Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me grant wishes
Written: November 8, 2010

The WWE Universe can help John Cena in his efforts to bring joy to children with life-threatening medical conditions. through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

More than 70 percent of all wishes involve travel, and your Delta frequent flyer miles can help. Donate by e-mailing [email protected]. Be sure to include your full name, SkyMiles account number, telephone number and your donation amount (5,000 mile minimum). (WATCH)

For more than 25 years, WWE has worked with the Make-A-Wish Foundation to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. Now John Cena needs your help to continue this important work.

John Cena is one of the most requested and prolific celebrity wish granters for the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Now, the WWE Universe can help him in his efforts to help make kids’ wishes come true!

WWE.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK I wanted to get your opinions on this. How do you feel about the WWE asking us to give our SkyMiles (Have no idea what those are, I think they mean Air Miles) to pay for trips for the Make a Wish Foundation. To be honest I am happy the children get to have wishes fulfilled and have great moments. I am a former Help Fill a Dream Foundation recipient and it was an amazing experience (I got to go to Disneyland when I was 7). But I am not sure its really fair to ask people to give away their skymiles when those are not easy to get, I am not familiar with how America gives away their air miles as I am Canadian, but here in Canada they are not retrievable every day. Here in Canada you can get air miles only when you go on a trip or with some grocery store purchases, but even then its not a lot. I just don't think its really fair to ask people to give away sky miles when they are hard to save up as it is.

But I am mainly bother by the fact that you are NOT ALLOWED to give less then 5,000 skymiles per donation....I believe any amount of a donation is generous and thoughtful, telling people they have to donate no less the 5,000 isn't right. Like I said I don't know skymiles well and I don't know what 5,000 sky miles equal up to when it comes to getting a trip, but it sounds like a fair bit. I just think it would be better for the foundation to ask the public to donate a cash donation, and more importantly a donation they can afford no matter what it may be.

I wanted to see what you guys thought :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
There's likely a reason for the minimum - it might have something to do with the transaction and how it could be difficult to keep track of hundreds of really small donations.

As for them asking - why not? I have co-workers that have literally tens of thousands of frequent flyer miles that expire every month, and they don't use them because they're working and can't use them for vacation. It's especially common for employees that travel a great deal for their job, but their company lets them keep any miles they accumulate. If they're just going to expire, might as well transfer some to a good cause.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
It's a great program. Plenty of people earn miles that they can't or won't use, so why not put them to use for a fantastic cause? You get to make a contribution to a worthy charity, it doesn't cost you a dime, and Cena gets to grant more wishes to kids. Everybody wins.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
Cena: What is your wish little boy?
Kid: Please sir, if you could cure my life threatening disease as I am only 8 and would love to live a long and fulfilling life - meet new people, see new sights, marry, have kids and live into my old old age, a happy man.
Cena: *blank stare* erm... *another blank stare* *looks around the room* hey, have a t-shirt kid! word life! *leaves*
You are an asshole.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
But I am not sure its really fair to ask people to give away their skymiles when those are not easy to get,
How fair is it that Cena and other wrestlers do so much charity work and so many "normal people" don't? Whichever way you look at it, technically speaking Cena is more likely to grant wishes than we are. A wrestler could make a kid's day whereas I strongly doubt any of us could. Them asking for the skymiles isn't their way of being cheap, it's an opportunity for us to help in the same way that they do.

It's the equivalent of us giving him £1 so he can give the other £19. I think it's a great idea.

·
~Believe~
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it is incredibly cool. Like Cloverleaf, I too know a lot of people with miles that do not get used. What better cause could there be?
No I'm not saying its a bad cause, I just mean I find it interesting the put a set donation amount. Like I said I think any donation is thoughtful and it just gives me a bad feeling when people say that a donation lower then what they are asking is not acceptable. I definitely hope donations are received, but I just hope next time they accept any amount and maybe also accept cash donations for those who can only donate that way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts