Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have face vs face fueds/matches so why not do it for the heels. It would be something different to see I think. Imagine, two heels like Wade Barrett and Alberto Del Rio fueding over a No.1 contendership to challenge Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship. It wouldn't be hard to see happening since both men want nothing in the world then to hold the World Heavyweight title. Apart from that, they could both do dirty heelish tactics in the ring to try to get the upper hand and could constantly argue about who the better person is to challenge for Sheamus WHC title. But that's just a scenario of a heel vs heel fued I thought up, there are other ideas that could be used, mine is just an example.

Now I realise there are a few problems for this. But i'm sure they can be overlooked if the fued is entertaining, and like I said it would be something different.

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
They have face vs face fueds/matches so why not do it for the heels.
Because face v face feuds have reason and heel v heel ones don't.
Also because casuals won't pay to see heel v heel.

As for the 'reason', you can pit a face who's slightly less over than another face to get one of the faces over more.

You can't do that with heels. You can only make a certain heel a face that way, or do absolutely nothing for character development.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The problem with heel vs heel is if you don't like either wrestler, why do you care about the match.

I think having a heel vs heel feud is OK if both heels are well established wrestlers. If they had a heel Jericho vs heel Orton feud it would work fine. If it was a feud with two heels that don't get much reaction like a heel Del Rio vs heel Swagger, then no one would give a shit IMO.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
In smark city it will work, but as a full length feud they don't really last due to the fans not usually caring about neither man, as mentioned.

Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel back in 1992 is a very underrated feud, it was heel vs heel. There isnt nothing wrong with heel vs heel feuds if done right, but with the WWE like it is today, you can bet your ass it wouldn't be done right.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
It's very difficult to execute heel vs heel matches, let alone feuds, because the casual crowd won't care. If it's 2 guys they don't like it won't work well. They tend to be able to be done only when one or both heels are popular, therefore giving a reason to cheer for one. Only recent heel vs heel matches I remember were Orton/Sheamus at Royal Rumble '10 and Legacy/Jerishow at some PPV before Summerslam in 2009, probably The Bash or Vengeance or something. Both only worked because one side had established people that the crowd cheered for. And from what I remember the tag match barely worked. It's definitely possible to do today but very difficult.

·
Ho!
17,553 Posts
Heel/Heel could work. Edge/Orton had a mini-feud in 07 after breaking up Rated RKO, and they ended up having a great match to close the show.

Of course, Orton/Sheamus at RR2010 is an example of a failed Heel vs. Heel feud/match.

It's already been stated why heel vs heel feuds don't work, but I personally dig them. I love seeing two bad guys going at it to destroy each other, which is probably why I love that Edge/Orton match even more. Hell, in the past few weeks they've had Prime Time Players vs. Primo and Colon, Ziggler/Swagger, and Ziggler/Del Rio. Now granted none of them were real feuds (though Ziggler/Swagger did have some lengthy back story) but I still enjoyed them to some degree.

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
It doesn't mean that heels aren't liked, it's just that the vast majority of the audience doesn't like heels, thus wouldn't be fully engaged in the feud, nor care who wins.

Heel vs. heel feuds usually result in 1 of them becoming a face.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think people on here are underestimating wrestling fans in general. That casual fans won't care about the heels. In reality fans care about heels just as much as faces. Hell heels get cheered more often then faces do. So I don't think it's an issue of fans not caring about heel wrestlers. As someone already said, if done right it has potential.

As I already said in my example. If heel wrestler have a reason to fued, like the right to face a champion then it should happen. In the wrestling world, heels want nothing more then to win titles. So I can't see why it wouldn't bring them into conflict with each other with their greedy natures.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Well they did. Not an actual rivalry, but didn't Del Rio and Ziggler fight for the Number #1 Contendership for the WHC a number of weeks back?

·
Banned
14,118 Posts
I think people on here are underestimating wrestling fans in general. That casual fans won't care about the heels. In reality fans care about heels just as much as faces. Hell heels get cheered more often then faces do. So I don't think it's an issue of fans not caring about heel wrestlers. As someone already said, if done right it has potential.

As I already said in my example. If heel wrestler have a reason to fued, like the right to face a champion then it should happen. In the wrestling world, heels want nothing more then to win titles. So I can't see why it wouldn't bring them into conflict with each other with their greedy natures.
If a heel is cheered then they're not doing well enough as a heel and/or the smarks will always love them regardless.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's the usual scenario of something that the IWC/smarks will love, and the casuals will hate. So it won't happen.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If a heel is cheered then they're not doing well enough as a heel and/or the smarks will always love them regardless.
In this day and age, heels get cheered and faces get booed though. I agree it's their job to get hated/loved. But you can't help how things are. Faces like Cena get booed while heels like Punk last year got cheered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heel vs Heel would work out if they used the right names. For example, Jericho or Orton vs Edge (obviously he can't wrestle now, but he was a good heel).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts