Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While wrestling - Saturday evening WCW, in particular - was the warm fuzzy blanket of my childhood, I'm still catching up from a hiatus. The Attitude era mostly lost me. Things got gross and misogynistic, and really really puerile. I had only turned in for the occasional Wrestlemania until this spring, when some friends started reblogging WWE on Tumblr.

Now, I'm caught up on the current storylines. And I'm a huge fan of FCW/NXT/The New Kids. Like everybody else, I'm on team Bryan. I'm vaguely familiar with what the guys who are big now did in the indies.

What should I know to round out my lost years? I completely missed Lesnar the first time around. I was not around for the ascension of Cena, Orton, and those dudes. I'm really sad about missing the golden years of Edge and the Hardys, who I loved beyond all reason back in the day.

Fill me in, please.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually don't mind Cena that much. Would I prefer a top face with more technical ability? Sure. But that's never been a prerequisite to being on top in the WWE.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
While wrestling - Saturday evening WCW, in particular - was the warm fuzzy blanket of my childhood, I'm still catching up from a hiatus. The Attitude era mostly lost me. Things got gross and misogynistic, and really really puerile. I had only turned in for the occasional Wrestlemania until this spring, when some friends started reblogging WWE on Tumblr.

Now, I'm caught up on the current storylines. And I'm a huge fan of FCW/NXT/The New Kids. Like everybody else, I'm on team Bryan. I'm vaguely familiar with what the guys who are big now did in the indies.

What should I know to round out my lost years? I completely missed Lesnar the first time around. I was not around for the ascension of Cena, Orton, and those dudes. I'm really sad about missing the golden years of Edge and the Hardys, who I loved beyond all reason back in the day.

Fill me in, please.

Just know that they are currently (triple H) trying to rebuild all the divisions and aspects of WWE that they have ruined (vince) over the past 10(?) years or so.

You must rewatch EDGE's contribution over the years.

Check out MITB ladder matches as they're the most innovative thing to happen for years.

What are your thoughts on the brand split etc?

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you, you three. :)

Just know that they are currently (triple H) trying to rebuild all the divisions and aspects of WWE that they have ruined (vince) over the past 10(?) years or so.

You must rewatch EDGE's contribution over the years.

Check out MITB ladder matches as they're the most innovative thing to happen for years.

What are your thoughts on the brand split etc?
I actually watched the MITB matches on Amazon streaming, because I was confused about what the briefcase was. I think they could have been more interesting if getting the case wasn't basically the promise of a title. Having a few title attempts go sour in the early days would have made the suspense leading to the Will He/Won't He with Cena and Punk a little tenser.

As for the brand split, I missed it entirely. I understand the purpose of it, post WCW/ECW implosion, with so much of the TV-ready talent in one company. And from what I have gathered, as the roster has gotten smaller, the pretense of two separate brands has stopped. I do think if they're going to have the US and WHW championships, they should treat them with similar weight as the WWE Championship and the IC title.

Of course, I'd just love to have a good old fashioned story ABOUT the titles. Apparently that's too old fashioned, though.

The shows you watched back then were better than current ones. I think that's the gist.
If they had been, why did I stop watching?

If you've not seen elimination chambers, watch the first couple they're
pretty good they start to get pretty formulaic after a bit though.
I'll give them a shot. Cagey, gimmicky matches aren't my thing. (One Hell in a Cell was enough for me.) But the concept sounds interesting.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you, you three. :)

I actually watched the MITB matches on Amazon streaming, because I was confused about what the briefcase was. I think they could have been more interesting if getting the case wasn't basically the promise of a title. Having a few title attempts go sour in the early days would have made the suspense leading to the Will He/Won't He with Cena and Punk a little tenser.

As for the brand split, I missed it entirely. I understand the purpose of it, post WCW/ECW implosion, with so much of the TV-ready talent in one company. And from what I have gathered, as the roster has gotten smaller, the pretense of two separate brands has stopped. I do think if they're going to have the US and WHW championships, they should treat them with similar weight as the WWE Championship and the IC title.

Of course, I'd just love to have a good old fashioned story ABOUT the titles. Apparently that's too old fashioned, though.

If they had been, why did I stop watching?

I'll give them a shot. Cagey, gimmicky matches aren't my thing. (One Hell in a Cell was enough for me.) But the concept sounds interesting.

I think you should check out Smackdown from about 2003 to 2007, There were alot of great matches between Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Brock Lesnar, Eddie and Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, JBL, Booker T, Finlay among others that you will probably enjoy.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you should check out Smackdown from about 2003 to 2007, There were alot of great matches between Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, Brock Lesnar, Eddie and Chavo Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, JBL, Booker T, Finlay among others that you will probably enjoy.
You've said the magic words - Guerrero, Mysterio, Benoit. I wonder how much of that stuff is on the Smackdown on Netflix? Thanks for the recommendations!

One of the most memorable promos in WWE history. And I'm not even CM Punk fan.
I saw most of the moments you posted when I was catching up. That Punk promo was so fluid and fluent and looked effortless - which is why the most recent stories with him are so unsatisfying. They feel put-on.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
You've chosen to come back at the worst time possible. WWE had plenty of great stuff going post-Attitude Era from 2002-2006. Catch up with those years. When finished, might as well give 2007 (although there were plenty of bad stuff and the Benoit tragedy has made this a horrible year in retrospect) until Wrestlemania 25 a watch. Then after that, you wont miss out on anything meaningful or great.

·
Nobody's gay for Moleman.
1,523 Posts
Major Stars of the 2000's:

Brock Lesnar:
Brock Lesnar's debut (2002), Brock Lesnar vs. The Rock (SummerSlam 2002) and Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle (WrestleMania 19)

Shawn Michaels:
Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H (SummerSlam 2002), Elimination Chamber 1 (Survivor Series 2002), Shawn Michaels vs. Hulk Hogan (SummerSlam 2005), DX Reunite (2006), Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker (WrestleMania 25), Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker (WrestleMania 26)

Batista:
Royal Rumble Match 2005, Batista vs. Triple H (WrestleMania 21), Batista vs. Undertaker (Cyber Sunday 2007)

John Cena:
John Cena vs. Kurt Angle (SmackDown 2002), John Cena vs. Kurt Angle (No Way Out 2005), John Cena vs. JBL (WrestleMania 21), John Cena vs. Triple H (WrestleMania 22), John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania 23)

Undertaker:
Undertaker vs. Hulk Hogan (Judgment Day 2002), Undertaker vs. Batista (WrestleMania 23), Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania 25), Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (WrestleMania 26), Undertaker vs. Triple H (WrestleMania 28)

Edge:
Money In The Bank 1 (WrestleMania 21), Cash-in (New Year's Revolution 2006), Edge vs. Mick Foley (WrestleMania 22), Edge vs. Undertaker (WrestleMania 24), Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio (WrestleMania 27), Edge retires (SmackDown 2011)

CM Punk:
Money In The Bank (WrestleMania 24), Cash-in (RAW 2008), Money In The Bank (WrestleMania 25), Cash-in (Extreme Rules 2009), Shoot Promo (Raw 2011) CM Punk vs. John Cena (Money In The Bank 2011)

Randy Orton:
Randy Orton vs. Mick Foley (Backlash 2004), Randy Orton vs. Chris Benoit (SummerSlam 2004), Randy Orton vs. Triple H (No Mercy 2007(LMS)), Randy Orton vs. John Cena vs. Triple H (WrestleMannia 24), Randy Orton Face Turn (2010)

Triple H:
Triple H Awarded WHC (RAW 2002), Triple H vs. Booker T (WrestleMania 19), Face Turn (2006), Triple H vs. Randy Orton (WrestleMania 25), Triple H vs. Undertaker (WrestleMania 27), Triple H vs. Undertaker (WrestleMania 28)

The Rock:

The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan (WrestleMania X-8), The Rock vs. Steve Austin (WrestleMania 19), The Rock returns (RAW 2011), The Rock and John Cena vs. The Miz and R-Truth (Survivor Series 2011), The Rock vs. John Cena (WrestleMania 28)

Those are some matches that should help get you up to date on some of the top stars in the past ten years or so. I might post a few more later.

·
Ceramic Wizard Bong
3,993 Posts
You've said the magic words - Guerrero, Mysterio, Benoit. I wonder how much of that stuff is on the Smackdown on Netflix? Thanks for the recommendations!
Id highly recommend most SDs in the year or two immediatly following the brand split(late 02), Heyman was the lead writer at the time and assembled the 'smackdown 6' whcih was 3 teams comprising Eddie/Chavo, Edge/Mysterio and Angle/Benoit (who were feuding between themselves at the same time). The result was a shit-ton of absolutely fantastic matches comprising various lineups of the 6, all would eventually go on to become world champions of some sort.
Added to that you had Lesnar in the ME, Big Show putting on his best matches and the likes of Tajiri keeping the mid-card solid (Tajiris matches of this time are seriously underrated). Not to mention as certain young guy getting a rapper gimmick and looking like a serious contender for stardom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts