Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Why can't fans change their opinions after a year? For example, I was excited when Homicide first came back after getting released by TNA. Then he stunk the joint out and I wanted him gone.

Plus Davey's already had the 4th longest reign in ROH history so you're not shortchanging him when you switch the belt to Steen, plus maybe for once in a long time ROH could actually do a title change when a guy's hot instead of doing it too late.

·
Working on a novel about about nothing
2,097 Posts
It usually seems that a obvious title change is a bad thing because there is no element of shock but ROH seems to be gifted these opportunities where a guy is on fire and it is almost certain that he is going to get the belt and the people want him to get it. People wanted Black to win the belt but ROH didn't pull the trigger quick enough and then tons of fans were pissed. Then many fans, maybe not on this board, were hoping Davey would take it from Black and that never happened. Steen is right now da boss so if ROH doesn't pull the trigger then I'm perplexed beyond belief.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I agree 100% with the guy in the part where he talks about the ROH fans, they will turn on Steen sooner or later too, always happen with ROH fans.
this is bullshit. It happened with Nigel, yeah, but is there anyone else who the ROH fans "turned on" that didn't coincide with shitty booking (Black) or a drastic decline in their match quality (Richards)?

The ROH fans, as much as people love to call them "fickle" and other bullshit, never turned on Homicide (who chased the belt for 3.5 years) or Joe (who held the belt forever). They haven't turned on Generico after five years of him playing the same character.

The ROH fanbase is (or at least used to be) smarter than they ever got credit for. Turning on Nigel was stupid, yeah, but you can't claim that it'll happen to every champion based on that because if the champ is booked well and has good matches, they'll be fine. They just haven't had that combination since Black, who everyone actually cheered for during his title run before he left for WWE. Heel champs are more entertaining, but that doesn't mean face champs can't work in ROH, they just have to be good. Joe was a face champ for nearly two years because he was good. It could work again, there's nothing stopping it apart from shitty booking and shitty wrestling.

·
Registered
613 Posts
this is bullshit. It happened with Nigel, yeah, but is there anyone else who the ROH fans "turned on" that didn't coincide with shitty booking (Black) or a drastic decline in their match quality (Richards)?

The ROH fans, as much as people love to call them "fickle" and other bullshit, never turned on Homicide (who chased the belt for 3.5 years) or Joe (who held the belt forever). They haven't turned on Generico after five years of him playing the same character.

The ROH fanbase is (or at least used to be) smarter than they ever got credit for. Turning on Nigel was stupid, yeah, but you can't claim that it'll happen to every champion based on that because if the champ is booked well and has good matches, they'll be fine. They just haven't had that combination since Black, who everyone actually cheered for during his title run before he left for WWE. Heel champs are more entertaining, but that doesn't mean face champs can't work in ROH, they just have to be good. Joe was a face champ for nearly two years because he was good. It could work again, there's nothing stopping it apart from shitty booking and shitty wrestling.
Yeah you are right i shouldn´t say always, but in the recent history is sense like is always that way with the fans, let´s see what happen with Steen once he become champion.

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,491 Posts
It usually seems that a obvious title change is a bad thing because there is no element of shock but ROH seems to be gifted these opportunities where a guy is on fire and it is almost certain that he is going to get the belt and the people want him to get it. People wanted Black to win the belt but ROH didn't pull the trigger quick enough and then tons of fans were pissed. Then many fans, maybe not on this board, were hoping Davey would take it from Black and that never happened. Steen is right now da boss so if ROH doesn't pull the trigger then I'm perplexed beyond belief.
The obvious title change at Final Battle 06 wasn't bad. I guess the obvious title change when Strong won was kind of a downer tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts