Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago someone made a thread about the Ministry and Undertaker, and it piqued my interest.

I wasn't watching WWE by the time Ministry was happening, and videos on youtube are scarce. I like the look of Undertaker during this time, and it seems like his promo work was epic. I've seen the First Blood match with Austin, but the whole angle was long, so connecting the dots is a challenge.

So, can someone help me out here and give me a history lesson? I don't need videos, but that would help.

·
You are being watched
5,683 Posts
This is quoted from Wikipedia, by the way.

n October 1998 at the Judgment Day: In Your House pay-per-view event, Paul Bearer turned his back on his son Kane and rejoined the side of Kane's brother, the Undertaker. They began prophesying that the Ministry of Darkness and a "plague of evil" would be unleashed on the WWF towards the end of the year, thus making Undertaker a villain. The Undertaker continued to feud with Kane and Stone Cold Steve Austin, which involved several controversial segments in which the Undertaker appeared to attempt to have Austin embalmed alive, attempt to have Kane committed to a mental asylum, and crucify Austin, among other deeds. Undertaker's evil and satanic plans were delayed when Kane cost him a Buried Alive match to Austin at Rock Bottom: In Your House, and he wasn't seen for several weeks afterwards.
Meanwhile Justin Hawk Bradshaw and Faarooq formed Hell's Henchmen, a dark and brooding tag team briefly managed by The Jackyl. Shortly after their debut, the Jackyl left WWF and the team changed their name to The Acolytes. The characters Bradshaw and Faarooq ended up as the henchmen of a then-unknown new leader. As one of their first orders of business, they abducted Dennis Knight on the January 11 episode of Raw Is War and took him to "He". Weeks later, "He" turned out to be a renewed, druid-like Undertaker, who proceeded to initiate Knight as his servant via a ritual, rechristening him as Mideon.
At the Royal Rumble 1999 show, the group of Undertaker, Mideon, and The Acolytes abducted the 485-pound Mabel, who was renamed Viscera the following night on Raw Is War, and turned him to the Undertaker's side. Another faction, the Brood (Edge, Christian and Gangrel), was recruited to the Undertaker's service as well. Then, the Undertaker made it clear that he wanted to own the World Wrestling Federation and oust Vince McMahon.

Vince McMahon turned face during this time, claiming that Mark Calaway (Undertaker) was taking his gimmick too far, and that Calaway actually believed that he in fact was the Undertaker and that he was the second coming of the Lord of Darkness. This statement could be received as breaking the fourth wall of kayfabe, due to the use of Calaway's real name and the reference to gimmicks. McMahon, shook up, put Undertaker in the second-ever Inferno match, a rematch of the first as Undertaker faced off against his "brother" Kane (who had joined Vince's Corporation to avoid being committed to the aforementioned asylum). Undertaker defeated Kane again, and reduced the WWF owner to tears at the sight of a burning teddy bear. The bear was said to have once belonged to Stephanie McMahon (as a child).
For weeks, Undertaker revealed that his Ministry actually took orders from a "higher power", and kept talking about a higher power who apparently owned the key to McMahon's heart and soul. After leaving a burning symbol resembling a crucifix in McMahon's yard, the Corporate leader ordered his enforcer, the Big Bossman, to face Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match at WrestleMania XV. Undertaker claimed victory without much difficulty. After the match, the Brood lowered themselves from the ceiling onto the top of the cell and then lowered a noose to the Undertaker. He sent McMahon another, symbolic message by hanging Big Bossman from the cell.
After WrestleMania, the mysterious woman in the storyline was revealed to be McMahon's own daughter, Stephanie. The Ministry took Stephanie captive that night, and Corporation member Ken Shamrock found Stephanie, crying in the boiler room and with the Undertaker's symbol on her forehead. As revenge on Shamrock for ruining his plans, Undertaker ordered The Ministry to abduct Ken's "sister", Ryan, and "sacrifice" her on one of his symbols. The next week, Shamrock found his sister crying in the boiler room. In addition, since Shamrock had attained the information as to Stephanie's whereabouts by forcing it out of Christian, Undertaker punished Christian by flogging him. The next week, he tried to sacrifice Shamrock and then ordered Christian's fellow Brood members Edge and Gangrel to sacrifice him as well, but they refused and turned against Undertaker instead. This defection of the Brood was the only voluntary defection from the Ministry during its entire tenure.

At Backlash: In Your House, Vince McMahon had a crazed Shamrock face Undertaker in the hopes that Shamrock would break Undertaker's ankle with his Ankle lock toehold submission. His plan backfired, and Shamrock was attacked by Bradshaw after the match. Later, The Undertaker commandeered Stephanie McMahon's limo and drove off into the night with a screaming Stephanie in tow as Backlash went off the air.
The next night, Undertaker held a "Black Wedding" for himself and Stephanie because if he married the WWF owner's daughter, he would control the entire Federation. Undertaker never got his wish, as the ceremony was disrupted by Steve Austin, the WWF Champion, after attempts by Ken Shamrock and the Big Show failed. As a result, on the very first ever episode of SmackDown!, The Undertaker proceeded to join forces with Vince McMahon's son Shane, in turn gaining control of the Corporation and merging his Ministry with it to form the even more powerful Corporate Ministry. Under his new leadership, the members of both factions seemingly forgot their past conflicts and worked together as a massive stable.
After Vince McMahon was revealed as its "Higher Power", however, the Corporate Ministry would eventually dissolve. The Undertaker formed a new "Unholy Alliance" with Big Show, Mideon and Viscera, which led to two tag team title reigns for Undertaker and Big Show. This group came to an end when the Undertaker suffered an injury in September and was written out by quitting rather than taking orders from Vince McMahon.

·
Banned
291 Posts
LOD Undertaker was epic but I always felt he overdid it with the way he talked.
The Deadman persona is more respectable cause he rarely says anything, he's too busy kicking ass left and right.

·
EPW Owner
4,267 Posts
This is the era that I started watching wrestling, I suggest you track down the clip where Undertaker kidnaps Stephanie McMahon in a limo that still scares the crap out of me.

The Ministry was great but unveiling Vince McMahon as the higher power was stupid and that really put the nail in the coffin for the stable

·
Banned
291 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought the hanging was sweet, that's something perfect for a heel supernatural gimmick.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
who thought of Vince was higher power? i never think it was him, i never think he was that evil risk his own family to get rid of Austin

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been watching some vids, and it seems like the Ministry days were MUCH better than before the union with the Corporation. Kidnapping Steph was awesome, then Vince is the higher power? wtf is this.

·
Ho!
18,022 Posts
Ministry was awesome, Corporate Ministry was overkill. Taker's mic work during this was excellent, and shows what Taker could really do on the mic and why he's generally underrated by today's audience. Of course, I did like his mic work more during his ABA and Big Evil days, but Ministry Taker was the best mic work he's done under a deadman/darkside gimmick he's played. I remember someone had the whole year of Ministry Taker uploaded to a youtube account a couple of years ago. He was uploading them week by week, 10 years after the day the video he uploaded happened. However I believe he was forced to take his youtube account down, or at least the videos, and I haven't seen them in a while. But they were a treat while they lasted.

Anyway, end of story, Ministry era ruled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ministry was awesome, Corporate Ministry was overkill. Taker's mic work during this was excellent, and shows what Taker could really do on the mic and why he's generally underrated by today's audience. Of course, I did like his mic work more during his ABA and Big Evil days, but Ministry Taker was the best mic work he's done under a deadman/darkside gimmick he's played. I remember someone had the whole year of Ministry Taker uploaded to a youtube account a couple of years ago. He was uploading them week by week, 10 years after the day the video he uploaded happened. However I believe he was forced to take his youtube account down, or at least the videos, and I haven't seen them in a while. But they were a treat while they lasted.

Anyway, end of story, Ministry era ruled.
There's a guy on dailymotion with a ton of Ministry stuff.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7b10x_the-undertaker-ministry-era-vol-1_sport

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
who thought of Vince was higher power? i never think it was him, i never think he was that evil risk his own family to get rid of Austin
Well looking back Vince and Austin hated each other and Vince did what he had to so he could rid the WWF of Austin. The angle with Vince and Taker were Taker tried to get the WWF from under Vince by using Steph as a ploy was good to watch and then to find out Vince was behind it all to screw Austin out of the WWF title was icing on the cake. But to then have Austin named as the CEO of the WWF was just great which made for good tv

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
It was all very stupid, pointless, anticlimactic and had more red herrings in it than Dan Brown's worst novel, but because it is still deemed "edgy" it is treated like it was some kind of wonderful thing. It's the absolute nadir of what you want a wrestling angle to be: utterly nonsensical and literally unbelievable while being stultifyingly predictable and prosaic to the extreme.

It truly makes the current Nexus/Corre offering look like Macbeth by comparison.

·
Banned
291 Posts
I always cringe at the one episode where they're all standing in a circle with the lights off and Taker's telling everyone where to go in his overdone Christian-Bale-Batman voice. It looked like a scene from a straight to DVD horror movie or something.

Awful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts