Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the reason backstage for HIAC starting? Did they want some big gimmick thing for the undertaker?

Or might the fact that they had Kane debuting play a huge role in the reason for the HIAC itself since he'd debut during the first match that introduced the largest structure at the time in the WWE, he ripped off the door(which seems more impressive on hiac over a steel cage match) and destroyed the undertaker inside a structure that seems to have suited undertaker the best.

I think the reason they kept it around was cause of the reception that the Taker-Foley match got,but it might have only started as a big way to debut kane?

·
An inconspicuous fella
1,505 Posts
From what I've heard on one of the WWE's DVD sets (I forget which one), They wanted the blow-off match in the feud between HBK & The Undertaker to be a unique type of Cage match and it was Shawn Michaels that suggested the layout of the Hell in a Cell to have a roof and the cage surrounding the entire ring.

·
All Out
2,790 Posts
From what I've heard on one of the WWE's DVD sets (I forget which one), They wanted the blow-off match in the feud between HBK & The Undertaker to be a unique type of Cage match and it was Shawn Michaels that suggested the layout of the Hell in a Cell to have a roof and the cage surrounding the entire ring.
This, and it was part of the storyline - as their had been interference in previous matches so a cage match with a roof on the cage was necessary. Kind of defeated the purpose of the Cell to have an interference in the first one haha (Kanes debut), but a classic match and moment...

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
It was done so HBK finally gets his comeuppance and cannot hide behind DX interference like a chickenshit heel champion. And he still managed to retain!

I don't know who legitimately came up with the structure idea though.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
the HIAC ppv was started because the fucking WWE got too kid friendly and decided instead of having just one of these types of matches a year and was a major blood bath which was fucking epic! now its not even half good anymore!

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
the HIAC ppv was started because the fucking WWE got too kid friendly and decided instead of having just one of these types of matches a year and was a major blood bath which was fucking epic! now its not even half good anymore!
We're talking about the match concept, not the ppv.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
This, and it was part of the storyline - as their had been interference in previous matches so a cage match with a roof on the cage was necessary. Kind of defeated the purpose of the Cell to have an interference in the first one haha (Kanes debut), but a classic match and moment...
Well, interference was less of a problem than the fact that Taker and HBK were all over the arena during their Ground Zero match the month before, as Shawn kept trying to escape.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I said the backstage reason(meaning the reason for the writers and stuff),not the actual reason said on tv.

Which is why I said Kanes debut might have been a reason to make it HIAC so his debut would be bigger

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Its purpose was to keep DX out, but that didn't work out so well.

- Vic
It worked perfectly fine in that regard. Its not the cage designers fault that the Undertakers little brother chose that night to turn up and rip the cage open.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts