Wrestling Forum banner

Heel Cole = Even Worse Play-by-Play

1658 Views 23 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  rcc
Heel Cole is a great persona since he seems so genuine with his insults and whatnot. But my god, it just makes his play-by-play commentary look even worse.

So far, Punk has used 4 submissions that Cole has called the Anaconda Vise, and he only got it right once during the Undertaker fued. Thank god for Booker's quick thinking as well; he acknowledges Cole's commentary and slowly slips the REAL name of the move as opposed to Striker who flat-out corrects it. One example is when Cole called a Scoop Slam twice in a row during the RAW EC and Booker called it as well before quickly calling it a Scoop Powerslam, then just a Powerslam xDDD
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
He so concerned about himself, but its not about him. Its not about getting himself over, its about the wrestlers. Cole doesn't even call most matches, and when he does he calls them poorly and with incorrect names.

Its not just you, many people have been complaining about this the last month.

The solution is to turn him full time heel and let Striker be the face play-by-play guy when Lawler retires.

· Registered
3,749 Posts
I love Cole's character.His heel antics and mannerisms are great.

However as a play by play announcer he's piss poor really ,Jerry Lawler is still the worst announcer .These days he's just plain lazy and not enteraining in any way.

· You're better than that Cole.
4,004 Posts
I'm just going to quote an old post of mine that is related to this thread.

I honestly don’t believe how half of you even consider Cole a great wrestling commentator. Is he entertaining? He most certainly is if he is AWAY from the commentary table. That video that the OP posted of him on NXT in the ring with a microphone is a perfect example. Cole is only entertaining if he is in the role of an authority figure. Period. His character is perfect if he is in that role, but strictly as a commentator? He is absolutely horrible cause he is so busy trashing talking the other announcers, burying great talent or talking about what happen to Miz last week on RAW for 45 minutes during a match.

That’s what make you a great wrestling commentator from most of you people standards?

Cole is so caught up into his Heel persona that he can’t call a good match. Like someone said earlier in this thread, do you honestly want to sit back at Wrestlemania with your friends and buddies, watching the superbowl of pro wrestling and witness a great match about to take place between Daniel Bryan VS CM Punk but you got Cole screaming and hollering through his headset about how DB is so useless and a big nerd for 30 minutes?

Are you guys really anticipated to witness something like this?

I can understand someone like Pyro loving Cole cause he don’t care what’s going on in the ring from what I heard, just mic workers and promos.

If you want to witness the definition of a GREAT Heel commentator of this era, look no further then this man.

and funny thing is Booker T is miles better then Cole. He is so bad that he is actually good and put over any talent whether they are Face or Heel.

· Banned
5,331 Posts
Agree ....everyone's all over his nuts but he's a heel now and once in a while brings the lulz.

It doesn't change the fact that he's god awful and pathetic at his job.
Worst announcer in ANYTHING EVER. WWE , Football , Basketball , anything.
Cole is terrible.

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
In a different era he would never have become an announcer. He would have remained as interviewer and given more authority roles. He would have been made GM and be the manager and mouthpiece for several heel wrestlers. Cole as interviewer, GM, manager for Miz and Riley, that seems to be the natural role. I would enjoy that more than the half assed announcing.

· GOAT
4,616 Posts
I know the colour commentator is usually a guy who has the experience in what he's calling, however Cole is far better suited to the role. Like you said, he's called the Figure Four Headlock, Koji Clutch, amongst many other moves, the anaconda vise, which is not even similar. Get him doing colour commentary if/when King retires, and get someone who can actually do play-by-play, i.e. Josh Matthews in. That way he can suck Miz's cock etc as much as he wants.

· Registered
1,470 Posts
cole is pathetic! Getting involved in his butt buddy's matches. Commentators should never get involved in matches. Maybe if he called the matches he gets involved in and stop verbally banging the miz every 2 seconds he would be good. And your lame tail off SD. Go suck miz's balls on raw. And he needs to stop buring wrestlers with his stupid comments. Not putting anybody over is what his job is, yet he doesn't do it. "Is it over yet", "He messed up the line", falling "asleep" at the annoccer's table, it's just annoying. A franking commentator should NOT be getting more heat than half the heels in the wwe. That is just pathetic, and stupid to even put than *** on tv yelling and shouting about the smallist crap. I hate cole and his sperm producer and the coleminners who claim he is good who are nothing more than miz marks just hanging on to miz's balls like cole is!

· kazooing my way to awesomeness
161 Posts
Originally Posted by The King of Blaze

I honestly don’t believe how half of you even consider Cole a great wrestling commentator. Is he entertaining? He most certainly is if he is AWAY from the commentary table. That video that the OP posted of him on NXT in the ring with a microphone is a perfect example. Cole is only entertaining if he is in the role of an authority figure. Period. His character is perfect if he is in that role, but strictly as a commentator? He is absolutely horrible cause he is so busy trashing talking the other announcers, burying great talent or talking about what happen to Miz last week on RAW for 45 minutes during a match.

That’s what make you a great wrestling commentator from most of you people standards?

Cole is so caught up into his Heel persona that he can’t call a good match. Like someone said earlier in this thread, do you honestly want to sit back at Wrestlemania with your friends and buddies, watching the superbowl of pro wrestling and witness a great match about to take place between Daniel Bryan VS CM Punk but you got Cole screaming and hollering through his headset about how DB is so useless and a big nerd for 30 minutes?

Are you guys really anticipated to witness something like this?

I can understand someone like Pyro loving Cole cause he don’t care what’s going on in the ring from what I heard, just mic workers and promos."

I have to say this is pretty much how I feel with regards to him. He has his heel persona nailed down to a T and when it's used in the right segment, works wonderfully.

Unfortunately he has no idea when to actually stop this and simply call a match and put the wrestlers in the ring 'over.' At the end of the day we watch the WWE for the wrestlers, not the commentators. The commentators should immerse us in what is going on in the ring, whether it be a promo or a match and Cole has completely lost sight of that, he uses his entire air time to put himself over and it leaves me beyond frustrated when I just want a match called.

In the elimination chamber matches he had obviously been told to simply call the match and cut out the silliness and aside from his average play by play commentary, did a good job. In all the other segments he reverted back to completely burying everyone else out there, the only time that was needed, was during the Miz - Lawler match (a match he has a story arc with, and as such, is a perfect time to use and develop his heel character.)

· Registered
419 Posts
He should be a manager for the Miz, and then ONLY a guest commentator for the Miz (so we don't have to get "awry with A-ri"... or whatever his dumb catchphrase was).

As a commentator, he's in close competition with Gus Johnson from StrikeForce (MMA) as worst commentator in "professional" sports.

· Registered
12,138 Posts
Yeah, as a play by play commentator, he's fucking awful. He takes people out of the match with him trying to be a major douche bag. Yeah, he doesn't try to call matches.

· Registered
868 Posts
Cole = Color-Commentator
Josh Matthews = Play-by-Play Commentator

Nuff said'

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.