1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great article.

rohwrestling.com said:

Saturday, April 3, 2010 – Tuesday, January 4, 2011…and counting​

Yesterday, January 4, 2011, was a day that will go down in Ring of Honor history because that was the day in which Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli, collectively The Kings of Wrestling, broke a record that has stood since December 30, 2007. 1/4/11 marked the day that Hero & Claudio become the longest reigning World Tag Team Champions in ROH history.

Since “Final Battle 2007”, where Jay & Mark Briscoe lost the belts to Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black, the record for longest title reign has stood at 275 days. Lasting from March 30, 2007 until December 30, 2007, the length of the Briscoes fourth title reign stood through 7 subsequent title reigns, including two more of their own, and saw them defend the belt 18 times successfully.

Effective Tuesday night, the honor of “longest title reign” now falls on the shoulders of The KoW, and with no title defenses scheduled until the “9th Anniversary Show” on February 26th, it looks as if the 2-Time Champions will reach 329 days before someone has the opportunity to dethrone them. That night it will be Rhett Titus & Kenny King, The All Night Express, who have the shot at knocking the crowns off the Kings heads.

“It’s been a long hard reign, there is no denying that.” said Chris Hero, “We took the belts at will from The Briscoes to start this reign, and we beat them two more times. Actually make that three times, lest you forget about Ultimate Endurance and how we beat THREE other teams that night. The Machine Guns, The ANX, The Fight Club, you name it we have beaten them down. Generico and Colt, Steen and Corino, The Wolves, we have taken them all on and proved our superiority. There’s a reason why our motto is ‘Kings Reign Supreme’, and I would say that myself and Claudio Castagnoli have spent the last 276 days proving it. If Ring of Honor and Jim Cornette can find us worthy competition, then please bring them on, and we will dominate them too. The Kings of Wrestling’s title reign will be spoken about with the same reverence as Samoa Joe’s by the time we are through and we will forever be the measuring stick by which tag teams are judged!”

“Generation Me, Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin, we broke them.” added Claudio, “We proved they did not even deserve a shot at the titles. No one can beat us. No one.”

With eight official title defenses under their belt, Hero & Claudio now begin their chase to shatter the 18 successful defenses record accumulated by both The Briscoes as well as Austin Aries & Roderick Strong. Should the Kings go through The All Night Express in Chicago Ridge, who will step up to stop the KoW’s pursuit of history?

TITLE HISTORY
Defeated- Jay & Mark Briscoe
Location- Charlotte, NC
Date- 4/3/10

–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin by DQ after The Briscoes interfered in New York, NY on 5/8/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Jay & Mark Briscoe in a No DQ Match in Toronto, Ontario on 6/19/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Jay & Mark Briscoe in Philadelphia, PA on 8/21/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Jay & Mark Briscoe, The All Night Express, and The Dark City Fight Club in Ultimate Endurance in Charlotte, NC on 8/28/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Colt Cabana & El Generico in Plymouth, MA on 9/10/10
–Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli defeated Davey Richards & Christopher Daniels in Dayton, OH on 10/15/10
–Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli defeated Kevin Steen and Steve Corino in Mississauga, Ontario on 11/13/10
–Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli defeated The American Wolves in Plymouth, MA on 12/17/10

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Now have them be the first to hold the belts over a year. Shit, there's no reason for them to lose them any time soon. I wouldn't mind them being the Samoa Joe of the tag belts and getting such a ridiculously long reign that when someone does beat them, it's a huge deal.

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
History has been made with ROH's prolonged incompetence - Hero is being completely wasted in a tag-team. The main-event scene needs some charisma and guys that can be true mainstream stars and Hero fits the bill perfectly. As a team they're completely overrated and, while great indididually, have very little chemistry. The same applies for Kenny King - he's far too talented for the lowly position that he finds himself in. I like them as a team but it's obvious that KK is a goldmine waiting to happen.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
Imagine the tag division without them though. There's no more Steen/Generico, and the Wolves are basically done.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
History has been made with ROH's prolonged incompetence - Hero is being completely wasted in a tag-team. The main-event scene needs some charisma and guys that can be true mainstream stars and Hero fits the bill perfectly. As a team they're completely overrated and, while great indididually, have very little chemistry. The same applies for Kenny King - he's far too talented for the lowly position that he finds himself in. I like them as a team but it's obvious that KK is a goldmine waiting to happen.
Bullshit, there's no reason why the ROH WORLD tag-team titles shouldn't be equally as important as the ROH world title. Just because certain promotions don't treat their tag-team titles with any respect, that doesn't mean ROH should follow suit, quite the oppsite in fact.

Right now the ROH main-event contains Roddy, Daniels, Homocide and Davey. Add El Generico to the mix along with a possible return for Low Ki, a Colt Cabana push coming off his involvement with the Steen/Generico feud, maybe a Steve Corino title opportunity and the main-event is pretty well catered for at the moment. Hero, Claudio and especially Kenny wouldn't add a great deal right now and at least two of them would get lost in the shuffle.

ROH obviously believe that those guys are better utilised in the tag-team division at this point in time and I can't say I disagree.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
The Kings are overrated?

King himself is so overrated.

The reason why Hero is being "wasted" :)confused:) in a tag team is because tag team wrestling is just as important in Ring of Honor as the main event scene.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't disagree with Power's idea that Hero could make a better champion than Roddy but ROH is all about the slow burn. Roddy's been with ROH since 2003. Hero only debuted in 2006.

Rushing the belt onto Kenny King wouldn't help anyone, either. There's a huge queue of far more established guys than him and the longer you allow people's stories to play out, the better. TBH King hasn't delivered on his potential, as quickly as I thought he would, and he's still inconsistent with his matches. ROH couldn't trust him with a permanent main event spot yet and it's easy to forget that people like Roddy and Davey are actually younger than him and much better wrestlers.

The "very little chemistry" comment is a bit stupid. Claudio and Hero are long-time best friends, have been teaming together for six years and Claudio was, pretty much, discovered and mentored by Hero.

Anyway, KOW vs. ANX will likely be the semi-main event at 9th Anny so that's hardly a "lowly position". We'll see if that match delivers or not.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
They should keep it until Final Battle 2011.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Yeah, the Kings are running out of challengers. I'm expecting Haas and Benjamin to be the ones to take it from them. You know they will get a shot.

·
Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me
8,234 Posts
Now have them be the first to hold the belts over a year. Shit, there's no reason for them to lose them any time soon. I wouldn't mind them being the Samoa Joe of the tag belts and getting such a ridiculously long reign that when someone does beat them, it's a huge deal.
I honestly wouldn't mind this. Though I won't be surprised if Haas and Benjamin beat them this year.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I think it's at the stage that when someone beats them it's gonna be a huge deal.I think they should have Adam Cole and Kyle O Reily garner some wins against well established teams and have a upset victory against the Kings in a few months ,then you have another legit team.I can see WGTT win the belts though ,not as if I have a problem really.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Hopefully ROH doesn't blow it like PWG did with the Cutlers and give the belts to the bigger name guys Haas & Benjamin over a team like Cole & O'Reilly when they are ready to win the belts. I do still like the idea Haas & Benjamin as Champions but if they win at least have them lose to a young team and put them over.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I said back in October that Cole and O'Reilly should be the ones to take the belts off the Kings. I still think that's a good idea, but I wouldn't be too opposed to Haas and Benjamin getting a short run first.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Before Papa Briscoe got involved, I would've bet money they were building towards Kings-Briscoes Ladder War III. Now it really looks like the Kings will barely defeat the ANE at the iPPV and then drop the belts to WGTT at the next iPPV (or Atlanta). By then the ANE will be built up more than enough to take the titles from Haas and Benjamin and take their feud with Cole/O'Reilly to the next level.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hopefully ROH doesn't blow it like PWG did with the Cutlers and give the belts to the bigger name guys Haas & Benjamin over a team like Cole & O'Reilly when they are ready to win the belts. I do still like the idea Haas & Benjamin as Champions but if they win at least have them lose to a young team and put them over.
It has to go to WGTT and then ANX IMO. I don't really see Adamle as anything more than a thrown together team, made up of two really talented young individuals.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
If they build Cole/O'Reilly up as a team then they can be seen as legit contenders, I mean what was King & Titus before Aries brought them together? Obviously it wouldn't happen until late in the year if done right (or unless WGTT has the belts and they have to drop them because they signed with TNA) but if they're not going to be able to push them as singles guys until 2012 then this would get them over until a possible break up and feud.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I mean what was King & Titus before Aries brought them together?
Two FIP guys with similar gimmicks? I dunno...I see your point though. I just feel as though Cole and O'Reilly are too different to ever be a permanent tag team. They remind me of...like...Marty Jannetty and Steve Blackman, respectively.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
these guys are that darn, bloody good tag title run, sorry for being sceptical at first

1 - 20 of 20 Posts