Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 13:11

So apparently, the HHH/Rock Judgement Day ironman match was originally planned for WM 16, but with the finish being similar to backlash(Austin returning and helping Rock to win the title).

Had this gone the way it was planned, it would've been the greatest WM match ever. Those guys killed it in that ironman match, despite the dumb finish.

I'm surprised that Vince actually thought that Austin would be ready by April that year, knowing that he did the neck surgery in January. Even when he showed up at Backlash, you could tell that Austin was out of shape and was still recovering from the surgery, the fact that he showed up and did what he did just shows how tough this guy really is.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,993 Posts
So apparently, the HHH/Rock Judgement Day ironman match was originally planned for WM 16, but with the finish being similar to backlash(Austin returning and helping Rock to win the title).

Had this gone the way it was planned, it would've been the greatest WM match ever. Those guys killed it in that ironman match, despite the dumb finish.
That's a stretch, of course, since if you cut and paste the match into WrestleMania, it still can't hold a candle to something like Hart/Austin, but I agree it would have been VASTLY better than the clusterfuck we got instead. Interesting thread - thanks for sharing! :)

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,703 Posts
Definitely wouldn't have been the greatest WM match ever. This match worked better at a B PPV instead of Mania too. WM 2000 main event should have been the Backlash match. The four way with Hunter winning was stupid as hell.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a stretch, of course, since if you cut and paste the match into WrestleMania, it still can't hold a candle to something like Hart/Austin, but I agree it would have been VASTLY better than the clusterfuck we got instead. Interesting thread - thanks for sharing! :)
That ironman match was a classic.

An HHH/Rock Judgement Day match with the Backlash finish would've been better than Bret/Austin IMO,..that of course if the execution was exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
44,231 Posts
I loved their Ironman Match...and I hated the 4 way.

·
Registered
25,252 Posts
I’m glad it happened the way it did. Well, I mean I like that the Ironman match happened in May.

Don‘t get me wrong, the match was great and would have been far more fitting as a Mania main event then the 4 Way. But the main reason the Ironman match is remembered is because of Taker coming back at the end of the match, which couldnt happen at Mania.

Seriously, this is one of my top 5 favorite moments in wrestling:

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I’m glad it happened the way it did. Well, I mean I like that the Ironman match happened in May.

Don‘t get me wrong, the match was great and would have been far more fitting as a Mania main event then the 4 Way. But the main reason the Ironman match is remembered is because of Taker coming back at the end of the match, which couldnt happen at Mania.

Seriously, this is one of my top 5 favorite moments in wrestling:

Probably my favourite WWE moment and match.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wish they would had stuck with the idea of the Ironman match with the Backlash finish at Wrestlemania 2000.

It would have been the best Wrestlemania main event match of all time (yes, better than Rock/Austin the following year).

Just wonder though, if they couldn’t have Austin ready for Mania 2000 to do the run-in, why not have Mick Foley to replace him?? It would have made even more sense storyline wise.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,538 Posts
I get why they added Foley and Big Show to the match, but HHH/Rock would've been the better quality match (lets not forget Triple H was the best wrestler in the business in 2000). I think they also liked the idea of adding a McMahon to every wrestler in the match. Definitely don't think they would've had the best WM match of all time, though. HUGE stretch.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wonder though, if they couldn’t have Austin ready for Mania 2000 to do the run-in, why not have Mick Foley to replace him?? It would have made even more sense storyline wise.
Because Foley wouldn't get the same crowd response as a returning Austin whos been gone for nearly 6 months at that point.

·
Registered
101 Posts
In my opinion The Rock should have won the title at wrestlemania,that too without anybody's help.The Rock has never won or retain the world title at wrestlemania😐
I wouldn't mind Iron Man match at wrestlemania.It was damn good...or I should say the best ironman match of that time.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Austin should have made the run in at Wm 16 but I understand why he didn't

This just proves them holding it off til Backlash ment Rock winning was always the plan for Mania

·
The Babyface of WF
13,314 Posts
If it happened at WM16 that would have made their match far more meaningful having two Top foils clash one on one in a stipulated scenario where both want to prove who the best truly is regardless of the outcome.

·
3,993 Posts
That ironman match was a classic.

An HHH/Rock Judgement Day match with the Backlash finish would've been better than Bret/Austin IMO,..that of course if the execution was exactly the same.
Agree to disagree. Hart/Austin is comfortably my #1 WrestleMania match, but if the theoretical HHH/Rock match took place at WM, it'd definitely be in my top 10.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Would’ve done the iron man match at WM2000 Rock wins have a rematch at Judgment Day HHH wins then final match at Summerslam Rock wins

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought the fatal 4 way was a pretty good match. Other than the fact that the Big Show was in it and the Big Show was boring as shit. The only thing unique about him was that he was big.

Why did they have HHH retain the title in that match? Was that done so that HHH got a bigger push? At the time it was one of the few or the only times that the Champion retained the title at Wrestlemania which was good for a change.

All 4 wrestlers appeared together and had a good time at Saturday Night Live not long before the match. That was incredibly stupid for them to be getting along away from the actual show.

The Rock was right the Raw after No Way Out to say that Wrestlemania would absolutely suck if it was HHH vs Big Show. Nobody would want a heel vs heel Wrestlemania main event and nobody wants the Big Show and just one other guy in the main event.

·
3,993 Posts
Why did they have HHH retain the title in that match?
Mostly to try to surprise the audience. All 15 previous WrestleManias ended with face victories, and 11 ended with a face challenging and winning the title (only Hogan and Diesel had successfully defended at that point). Subverting expectations was the name of the game, no pun intended, as well as continuing Hunter's push.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts