Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread title is self explanatory.

Okay so hear me out, if a wrestler is in a company with the World Championship as it's top title, i get why they'd want a Cruiserweight belt, i get why they'd want a Hardcore belt, i get why they'd want the Tag Belts, hell i even get why they'd want to be the Television Champion, but strictly in kayfabe, i can't see the logic in them wanting the title that says i'm not *quite* the best wrestler in the world.

So a 'Heavyweight Championship' (apart from sounding cool) gives a good, solid, storyline reason as to why a wrestler would actually want that title as opposed to the World Championship.

I should point out I'm not diminishing the value of a secondary title, it's a brilliant concept, not everyone can be top guy, they give the upper mid carders something to fight for, they often act as a stepping stone to the main event & are prestigious championships to hold in & of themselves & often carry the show when the top title is AWOL (*cough* Hulk Hogan *cough* Brock Lesnar *cough*) just that for a secondary title to work, in kayfabe, it shouldn't feel like a secondary title.

· Registered
1,881 Posts
The terms "world championship" and "heavyweight championship" have been used synonymously in wrestling for decades. "Heavyweight championship" doesn't even make much sense, since there are no weight classes in pro wrestling, at least not when it comes to main eventers (you may have a cruiserweight division, but that's usually composed of smaller guys that a company sees as lower/mid card guys.)

· Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I'd rather they get rid of weight classes all together. It doesn't make sense in the context of wrestling unless they're going to go all the way like UFC and break down EVERY weight class. Just stick with the basics. World, Tv, US, Tag, Women's. The only thing I might add is Women's Tag if they ever get enough on the roster.

· Registered
37,516 Posts
I don't quite get your reasoning. If you don't get why they'd want a title that means they're not quite the best like say the IC or US title, I don't see what calling it the heavyweight title. A midcard title is a midcard title.

· Registered
2,610 Posts
A World Championship and World Heavyweight Championship are essentially the same thing.

Wrestling following the usual rules when it comes to weight classes, where there is a maximum weight, but no minimum weight. This means that anyone from any weight division can win the Heavyweight title. You can work above your weight class, but not below.

Reactions: SMW

· Registered
980 Posts
No. Also wrestlers compete for midcard titles because they are trying to build themselves up, redeem themselves, prove they still got it, etcetc. There's a lot of reasons to compete for a lower title. I wouldn't even involve tag titles in this conversation because that's a division entirely on its own that has the potential to main event shows with the right story and momentum.

I want them to adopt a unique title. The ROH Pure Championship was really cool in its time. We'll see what route they go.

· Banned
4,162 Posts
If you don't get a quote here then I didn't see your post

EDIT: Richie_P I wouldn't say no to trying it again

Thread title is self explanatory.

Okay so hear me out, if a wrestler is in a company with the World Championship as it's top title, i get why they'd want a Cruiserweight belt, i get why they'd want a Hardcore belt, i get why they'd want the Tag Belts, hell i even get why they'd want to be the Television Champion, but strictly in kayfabe, i can't see the logic in them wanting the title that says i'm not *quite* the best wrestler in the world.

So a 'Heavyweight Championship' (apart from sounding cool) gives a good, solid, storyline reason as to why a wrestler would actually want that title as opposed to the World Championship.

I should point out I'm not diminishing the value of a secondary title, it's a brilliant concept, not everyone can be top guy, they give the upper mid carders something to fight for, they often act as a stepping stone to the main event & are prestigious championships to hold in & of themselves & often carry the show when the top title is AWOL (*cough* Hulk Hogan *cough* Brock Lesnar *cough*) just that for a secondary title to work, in kayfabe, it shouldn't feel like a secondary title.
ive heard that the CMLL heavyweight belt is merely a token, so its not out of the question

The terms "world championship" and "heavyweight championship" have been used synonymously in wrestling for decades. "Heavyweight championship" doesn't even make much sense, since there are no weight classes in pro wrestling, at least not when it comes to main eventers (you may have a cruiserweight division, but that's usually composed of smaller guys that a company sees as lower/mid card guys.)
there should be weight classes, or none at all, maybe, just a thought

I'd rather they get rid of weight classes all together. It doesn't make sense in the context of wrestling unless they're going to go all the way like UFC and break down EVERY weight class. Just stick with the basics. World, Tv, US, Tag, Women's. The only thing I might add is Women's Tag if they ever get enough on the roster.
TV?! US?! Dude pro wrestling show doesn't need a tv show

and ENOUGH WITH THE AMERICANISATION! though last I checked no-one has a North American Continental belt so...

also every singles division must have a team division alongside it

Nope weight named belts are stupid.

They just need a competitors Fighting Champion type belt that can be used more often in the world belt can only be used on Pay-per-view.

AEW Elite championship would be a perfect name
An elite championship...hmm... well I've heard of worse belt names

I don't quite get your reasoning. If you don't get why they'd want a title that means they're not quite the best like say the IC or US title, I don't see what calling it the heavyweight title. A midcard title is a midcard title.
heavyweight belts come in all shapes and sizes, what's your point?

Why Heavyweight Championship, though?

Seems like the justification for having a Heavyweight Championship would be another weight specific title, which establishes it's existence beyond the perception of it being "secondary".
that's what Openweight is for

A World Championship and World Heavyweight Championship are essentially the same thing.
for too long, ask any fan of Mayweather or Mcgregor

Wrestling following the usual rules when it comes to weight classes, where there is a maximum weight, but no minimum weight. This means that anyone from any weight division can win the Heavyweight title. You can work above your weight class, but not below.
there should be more rigid rules on weight classes, like any contact sport does

WWE tried having two world titles with different names in the first draft. look how that turned out.
that's because they were on two different brands/shows, hard to explain to newbies, believe me

No. Also wrestlers compete for midcard titles because they are trying to build themselves up, redeem themselves, prove they still got it, etcetc. There's a lot of reasons to compete for a lower title. I wouldn't even involve tag titles in this conversation because that's a division entirely on its own that has the potential to main event shows with the right story and momentum.

I want them to adopt a unique title. The ROH Pure Championship was really cool in its time. We'll see what route they go.
i'm curious as to what counts to you as an acceptable story in wrestling

also, The Pure Championship doesn't make sense conceptually or on it's own, there's a reason they abandoned it

though I do agree on unique belts, like TNA's Legends Championship or AAA's intergender tag belts

· Registered
2,610 Posts
MMA and boxing follow the same rules, where a fighter from a lower weight class is allowed to compete in the weight class above them. That's why boxers and fighters can hold two different weight class titles at the same time.

Weight classes almost always have a maximum allowed weight, but no minimum required weight.

· Banned
24,476 Posts
They aren't using the term heavyweight. There isn't weight classes, Tony Khan confirmed this.

He doesn't want wrestlers to feel there is a ceiling because they are a certain height or weight.

They don't need a secondary title so early on.

World title
Tag titles
Womens title.

Sorted.

They need to actually build up their lower and mid card to the point where there should be stakes for them to fight over. Because a lazy booking angle in wrestling is "Wrestler A wants to feud with Wrestler B because he's champion" - I'd like them to be a bit more creative and have real reasons for these guys in the mid card to feud. Eventually, it should lead to a match or tournament that determines a mid card champion.

If wins and losses matter, you run into a little bit of a problem when you are a mid card champion and you're winning as many matches as the world champion because you'd be in the running to challenge the world champion for a match.

· Premium Member
3,552 Posts
TV?! US?! Dude pro wrestling show doesn't need a tv show

and ENOUGH WITH THE AMERICANISATION! though last I checked no-one has a North American Continental belt so...

also every singles division must have a team division alongside it
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or a dumbass.

It HAS a TV show and It's an American company. Even New Japan has an American title now. Pro Wrestling was
incubated here and grew to what it is today. It's never going away. It's like telling soccer to get rid of the UEFA because it's too European. I don't like nationalism either but If people don't like American championships in wrestling maybe they should've created pro wrestling.

:shrug

· Registered
4,442 Posts
I don't really get through your post op.

Heavyweight means big guys competing for the title (though in wrestling, this has never been a strict rule), but it is still a heavyweight title so having it as a secondary title sounds weird as fuck.

I mean, this would be a bizarre world where big guys are in the midcard.

· Registered
29,994 Posts
The only way something like that works is if AEW had a slew of heavyweights and super heavyweights on their roster but they're smaller guys like Omega were their main stars.

The thing is though a guy like Omega is the norm now in terms of build. Hell, he's probably a bit bigger than the norm. So for the most part wrestling isn't diverse enough to do something like that.

PROGRESS used to have an Atlas Division Championship which was for their bigger guys. So guys like Pete Dunne and Tyler Bate would fight for the main title and bigger guys like WALTER and Matt Riddle fought for the Atlas Division Championship. But even that had a shelf life. And again, most of AEW's main guys (Omega, Mox, Cody, Jericho, Hangman, MJF, PAC, etc.) are all roughly the same size.

So no, it's not something I would consider.

· Registered
4,817 Posts
No thanks. It is stupid. Let's call the top belt- World's championship, secondary/workrate belt- North American championship, Tag Team championship, and Women's world championship.

Being unnecessarily creative is going to result in crap ideas like the Universal champion, global heavyweight champion, tri continental champion and other stupid names that would set the trend for future screw ups like so many other promotions.

They intend on showing a sports centric promotion, they need to learn from nwa and keep it simple. The TV deal is important so they need to focus on constantly communicating with those TV folks and shoot down their stupid ideas diplomatically.

Wrestling promotions failed in the past because the ones running didn't know how to behave diplomatically. TV guys have a certain perception about the industry that can only change if the guy running the business knows how to negotiate with them without being a bitch or condescending prick.

Looking at the stuff on TV, they should have no problem putting mature content on TNT just as long as the guy in charge has a passion for changing wrestling for goodwhile at the same time knows how to deal with stakeholders.

People will tune in as long as they don't do stupid shit like WWE. Hell if they are all out of ideas a good place to start would be being different than their competitor and have a long term vision. Screwing up names of title belts and then calling yourself a sports style promotion would be a big mistake.

· Banned
4,162 Posts
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or a dumbass.

It HAS a TV show and It's an American company. Even New Japan has an American title now. Pro Wrestling was
incubated here and grew to what it is today. It's never going away. It's like telling soccer to get rid of the UEFA because it's too European. I don't like nationalism either but If people don't like American championships in wrestling maybe they should've created pro wrestling.

:shrug
overacting much? I wasn't referring to AEW specifically. Several promotions have lost whatever tv time they had and are still alive.

Am I supposed to give lip service to Japan every time I enjoy sushi that wasn't even made there? Or to Kazakhstan whenever I enjoy anything with apple in it?

there should be a national title for every country that practices this once great sport, in all viable categories.

just remember that there are other countries besides the most relevant ones

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.