Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
26,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Henry Cavill is the best live-action Superman to date and his Man of Steel should get a proper sequel. In the meantime, I am here for his presence in the DC Universe films.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,949 Posts
This is best for both parties, he was a great Superman and his career isn't popping off the way he thought it would when he was trying to quit.

They should just do Flashpoint and replace this timeline's Batman with either Thomas Wayne or Dick Grayson, there's no need to blow up the DCEU because they lost Batfleck.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just give me Man of Steel 2, a proper sequel, and don't puss out and bow to the idiots that want it all Marvel-fied and think their way is the only way now.

Could Man of Steel had a few more light hearted and "classic" style Superman moments? Yes, but the tone and take on the character overall was fantastic.

More of that grittiness and realism with a little more "truth, justice and the American way" sprinkled in, with Brainiac as the villain, and you have a winner.

·
16,949 Posts
Just give me Man of Steel 2, a proper sequel, and don't puss out and bow to the idiots that want it all Marvel-fied and think their way is the only way now.

Could Man of Steel had a few more light hearted and "classic" style Superman moments? Yes, but the tone and take on the character overall was fantastic.

More of that grittiness and realism with a little more "truth, justice and the American way" sprinkled in, with Brainiac as the villain, and you have a winner.
I think lonely, depressed Superman is one of the best things Zack Snyder did for the Snyder murderverse although I'm admittedly a Snyder Stan and a Superman hater.

I think Superman had a great character arc brewing that got interrupted halfway through, MOS was literally his first day on the job after living his entire life in the shadows, in BvS he was starting to be the big blue boyscout but then humanity turned on him, when he died they realized how much he meant to them and he came back to save the day, the obvious logical progression is that in MOS2 he'd be the generic cornball God of benevolence that everybody loves and that I hate.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Not sure if I agree he's the best but tbf he's still a great superman and hard to judge when only one f the films he was in Man of Steel was actually any good (was actually really good imo things just fell apart immediately after) so would be a good move by Warner to get him back in the fold

·
Registered
10 Posts
can express how happy this makes me... like Christopher Reeve before him, Henry Cavill does understand the character. He expressed his disappointment at the handling of the character in Batman Vs Superman, and expressed his joy at the way Superman was portrayed in Joss Whedon's version of Superman.

as long as they keep Superman a character of truth, justice, hope, and optimism, I'm all for a MOS sequel

·
16,949 Posts
can express how happy this makes me... like Christopher Reeve before him, Henry Cavill does understand the character. He expressed his disappointment at the handling of the character in Batman Vs Superman, and expressed his joy at the way Superman was portrayed in Joss Whedon's version of Superman.

as long as they keep Superman a character of truth, justice, hope, and optimism, I'm all for a MOS sequel
And this is why Superman will always be the worst superhero.

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually, this is why, in my opinion, Superman will always be the best superhero.

Superman was never meant to be Batman. He was never meant to be a dark, vengeful vigilante.
if that's what you prefer, than by all means, go watch Batman.

·
16,949 Posts
actually, this is why, in my opinion, Superman will always be the best superhero.

Superman was never meant to be Batman. He was never meant to be a dark, vengeful vigilante.
if that's what you prefer, than by all means, go watch Batman.
He's the worst because he has godlike powers and he's the epitome of good, he's literally perfect in every way, there's no pathos there, he doesn't struggle with anything, his story is supposed to be about an alien trying to be human but he doesn't have any human personality traits, real people aren't 100% good and always optimistic. MOS Superman was the first time he seemed like a well-rounded character, the first time his story felt realistic.

Even a character like Flash who is basically 100% good had a moment of selfishness when he tried to save his mom and created Flashpoint. Hell, Wonder Woman stands for truth, justice and the American way too but she murdered Maxwell Lord in cold blood because under the lasso of truth he admitted it would be the only way to stop him. When superheroes don't struggle with emotional problems, physical limitations or moral dilemmas it makes them boring and generic.. like Superman.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"He's the worst because he has godlike powers and he's the epitome of good, he's literally perfect in every way, there's no pathos there, he doesn't struggle with anything, his story is supposed to be about an alien trying to be human but he doesn't have any human personality traits, real people aren't 100% good and always optimistic. MOS Superman was the first time he seemed like a well-rounded character, the first time his story felt realistic."

this makes me wonder if you're familiar with the history of the character... his humanity comes from him being raised by Martha and Jonathan Kent. They taught him that he had the choice to do either good or evil, and because of them, he chooses to do good. but even then, Clark knows he has the choice to not do good. that has always remained with this character.
in the very beginning, we see Superman make the wrong decision... early on, Lois duped him into a false story, which led him getting fired the then Daily Star... upon finding out he was duped, he did absolutely everything he could to regain his job. Thankfully, he did... and this isn't the only mess up he had in his early years, he's had many others... heck, in his early years, he even threatened those whom he caught to drop them mid-air!

to say that Superman doesnt struggle with "anything" is, by far, very inaccurate. This character has had struggles since the very beginning:
During the Golden Age, before he could fly, he had struggles... he had feelings, and had desires just like every other man does. I remember a panel, him being in a car with a pretty lady, and this lady asked him if he ever wanted to squeeze a woman tightly into his chest, be as close to a woman as he could, Clark responded in his mind by saying he wanted to, but his own fear was that he would accidentally break her ribs... at the time, his own powers was his greatest weakness, when all he wanted to do was to experience life like any other man did.
the crassness that Lois shows him, and yet how she melted over his alter ego has always been a weakness for him.

later on, yes, they did make Superman into a godlike being, giving him an unlimited supply of powers and abilities... and I, for one, did not like this iteration of Superman, because in that case, yes i agree, he was too powerful for his own good...however, the problem was not the character himself.. In 1954, the Comics Code Authority was created in order to stifle images and stories of sexuality and violence in comics, which greatly hindered story-telling during that time. it is this time period, and the civil unrest we saw as a nation in the 60s and early-mid 70s which led to a fall in popularity of this particular superhero, and actively made him into a joke... and thankfully, Richard Donner decided to make a film that not only set the standard for all comic book films after it, but also brought character back to his foundation

just because a character is 100% good and portrays optimism, does not automatically mean they are without weaknesses... During John Byrne's revamp in 1986, Superman was de-powered, and given a more limitations, which helped the character relate to the audience more, while still being 100% good and the beacon of optimism... and oh yeah, Superman struggled. One of the best story lines I've read from the Bronze Age was when Superman had to deal with domestic abuse, in a two part series called Crisis at Hand... with all of his powers and abilities, he got angry at a man who abused his wife, and he was helpless to stop it because she enabled him. i wont spoil it, but i highly recommend you read it

when DC Rebirth hit the shelves, we saw Superman with a family... and even with a character that can move a planet with his bare hands, even i know if you have a family, they are your biggest weakness... and DC Comics played into that. we saw the family dynamic that Superman had for 40 issues in Superman and Action Comics (until they screwed it all up with Bendis)...

Superman gets a bad rep because of how he has been portrayed in mainstream media... and i do beleive that all began with the CCA in 1954. had that department not been created, i do think the stories would have been better, more complex, and more genuine

"Even a character like Flash who is basically 100% good had a moment of selfishness when he tried to save his mom and created Flashpoint. Hell, Wonder Woman stands for truth, justice and the American way too but she murdered Maxwell Lord in cold blood because under the lasso of truth he admitted it would be the only way to stop him. When superheroes don't struggle with emotional problems, physical limitations or moral dilemmas it makes them boring and generic.. like Superman."

again, it is a misinterpretation to say Superman does not have emotional struggles... from dealing with abused children in the 30s, to domestic abuse in the 80s, to married life and marital strife in the 90s, to family life in 2016, Superman has his struggles... even those who are all good want to end evil, but there is a right way and a wrong way to do that.

i'll admit, i hated flashpoint, and the reasoning behind it... that storyline was used solely to rebrand the entire DC Franchise, and to redo Superman because the rights to the overall look and very backstory of Superman reverted to DC Comics, and the Siegel/Shuster families were ousted out of their creative control for the character. that's why his costume changed, why he was no longer married, and why he had a romantic relationship with Wonder Woman instead of Lois Lane

and Wonder Woman has never stood for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. that phrase has always been connected solely to Superman. as far as the writers having her murder Maxwell Lord, maybe the essence of that character allows for something like that, to be honest, i only know a general knowledge of Wonder Woman... but Superman was not raised to kill. that's why when we do see him kill (not in MoS, the comics, when he killed Zod and the other two Kryptonians) we see his guilt, his remorse, his shame, his regret haunt him for so long...

even in MoS, Zach Snyder's portrayal of Superman was one of hope and light... and in saying that, that is exactly why we need a character like Batman. Batman is the yin to Superman's yang, the dark to Superman's light. The reason Batman was so popular in the beginning was because of how dark the character was, and lost appeal when he became campy.

when it concerns the forces of good, both Batman and Superman stand for a certain way of handling things... both have their strengths and weaknesses. but when you try to blur the lines too much, like they did with Batman in the 50s and 60s, and Superman with BvS, these characters begin to step away from what they were originally meant to be for. BvS blurred the lines for Superman as well as Batman, and that ultimately hurt the Superman character in the long run. i struggle with that movie, because they're basically doing the same thing they did to Batman with the Adam West tv series... they're making the character into something he's not.

in Superman #710, during the Grounded storyline, when Superman decided to walk across the nation, questioning whether or not he should be Superman, it was Batman who reminded him where he needed to be:

"Sometimes the old ideas still work. And remember, I've got the shadows covered, Smallville... We need you out in the light"

·
Locker Room Leader
12,128 Posts
Cavill is a fantastic Superman, it's unfortunate that he's not gotten particularly great material to work with. I'd be all for him continuing as Supes. With Jason Momoa and Gal Gadot, he could be a nice franchise player for DCEU.
Wonder what happens to Batman. Pattinson is obviously too young to continue on as the Batfleck character so putting him in the same universe wouldn't work. I wouldn't mind Nightwing stepping up to the plate.

Reactions: SuperKal

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I am not convinced. But let's say its true, all this news just for a glorified cameo in Shazam 2 or Flashpoint or Black Adam? That's not really that big of a deal. It's much bigger news if they are making a Superman sequel or he has a big part in an upcoming DC movie.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
He's an amazing Superman. I hope this works out because I can't really see anyone replacing him. I really like Cavill as an actor he has a charisma to him. He was fantastic in Witcher and in Mission Impossible. He's a badass. I really hope they get Ben Affleck back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts