Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Sundance Kid
18,533 Posts
I agree with every word he said. In particular this:

"You see, if everyone is special, then no one is. If everyone gets a trophy, trophies become meaningless. ... We have of late, we Americans, to our detriment, come to love accolades more than genuine achievement."

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
He's right, there's nothing special about graduating high school anymore. No child left behind ruined that. Politicians goals for a dumbed down voting populace is moving ahead nicely.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,215 Posts
You stand at more by saying that you haven't graduated from high school.

It sounds like he gave a memorable speech with a message that everyone should follow. He was telling the kids to just try to find happiness in life and that's what everyone should be doing.

·
YES! YES! YES!
10,405 Posts
The entire speech is amazing. Love it. Wish a similar speech would've been given at my high school graduation.

For those saying "he's right, graduating isn't a big deal" congratulations, you're a moron and completely missed the point of the speech. Try reading it and not the short article summing it up or just the title of the headline. It's fantastic.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
At this point all you have to do to graduate high school is show up. Most schools can't afford to fail kids anymore.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,446 Posts
Great speech and it's true!

·
Banned
18,819 Posts
This is so true and the only reason it's creating a buzz is because people don't like getting butthurt when someone tells them something they don't want to hear and those are the exact people this speech goes to. Spoiled brats.

·
Banned
18,819 Posts
I like how they're all laughing at the start cause they thought he was joking, but then they shut the fuck up

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
This story strikes close to home with me because after ninth grade I decided to homeschool myself. Quite honestly, it was probably one of the best decisions I have made in my life.
The school systems are designed to teach people how to acclimate to the norm, which in my opinion is fucked up. You can't teach someone how to want to learn, they have to discover that for themselves.
If you are really serious about learning about what you're interested in, then taking things seriously is super easy and quite fun as well.
The fundamental problem with the school system worldwide is that it makes most people feel like learning new things is an obligation and by proxy boring and useless, that in my opinion is incredibly sad.
The experience I've gotten from my homeschooling has changed the way I look at the world for the better. In the perfect world kids would discover the wonders of universe and be able to enjoy the experience of understanding/studying them without feeling obligated to. As simple as it sounds I truly deliver that is the difference between growing as human and being conditioned to accept AB&C.
Thank you for reading this long winded diatribe,

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The guy sounds like a bit of a douche. Not that he doesn't have some points but way to turn what was an exciting moment for some into a way to promote your own shit.
I don't think he was promoting his own shit. I think he was saying you won't be given anything because you're not naturally special. It was basically a 'work har and don't take life for granted' message hidden behind a lot of truisms. Still well done though.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I graduated high school just a year ago and I don't remember the speech that was given. I would have remembered this though. It's about time someone in the educational system speaks the truth. Great speech

1 - 17 of 17 Posts