Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
2,864 Posts
Hollywood Rock vs Word life Cena would have been a dream feud.
had cena beat rock at wm20 (rock was there anyway for some filler handicap tag match) instead of beating Show for the us title he could have been even more over than he was at that time.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Hollywood Rock was one of the best things about the so-called "Ruthless Aggression Era". It should have lasted longer. Was watching the stuff he did with The Hurricane recently and I laughed my ass off.

·
Registered
11,390 Posts
That's completely, utterly untrue. His run in 2003 was always going to be brief as he was scheduled to start shooting movies again in May. It had nothing to do with "interest".

I swear, some of you people just make things up out of thin air and act like you know what you're talking about. It's really incredible.
It's never brought back..funny if it was so popular it would have been. 2004-05 any time he appeared on TV was as babyface not Hollywood Rock. Heck it's never even been teased to return since he came back in 2011.

Pretty much every metric was down from same period previous year during the Hollywood Rock run (late January till late April 2003).

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,700 Posts
It's never brought back..funny if it was so popular it would have been. 2004-05 any time he appeared on TV was as babyface not Hollywood Rock. Heck it's never even been teased to return since he came back in 2011.

Pretty much every metric was down from same period previous year during the Hollywood Rock run (late January till late April 2003).
Once again, your logic is way off the mark and not based in reality. He only appeared in 2004 to be Foley’s partner at wrestlemania, where the Hollywood character would have made no sense. His spot returns after that were all one-offs, always as a babyface, and by 2011 it would have made no sense against Cena.

I’m not arguing it was a critical success or failure, just that the fact that it didn’t return has nothing to do with buy rates or anything else from 2003. Try to keep up.

·
Registered
11,390 Posts
What are you blithering on about?

No Way Out 2003 drew the highest b-level PPV buyrate in a year. They haven't touched that number since for a b-level PPV. The closest they came was the July PPV in 2005, which was headlined by the super hot Batista vs HHH feud.

Even Backlash 2003 bucked the trend by outdrawing the final 4 PPVs of 2002, including Survivor Series 2002 from MSG. What hurt Goldberg was putting him in Goldust's wig and other booking mistakes, not working with The Rock. Still, Bill's PPV numbers in 2003 were actually quite impressive when compared to the previous years's numbers and the numbers they did in 2004.

WM19 was a bomb. But to blame The Rock is moronic. Plenty of other performers deserve a share of the blame, including Angle, Brock, Hogan, Vince, etc.

Mind you, I am talking to someone who thinks that Daniel Bryan and Seth Rollins are mega-draws.
Goldberg and Rock should have been huge. Instead it did a 0.67 in early 2003 way down from backlash 2002.

Judgment Day with a shit card headlined by Brock and Big Show that was drawing nobody to houseshows drew a 0.62.

And Goldberg was hurt coming out of that feud. He was booed during his debut match.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Goldberg and Rock should have been huge. Instead it did a 0.67 in early 2003 way down from backlash 2002.

Judgment Day with a shit card headlined by Brock and Big Show that was drawing nobody to houseshows drew a 0.62.

And Goldberg was hurt coming out of that feud. He was booed during his debut match.
You are cherry picking numbers, as per usual. To blame Hollywood Rock for the poor WM number and the underwhelming Backlash number is moronic. WWF's PPV business was cold in late 2002 and early 2003. Backlash 2003 still drew more buys than the last 3 B-Level PPVs of 2002 (Unforgiven, No Mercy and Armageddon) and Survivor Series in November. It was outdrawn by No Way Out 2003, yet that show was headlined by Hollywood Rock vs Hogan and netted the company it's highest B-level PPV number in a year.

Backlash 2003 took place in front of traditional WWF crowd in the Boston area. Of course, Goldberg was going to be jeered. Not to mention the other silly booking that Bill endured that was independent of the Rock feud, such as Bill putting on Goldust's wig, etc.

It couldn't have hurt Goldberg that much either. Unforgiven 2003 and Survivor Series 2003 were both headlined by the HHH vs Goldberg feud, and were up on the previous year's numbers. Armageddon 2003 was down on the previous year, but partially because the show wasn't available for purchase in the UK as it had been in previous years. Goldberg also played a role in the impressive number that Bad Blood 2003 delivered (along with the HIAC gimmick, Foley, etc). That's quite impressive, given that the Smackdown brand PPVs were down on the previous year's numbers (No Mercy 2003, Vengence 2003)

WM 20 was also massively up on the previous year and drew the 2nd biggest domestic number in WWE history. It was the Goldberg vs Lesnar match that fans mostly paid to see, as demonstrated by online polls and a report from the WO before the event. The Lesnar vs Goldberg programme was central to Wrestlemania's go-home show (along with the Rock's programme with Orton/Flair/Batista)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Hollywood Rock was my favorite version of The Rock and was (surprise, surprise) a Paul Heyman idea per his interview on Off The Record with Michael Landsberg I agree it should have lasted longer but Vince (according to Bruce Prichard on his podcast) believed when he was "sh****ng" on the crowd, he was "sh****ng ice cream" and wanted him back as a face.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hollywood Rock was my favorite version of The Rock and was (surprise, surprise) a Paul Heyman idea per his interview on Off The Record with Michael Landsberg I agree it should have lasted longer but Vince (according to Bruce Prichard on his podcast) believed when he was "sh****ng" on the crowd, he was "sh****ng ice cream" and wanted him back as a face.
He was a great Heel but being as comical as he naturally was it was hard not to cheer him, His jokes on Hurricane in particular was funny especially when he said he was guilty of shoving chicken Mcnuggets up his ass lol.

·
Registered
768 Posts
He was a great Heel but being as comical as he naturally was it was hard not to cheer him, His jokes on Hurricane in particular was funny especially when he said he was guilty of shoving chicken Mcnuggets up his ass lol.
His stuff with Hurricane was gold!!!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
At WM20, when The Rock was backstage and found The Hurricane with Rosey while they were eating fast food burgers, "Oh look, its The Hamburgler and Grimace! Try the chicken nuggets ya fat son bitch"

God I loved it

21 - 30 of 30 Posts