where it was believable that he could just destroy people. He didn't have to throw out tons of sweeps and holds to look credible like the smaller superstars(Dean Malenko, Chris Benoit, 90s Eddie Guerrero) had to. He was a powerhouse, and his power moves were really on target.

I'll include one squash match and a few longer matches, as the longer matches show a lot more versatility.

One of my favorites out of his squash matches. The power moves are great, and the match includes Goldberg's best spear, in my opinion.

The military presses in this match really showcase his strength. He picks Saturn up like he's a feather and holds him with ease.

This match really shows his versatility. Check out that wicked takedown at 2:00. An example of his being dangerous is in this match though... He just about kills Meng at the 8:15 mark. It isn't entirely clear to me which of the two caused this mistake.

My all-time favorite Goldberg match. Again that awesome takedown I pointed out in the last match, starting at 3:10. 5:50 until Hogan breaks up the Scorpion Deathlock is my favorite sequence in any Goldberg match.

Fancy little clip showing some of Goldberg's athleticism. Dude could move when he needed to.

Think I'll do either Steiner or Nash next, maybe not until tomorrow though.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts

Warrior is still an awful wrestler. He's only had one or 2 good matches and that was mainly because of his opponent. On the average, most of his matches are bad.

The talking points against him are retarded. Saying he no sells when he spends the whole match selling, for example.
But it's true. Cena will sell during the match and when the finish is about to come he acts like nothing ever happened. The biggest example is the I Quit match with The Miz when he's beaten up for 20 minutes and he suddenly goes crazy in the last 5 minutes.

·
Banned
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Changed my mind and decided to profile somebody else first. Pick #3 is The Giant/Big Show. I'll admit that he has gotten pretty bad as of late, but when he was leaner he put on a lot of great matches.

Really looks great running the ropes in this match. Tosses out an amazing military press around the 5:10 mark. Great bearhug starting around 6:05 with the classic ref arm raise spot that you don't see very often anymore. Check out how he flies across the ring when Sting takes his knee out, you won't see Big Show moving like that these days.

Not exactly a noteworthy match, what is noteworthy however... check out that MASSIVE dropkick at 2:30! If this doesn't speak to the agility he once possessed, I don't know what will. This will still be topped.

This is a good match all around, so watching part 1 first is reccommended if you actually want to watch the whole match. The main reason for posting this one is 2:15-2:35. The fact that a man as massive as The Giant would do a missile dropkick is mind boggling.

I swear he did a missile dropkick in WWE as well, around 2002-2003, but I don't feel like looking for it at the moment as I'm really tired.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts