Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hot Dreams!
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the first PPV i've ever watched was Wrestlemania 6 at my Grandfather's. I was really young at the time and hadn't really heard of wrestling up until that point. I was entertained by the characters on the card, but the Warrior vignettes throughout the show really fascinated me. I didn't know much about Hulk Hogan, but I knew enough to know that he was a big deal. Hogan's character was larger than life, but the Warrior had an ethereal mystique to him, almost comic book superhero-like. When Warrior beat Hogan that night, it was the ultimate underdog triumph to me, and i fell in love with the character.

Throughout the next several years, I had a collection of Ultimate Warrior Wrestlebuddies, toys and t-shirts. When I stopped at the videostore, I would rent those huge WWF VHS's and pick the events with Warrior on the card. I even went out for Halloween one year sporting his signature facepaint.

Enter the summer of 1991. Undertaker had just arrived on the scene, and was in the midst of putting people in bodybags and locking them in coffins. My father got us tickets to see the WWF live during their Canadian leg tour in Montreal. I was 3 rows away from ringside. The main event that night happened to be the Ultimate Warrior vs The Undertaker in a bodybag match (some cities got this, and others got Slaughter vs Hogan). Needless to say, I was pumped but scared shitless of the Undertaker once his entrance hit. When Warrior came out, the place ERRUPTED and I was fully behind my guy. At the end of the match, the Undertaker put Warrior in a bodybag and I was in tears, then Warrior ripped himself out of the bag and pumbled Taker. That night was the greatest night of my life at that point.

Once Warrior left, I still watched, but wrestling wasnt ever the same for me. I was a huge Bret hart fan, but he never resonated with me quite the way Warrior did. Come wrestlemania 12, as much as I wanted to see the Ironman match, I was most excited for Warrior's return. His return certainly didn't disappoint, I marked out like I was 6 all over again.

the Ultimate warrior was one of my childhood heros. He might not've been the greatest worker to some, but as a kid I didn't give a flying fuck. He was awesome.

·
Registered
995 Posts
That's great and all, but he's no Daniel Bryan.
:troll

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
I really admire Edge and Christian because they've been 'tag partners' since age ten, and they told themselves they would go out and be the greatest and they did exactly that. They were only billed as brothers but they might as well have been for how similar they are, also the closest friendship I've ever seen in wrestling and probably anywhere.

One thing that struck me at Edge's HOF induction was when he said "Decide what to be and go be it. And I did. And now I'm a Hall of Famer." Which is... just absolutely ridiculous and kind of beggars belief.

·
Hot Dreams!
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really admire Edge and Christian because they've been 'tag partners' since age ten, and they told themselves they would go out and be the greatest and they did exactly that. They were only billed as brothers but they might as well have been for how similar they are, also the closest friendship I've ever seen in wrestling and probably anywhere.

One thing that struck me at Edge's HOF induction was when he said "Decide what to be and go be it. And I did. And now I'm a Hall of Famer." Which is... just absolutely ridiculous and kind of beggars belief.
It's interesting to me that the event that changed Edge's life (WM 6) is the same that made me fall in love with Wrestling. We both cheered for different guys in the main event, but we were both affected by it in a similar way.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My role model in wrestling is Eddie Guerrero.
He was little for a wrestler,he have issues with drugs but in the end,he have fight against all the odds and have bevoming one of the best wrestlers,entertainers and World Heavyheight Champion

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
It's interesting to me that the event that changed Edge's life (WM 6) is the same that made me fall in love with Wrestling. We both cheered for different guys in the main event, but we were both affected by it in a similar way.
I was thinking the same... while you were ecstatic at Warrior's victory, it crushed Edge's soul haha. He even promoed about it at WM XXIV, with a deadpan, matter of fact "my dreams were ruined, and I'm going to do the same for everyone here that wants Undertaker to win."

He held on to that for a long while, haha.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
My role model in wrestling is Eddie Guerrero.
He was little for a wrestler,he have issues with drugs but in the end,he have fight against all the odds and have bevoming one of the best wrestlers,entertainers and World Heavyheight Champion
Heavyheight?

Mine as a kid was Sting. Basically, he was the good guy, not to mention my favorite wrestler.

And the more I think about it, John Cena is a lot like Sting. Kids loved him and some older fans started to root against him. I remember hearing a story about how Philly pretty much shit on Sting.

I don't know what it was about him, but man, he had me actually wanting to be a wrestler when I got older. I had several of his action figures, would tune in every Saturday night at 6:05 and Saturday mornings to see him wrestle. I know he had his demons but overall, he seems like a nice guy. I'm yet to hear anybody say anything bad about Sting and in the wrestling business, thats rare.

I might get flack for this but I respect him more than Undertaker.

·
Hot Dreams!
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking the same... while you were ecstatic at Warrior's victory, it crushed Edge's soul haha. He even promoed about it at WM XXIV, with a deadpan, matter of fact "my dreams were ruined, and I'm going to do the same for everyone here that wants Undertaker to win."

He held on to that for a long while, haha.
lol Edge is awesome. I didn't even take it badly when he mocked Warrior on the Self Destruction DVD, you could tell that Hogan really was his guy. I personally never cared too much for Hogan, and it's not a Canadian thing ether since he's HUGELY over in Montreal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Shawn Michaels for me (as you can probably tell by the user name).

I didn't know about any of the backstage nonsense back then. I'm not even sure why I loved him so much. He was this small guy who always won. I loved everything about him, his finisher, his attire, his entrance. Then by the time I started watching wrestling fully the bastard retired. After that I never really hero worshipped anybody although I had my favourites like Road Dogg, the Hardy Boyz and others.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Shawn Michaels for me (as you can probably tell by the user name).

I didn't know about any of the backstage nonsense back then. I'm not even sure why I loved him so much. He was this small guy who always won. I loved everything about him, his finisher, his attire, his entrance. Then by the time I started watching wrestling fully the bastard retired. After that I never really hero worshipped anybody although I had my favourites like Road Dogg, the Hardy Boyz and others.
Your username and avatar combination deserve all the awards :lmao

One of the things I've always loved about Michaels is how everything in his ring work screamed babyface. Some call it flagrant overselling, I call it being tossed from pillar to post like a true damsel (duke) in distress.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I personally don't understand how wrestlers can be heroes or role models. You have to be easily impressionable for that. I grew up loving the godfather but never pimped up as a kid. Why because I'm not a creep.

·
Cult of Personality
245 Posts
I'm a little younger than the rest of you so for me it was Kurt Angle, so much. He was the first wrestling figure I owned and I would love him, heel or face, as a child this was a big deal for me because I would only like the 'nice' wrestlers.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
I wouldn;t say any wrestlers were my rolemodels, but when I was young jsut starting to watch wrestling I would have sonsdiered Hogan and Warrior as "heroes"

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
the Ultimate warrior was one of my childhood heros. He might not've been the greatest worker to some, but as a kid I didn't give a flying fuck. He was awesome.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. When I was a kid, I really enjoyed Warrior. He was a really extreme personality; just super charasmatic. He wasn't a brilliant technician or anything, but the guy had a superhuman personality that you just don't get anymore. I was only about 8 during Warrior's peak and I fucking loved him - he was a Behemoth!

·
Hot Dreams!
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. When I was a kid, I really enjoyed Warrior. He was a really extreme personality; just super charasmatic. He wasn't a brilliant technician or anything, but the guy had a superhuman personality that you just don't get anymore. I was only about 8 during Warrior's peak and I fucking loved him - he was a Behemoth!
If being a brilliant technician was the urgrund of success in wrestling, Dean Malenko would've been selling out Arenas for WCW in the late 90s. Truth is, the Ultimate Warrior made up for his lack of wrestling skills ten fold with his character alone. Hell, the man could be carried to great matches when pitted against guys like Randy Savage and Rick Rude.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well to be honest, i think CM Punk's character in 2011 had a profound effect on me that summer. I had a great falling out with a group of friends who turned on me and i looked to his attitude and quick shooting wit to show them up. Cheers.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
Stone Cold Steve Austin-Not the most talented,not a second or third generation star

1.Held back by WCW
2.Fired via Fedex
3.Goes to ECW
4.Catches the eye of the top company,WWE with his talent
5.Suffers a career-threatening injury
6.Becomes very limited in the ring

Despite all this he became perhaps the greatest wrestler of all time,takes a company that was on verge of being bankrupt as sole wrestling company in the world.In the process destroys WCW.

The face of pro-wrestling during it's most popular and richest time

Prior 96-Everything was becoming a failure in his life
Now-Arguably the greatest wrestler of all time.
Second richest wrestler in the business(Second only to Rock,who is very successful in Hollywood).The owner of WWE himself has personally called him the greatest wwe wrestler of all time

Perhaps the only wrestler to think as role model,as far as his career is concernedJouney of beating all odds to succeed..Not in real life though ad role model

·
Ex nihilo
9,319 Posts
Stone Cold Steve Austin-Not the most talented,not a second or third generation star

1.Held back by WCW
2.Fired via Fedex
3.Goes to ECW
4.Catches the eye of the top company,WWE with his talent
5.Suffers a career-threatening injury
6.Becomes very limited in the ring

Despite all this he became perhaps the greatest wrestler of all time,takes a company that was on verge of being bankrupt as sole wrestling company in the world.In the process destroys WCW.

The face of pro-wrestling during it's most popular and richest time

Prior 96-Everything was becoming a failure in his life
Now-Arguably the greatest wrestler of all time.
Second richest wrestler in the business(Second only to Rock,who is very successful in Hollywood)
7. Drinks excessive amounts of alcohol
8. Blatant disregard for rules and authority
9. Assaults women

:rolleyes:

Cena is the perfect role model for kids, maybe second only to take-your-vitamins-say-your-prayers Hogan

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Pretty much guys like Hogan,Steiner,Nash,Hall were my favorites(Huge nwo fan). When I grew up I learned from them that at the end of the day, lifes about money. No matter what field your in, people will stab others in the back to get ahead. These guys werent the first todo it and wont be the last.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts