Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember HHH saying in an interview that Austin and HHH were never technical wrestlers and that they were always powerhouses, when i read this i disagreed because i remember before Austin's neck injury and HHH's quad injury, these two were technical powerhouses. Anyone remember Austin's matches with Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat etc. and HHH's matches with Chris Benoit, Jericho, The Rock etc....

I think if these two never got injured....they could have put on a great feud.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Triple H wasn't the best technical guy, he was definitely good at being a powerhouse and technical wrestler though.

Austin was technical until the injuries piled up and he changed his style

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Pfffffff,, HHH just loves to think he is the incredible HULK.. He was an ok tech guy, He turned him self in to a ''power house'' I place those on quotes cause he is really whimpy IRL. Austin was never a power house, he was a brawler ONLY after he was a great Technical wreslter due to the injuries, but with his sucess the brawler type worked perfeectly for him. Austin is just an oddysy when it comes to wrestling everything went near to perfect in his career.

·
Ho!
17,481 Posts
Firstly, lol at the title.

Secondly, Austin's neck injury hindered his technical ability when he was a main eventer. HHH was a great in ring worker in 2000, and has an impressive match resume to back it up. Granted, if you look at his opponents:

1) Foley... a classic street fight and an excellent Cell match... however Foley has also had amazing street fights/hardcore matches against Orton and Edge, so even though HHH's match with Foley was better than there's, it's still telling that Foley works magic in these type of matches.

2) Rock... a guy HHH has feuded with and shown amazing chemistry with prior to their 2000 feud. Even though Rock wasn't the strongest in ring worker, the two guys always 'clicked'. From their Summerslam 1998 ladder match, to their Ironman match.

3) Jericho... Jericho is a guy, who has always been an excellent all around talent, and in ring talent isn't excluded. HHH had an excellent LMS match, one of the best if not the best LMS match with Jericho, but yeah... it was with Jericho.

4) Chris Benoit... arguably the best technical wrestler of all time... nuff said.

There was also Kurt Angle, although I wouldn't put any of the HHH/Kurt matches on the level of the matches the guys above had with HHH. They had some very good matches I recall, but nothing stands out tbh.

Not to take anything away from HHH, because when you have amazing matches at nearly every PPV for a year, you're doing something right. And hell, you could maybe stretch that to his injury in 2001 as he had a classic with Austin in 3SOH, a great WM match with Taker, and an excellent tag match on the night he was injured, and that's just off the top of my head.

HHH's quad injury really fucked him up though. After his quad injury, in the last 9 years, the only classic matches I remember were vs. HBK Summerslam 2002, vs. HBK/Benoit WM20 (although tbh, I give HBK and Benoit a lot more credit for this match than HHH) vs. Batista HIAC, vs. Cena NoC 2008, vs. Jeff Hardy No Mercy 2008. None of them I'd ever consider 5 stars , but they were all excellent matches. Besides those though, he's had some good-great matches here and there, but his quad injuries have severely crippled his in ring work from 2000, when he was a great in ring worker. He's still been good, besides in 2002-2003 when he was pretty poor all around, but I don't know looking back at his whole career if I'd consider him a "great" technical wrestler, not based on only a year and a half being great, and the rest of the time being good/bad.

Austin I don't know a lot as it relates to his pre-neck injury as far as matches go, but supposedly he was amazing. After he still did well as a brawler, but he definitely wasn't a great technical wrestler then. His 2001 run though was awesome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts