Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watching the best of nitro dvd and theres a match from August 99 featuring Hogan wearing the classic red and yellow as a face teaming with Goldberg and Sting. Was thinking that once he turned heel @ Bash at the Beach in 96 he stayed heel for his entire wcw run. Did he leave the nWo or something?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: Hogan face turn in WCW 99?

he got a face reaction in canada when he was heel with the nwo two weeks prior to spring stampede. he gets injured for a few months comes back in the summer beat another heel in savage to became a face again and then nash turns on hogan to complete his face turnaround.

·
Registered
873 Posts

I was confused with this time period as well.

I remember seeing an article that referred to him basically as a face, but he continued to wear the black and white up until the Russo-rific Beach Blast.

He was part of the Millionaires Club, and they were basically the faces, right?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

I was confused with this time period as well.

I remember seeing an article that referred to him basically as a face, but he continued to wear the black and white up until the Russo-rific Beach Blast.

He was part of the Millionaires Club, and they were basically the faces, right?
thats 2000. he wears red yellow till halloween havoc 99 against sting. falls out with wcw. returns march or later in 2000 as red and yellow until then the new blood takes over and then hes called terry bollea and hes in his street cloths. returns to nwo hollywood attire to show his means streak against kidman or jarrett.

·
Premium Member
15,068 Posts

I remember him having the match at Havoc 99, I believe, against Sting where Sting turned heel by hitting Hogan with the bat but was actually cheered more than he already was.

Not sure on the exact year but I recall Hogan turning face during a cage match with Flair at Uncensored, maybe? It was for control of WCW and not saying Hogan did a complete turn but he was the heel going into the match and Flair was face but coming out of that, Flair became the villan.

Also, in WCW at this time, it was hard to tell who was face and who was heel. Too many superstars, too many swerves and just a big mess. But I still loved it.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts

Could've sworn they turned him to cope with the loss of their top guy in goldberg.

The nosedive in business coincided with Goldbergs injury.

·
Registered
873 Posts

thats 2000. he wears red yellow till halloween havoc 99 against sting. falls out with wcw. returns march or later in 2000 as red and yellow until then the new blood takes over and then hes called terry bollea and hes in his street cloths. returns to nwo hollywood attire to show his means streak against kidman or jarrett.
Thank you for clearing that up. It always kid of nagged me that I remembered him switching back to yellow and red, and then I saw him in B&W for Beach Blast.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Actually it was a double turn at uncensored 1999,Hogan turned face and Flair turned heel in a cage match. Hogan was still NWO (after it merged with the babyface wolfpac to form a super heel group) and Flair and the Horsemen were now heel. Hogan then got taken out at the next PPV and was out due to an injury. He returned to the real american gimmick when he returned. The NWO just fizzled out really. An example of how poor WCW storylines were.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Could've sworn they turned him to cope with the loss of their top guy in goldberg.

The nosedive in business coincided with Goldbergs injury.
That is not true, Goldberg was never a legit draw for WCW - he was never the main man. He always had a supporting cast that made him look good. I'm not doubting that he wasn't one of WCW's top stars - heck he was paid $2m per year + bonuses - but he only ever looked good when he made the save, or was put in there with another top star.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Actually it was a double turn at uncensored 1999,Hogan turned face and Flair turned heel in a cage match. Hogan was still NWO (after it merged with the babyface wolfpac to form a super heel group) and Flair and the Horsemen were now heel. Hogan then got taken out at the next PPV and was out due to an injury. He returned to the real american gimmick when he returned. The NWO just fizzled out really. An example of how poor WCW storylines were.
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT, I...HAVE...GOT...THIS.

You pretty much got it BUT Hulk didnt return to real american for about 3 weeks after his return. It was the night after Bash at the Beach 1999 where Savage just beat Nash for the belt. Savage came out and was like "ohhhhhh yeah ill take anyone on but nash for the belt oooohh yeah"(r.i.p., one of the all time greats) Then Hogan comes out and is like "LETS DO THIS BROTHER" so they do. During the match, Nash comes out, and helps Hogan win. Nash is like "yo yo yo, lets fight at road wild, only this time im not laying down"...he was talkin bout finger poke of doom. So nash immediatley turns heel. Well a couple weeks later theres going to be some tag match main event or something and Hulk is in the back and his kid nick who is like 8 shows up. Nick is like dad "i found your yellow clothes you should wear these tonight...and can we get mcdonalds cus i peed around the toilet like a good boy...brother" and so Hulk came out that night in full HULKAMANIA gear.

·
Registered
560 Posts
It was Uncensored 1999 during the Hogan/Flair cage match. Flair went in as a the face, Hogan as the heel. It ended up becoming a double turn. Most importantly I remember marking like a bitch because Hogan hulked up in the middle of the match and I don't think anyone saw it coming.

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
Honestly, way back then I was pretty much surprised to see Hogan's face turn in 1999. I felt like he was a heel for a very long time since I didn't knew much about wrestling back then. But then again, those years were great being a fan of wrestling.

Reactions: OldschoolHero
1 - 16 of 16 Posts